LG Optimus G Software Update - LS970ZVB
- Android 4.1.2 Jellybean
- Google Now™
- Expandable, actionable notifications
- Android Beam™ to send photos and more
- QuickTranslator application downloadable from the Application Manager
- Smoother user interface. Vsync timing across all drawing and animation done by the Android framework,
including application rendering, touch events, screen composition and display refresh; and triple buffering
in the graphics pipeline
- User-installable keyboard maps
- Ability to turn off notifications on an app specific basis
- Shortcuts and widgets can automatically be re-arranged or re-sized to allow new items to fit on home screens
- Bluetooth data transfer for Android Beam
- Improved voice search
- Improved camera app
- Android mobile version of Google Chrome replaces stock Android browser
- Ability for other launchers to add widgets from the app drawer without requiring root access
- Software version is LS970ZVB
- Refer to the LG Optimus G Software Update blog for install instructions
Message was edited by: dshoem01 - updated software version number
I'm not sure why everyone is excited about getting Jellybean 4.1.0 since there has been 3 updates since that version was released last year. I guess we'll see Jellybean 4.2.2 after Key Lime Pie is released. So far I've found out that getting an accurate answer about anything from a Sprint customer service employee is impossible.
Because an update, regardless of how far behind it may seem, is still an update. Would you rather be stubborn and stay on ICS "just because"? Personally, I was awaiting google now, because I was curious about using it on a daily basis with a device I always have with me.
I didn't really notice any performance improvements, mostly because the phone is so fast already. I noticed a few additions/changes to the photo app, but nothing big. Still, with an upgraded OS version, you get access to more and more app features as well (theoretically you get actionable features in the notification tray for emails--if that version of the gmail update actually worked for me after I updated to 4.1...which it does not work...).
I guess I just got excited to find out we were finally getting the Jellybean update. I just assumed we were getting the latest update. To be honest, this Optimus ran great on IC. It just seams like Sprint just wanted to be able to claim that it the Optimus was running Jellybean, even just barely.
@teh_chem: The new actionable and expandable notifications in the tray work fine for me with the new update, including those for Gmail. Not sure what went wrong on yours. Did you update gmail? An update came out for it around the same time as this update.....try updating it.
Also, I see a lot of the improvements and new features, incluging Google Now, faster animations and scrolling, much better voice typing and voice search, etc.
My phone downloads the update, confirms the download, restarts the phone to install the update, gets about 20% of the way and then I see a dead android icon. The phone then reboots back into ICS and everything is the same.
Yes, in fact it's the updated version of gmail that has the problems and crashes. A few other people have noticed/reported this in other forums after the 4.1 update rolled out from Sprint. I rolled back to the previous gmail update (before the version that supported faster search and actionable items in the tray which came out on the 18th of March, and gmail functions properly).
Ok, so once again I'm not entirely impressed with the technological abilities of Sprint combined with LG.
Did anyone at Sprint test this update before implementing the roll out? Overall the general UI seems to have improved slightly, with snappier responses to opening or closing apps and or settings within the OS. Notification bar is working properly for me. I still have some issues with certain apps not rendering text on the screen properly, mostly in a header or tile, Google+ included. Also, as other previous posts have noted, the circular effect associated with locking the screen is no longer available. I've also noticed that the image of the lock with the pulsating partially transparent circle encompassing it on the lock screen is also gone. All of these issues are basically cosmetic but ya think someone would have noticed.
Now on a more serious note. I tried to perform a factory reset of my phone, just to see if it would address those minor cosmetic issues. The phone went through the process with the image of the animated android and a progress bar below on the screen. This did not correct the issues, so I figured I would pull up the Android recovery screen by pressing the volume down and power button simultaneously. WARNING! ! I do NOT recommend trying that! After 4 or 5 failed attempts, it finally went into recovery mode. The only problem was now the power button had no effect and I couldn't select ANY options! Eventually after some time passed it did the wipe, then once again I was stuck in recovery limbo! ! Once again, eventually after an even longer period during which my phone was getting very warm, front and back at the top, it finally rebooted. Absolute terrible update history Sprint, considering an update basically destroyed both my wife's and my Optimus S. Not being able to use the Android recovery is a major problem! !!
1.) Access and functionality of Android recovery seriously problematic.
2.) Revised above to Google+ (Incorrect text rendering) , instead of Google Now
3.) Lock screen animation changed and actual lock graphic on locked screen missing.
So I will start by saying I am no smartphone wizard, but after installing the update from sprint, i can no longer use Chrome, all apps start up only to immediately crash and revert back to the home screen and the phone can't recognize when the charger is connected. I've tried it from home with differing outlets, my car charger, and the outlets at work. nothing. I think its time to go speak to the never sarcastic, always curteous employees at the local Sprint store. Wish me luck. Is there a warranty on these things? Jelly Bean blows in my experience, maybe i'll just get an iphone 5. the battery on that never went dead in 5 hours from songza and npr radio over a wifi connection... any thoughts?
I had the same problem. Goto Settings-Apps and find Chrome. Uninstall it. Then go to Google Play store and redownload. I lost my bookmarks in this process so backup if you can just in case.
i just updated my Optimus G after updating the local Sprint Store Optimus G and there are somethings that a lot of you are being critical about and not clear on either.
first i run a stock Optimus G....not rooted with stock launcher.
1. dewdrop lock screen effect is still here. it has not been taken away. go Menu>lock screen settings>Screen effect>Dewdrop. i have no clue why some of you are saying its gone. It on my Phone and on the Sprint Store Optimus G aswell.
2. weather clock widget is different and BETTER! its animated better and has more colors. the rain and snow are awesome. if you seen youtube videos of the opitmus g jb update out of Korea showing the two christmas trees with snow....we have that effect for snow. it's cool
3. you will need to unistall google chrome and reinstall(crashes for no reason). remember to turn on syncing, if not you think your bookmarks are missing.
4. just like with any other update let your phone battery get extremely low then recharge it. this is suppose to make your battery life better after an update. i say do this if you notice your battery drains to FAST.
TRY THIS IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH SYNCING
5. I ran into my Contacts were not syncing correctly. When you go into Account & Sync. Select your gmail Account. For me my Contacts had the sync icon with an exclamation mark...which mean syncing error of some sort. I ran around this problem and found one solution besides wiping your phone. First i removed my Gmail account from my phone (Ahhh S!@T, i know). i restarted my phone, you may not have to. Then Go to Apps>All>Google Services Framework and Clear data (i cleared it twice, 108kb keep popping up). Restart the phone again. Go thru the motions and sign into your Gmail account. i went thru the playstore to sign in. then i went to Account and sync and turned on the sync for Contacts first! Then turned on sync to everything else or select Auto-Sync data
Now all syncing is working beautiful. also you may need to run thru all apps to double check syncing is going on for any given app you use.
NOTE: When removing my gmail account i did not loss any text messages.
Besides the mentioned above the The Update was quick and painless. People can complain about Q slide which is completely different than dual screen function like on the Samsung Note 2. I noticed one new widget for Weather Clock (Three total now, was two) and some Play Widgets (i think theyre related to Google Play Music app)
Also, before updating, update your Profile first then install the update. Followi the instructions. Also, put the phone on the charger and let it update...leave it alone.