Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Group Messaging?

Journeyman

Group Messaging?

Hi!  Is there anyway to group message on this phone?  I've tried numerous apps and nothing works.  If I check use MMS for group messaging the message will not send.  Otherwise I can send to multiple recipients, but all messages return as individual and not one conversation.  I know the phone is two years old , but why hasn't LG/Sprint updated the Android OS?  I plan on keeping this phone until new options are available for Windows Phones or I leave.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Master

RDD1975

I don't want to see you leave over this. Unfortunately, software updates are not announced, but as the phone ages, the updates come out less frequently. I'm not sure if the Optimus G will receive another update, so you can keep tabs of that on the phone forum page, as releases are announced there. Since this is an andriod phone, you might try google hangouts to see if you can send a group message. When you go into the SMS app, are you unable to add multiple names to a message?

- Robin W
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Thanks for responding.  I can send a message to multiple names, but the response to the message is linked to that contact not the initial group message. So, if I send a message to 10 people I get 10 separate responses, which is annoying.  Its just sad that this phone is left to die.  Its still a very good/advanced phone just needs the update, which I believe allows for group messaging.

Just waiting patiently for a windows phone or better plan options for Android Phones.  I'm very happy with the price I pay now, so no rush on a new phone.

Thanks again for your speedy response.

Master

RDD1975

I see, thanks for your response. I understand what you're saying, I still have my iphone 4S and it's in pretty good shape, but there will come a day when Apple stops pushing software updates. I can't honestly say why android phones don't push as many or as often, or when they stop pushing them because it depends on largely the manufacturer. Sprint weighs in on updates, but it's ultimately up to the manufacturer and google to decide when and which model gets an update. I don't blame customers for sticking with what works, new phones are really expensive. I have a co-worker who has the original EVO LTE, and he has the same issue with group texts and for whatever reason, he gets different responses fed to you individually. Have you tried Hangouts to see if that works? You posted that you'd tried different app options, but I was just curious to see if hangouts would fix it.

- Robin W
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

HI.  Yes, I tried Hangouts and it did not help.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Master

RDD1975

Uh, oh. I did some additional digging and someone posted this same issue back in 2013. One of the posters had a good suggestion, but it didn't resolve the issue. It seems, however, that if you respond to the "individual" text that was associated with the group, that everyone will get the message, but I understand that it's a logistical nightmare when trying to determine if the messenger is responding to your group message and not sending you a new message. I've included the link, so that you can see what I'm talking about. Visit: https://community.sprint.com/baw/message/566530. I wish I had better news. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Have a good evening!

- Robin W
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Handcent SMS seems to work, but feels rather bloated. It looks like they'd prefer you run things through their servers. It's not a requirement, but it still feels a bit untrustworthy.

I think the difference is that Handcent doesn't access WiFi for MMS, but only uses mobile data (3G/4G).

Hangouts is on this phone (LG Optimus G LS970) and cannot be deleted (an "upgrade" from the old Google Talk). I find it quite annoying that an app I cannot delete won't function as promised. Otherwise, it's been a great phone.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat