cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jelly Bean 4.1 update

Journeyman

Jelly Bean 4.1 update

Come on, get this update out to us... Now LG is releasing the new Nexus with 4.2 and I'm still waiting for 4.1  ... This is stupid!!! How long after we finally get 4.1 will it take to get 4.2??? Doesn't feel like Sprint cares at all. I think I'll be switching carriers in the near future!!! Time to say goodbye to Sprint after all these years of service, sad but if you can't take care of your loyal customers, someone else will!!!

54 REPLIES 54
Wizard

Re: Jelly Bean 4.1 update

Hi tattoosbybud,

Thanks for your Community post regarding updating you device software. Generally, software updates become available based on pushes from the manufacture. I understand that you are anxious about having the latest software on your device, and as soon as information becomes available about the update you will be notified. Thanks for being patient during this time. We sincerely appreciate and value your patronage.

Thank You,

Yahkie W.

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Like the Sprint Rep said, this is an LG issue. LG is notoriously bad at releasing updates for their devices. I've heard this month sometime? It's painful, as i really like this phone.

Journeyman

Then both are liars, because according to LG Forum and an LG employee, 4.1 was released on January 7th is South Korea and released to the carriers in the US on January14th. They said it's up to Sprint to release it to it's customers... Don't know who to believe since I've been lied to by sprint since the day I got this phone... Started with no activation fee if I went with this phone over the Galaxy 3, but got billed for it anyways and I even had a witness to that statement. Told them I was a truck driver so nothing can be wrong with this phone... Was told I had 14 days to return for a new phone if anythng was wrong with it or I wanted to switch for a different phone and I could do this at ANY sprint location. Left on the road the next day, headed to Florida. Phone starts resetting/rebooting at random times through the day. Got to salt lake city and was told sorry, have to exchange it at the location I bought it at. I'm on a load to Florida, can't go back. Got to Louisiana, sprint store there told me same thing, gotta exchange at location in Boise. Got to Florida, delivered, went to sprint and told same thing. Contracted LG, could only get refurbished replacement, but they agreed sprint should replace a lemon with a new phone. When I finally got home to Boise Idaho, it was over the 14 days obviously... Confronted salesman and manager, was told they never told me any location but specifically said their location. So yes, I still got this random rebooting lemon, and I was charged the activation fee... How awesome is that!!! So I don't believe crap that comes out of Sprints mouth!!!

Wizard

tattoosbybud,

Thanks for your reply. I sincerely apologize that you had these issues when you purchased your device. Whenever you return/exchange a device you are able to exchange it at any corporate store only if it was originally purchased from a corporate store. If you purchased the device from an authorized dealer you would need to return/exchange the device there as its not sold from Sprint’s corporate inventory. As far the update for your software, you are generally notified directly on the device. If you don't receive an automatic notification you may check on your device to confirm if you have the latest software available. As for the activation fee, we run varies promotions throughout the year that may allow the activation fee to be waived. Each time a promotion is offered there are specific terms in which one would need to meet eligibility requirements to take advantage of said promotion.

Thank You,

Yahkie W.

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Once again your response, just like every response I've gotten from Sprint, lacks any care for it's customer... It's no wonder Sprint fails to grow... As I too will be leaving Sprint soon because of your inability to take care of your customers... Btw, I've been a customer of almost 10 years slowly watching your customer service go from excellent to uncaringly poor!!!

Journeyman

Tattoosbybud-- Thank  you so much for standing your ground.  I too am a SPRINT customer for over 10 years.   I purchased the LG OPTIMUS G - not knowing it has the OLDEST android system and that the battery really gets hot and can't be removed when it DIES.    I have had my phone for less than 8 weeks and I'm   " screwed" with my SPRINT contract.  

Journeyman

You know what is sad? I shouldn't have to stand up for what is only right in my situation. Sprint use to take care of issues like in my case. But now they really don't care, which is why they continue to shrink in customer base and stock prices. In my situation I was TOLD by the employee of the Corporate Store that :

1) There would be NO activation fee

2) I can exchange the phone at ANY sprint location nationwide because I explained that I was an OTR truck driver

However, both have proven untrue. It's just extremely sad that I gotta switch carriers to get better customer service... Plus, as an OTR truck driver for the lower 48 states, SPRINT SUCKS in service nationwide. Only found 4gLTE in 3 major cities and through Wyoming and Nebraska there is almost ZERO Sprint service through those states. DO NOT GET SPRINT!!! Customer service sucks balls now, corporate stores LIE to get you to buy a product THEN Corporate Customer Service refuses to honor the lies OR EVEN PUNISH THE CORPORATE EMPLOYEES FOR LYING!!! Not to mention also that their nationwide service sucks ass and you are 99% of the time bouncing off Verizon towers or have no service at all!!! So in that case, I willbe switching to Verizon if they will not fix this issue... good luck collecting the cancellation fees, Sprint gets what they deserve based off how they treated me!!!

Very Sad!!!

Highlighted
Wizard

Tattoosbybud,

Thanks for your reply. I apologize if you feel that way. I simply wanted to provide answers to the questions that were asked and leave only factual details. There are circumstances where we may consider out of the box options however, we use our forums to post the rule and not the exception. Rest assured I do very much care about your concerns.  We appreciate your loyalty and we would love to retain your business. You mentioned your concerns regarding the software updates and at this time, I'd suggest frequenting http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/phones-and-devices/lg/lg_optimus_g for updates.

Thank You,

Yahkie W.

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Is this phone ever going to get the update to 4.1? LG has just annouced the Optimus G for a ton of new countrys and its comes out of the BOX with 4.1.2.

Since there are Optimus G with android 4.1 jelly bean all over the rest of the workd I know SPRNT IS THE REASON that we dont have it, NOT LG!

I SPENT $200 AND AM STUCK WITH THIS OUTDATED PHONE FOR 2 YEARS BECUASE SPRINT SUCKS AT UPGRADES. I am unhaapy and dissapointed. I will be cancelling my contract with sprint as soon as I can so that i can get the nexus 4, it may not be as good as a phone but at least i will have upgrades in a timly maner, and i wont be on sprint!.

Journeyman

Through the rumor-mill official Sprint rollout sometime mid-late March.  Note that Optimus G's available in other countries are NOT CDMA radios, and in this case, Sprint is the exception in that it's the only CDMA carrier offering this phone, so drivers and testing are one-offs for Sprint.  Apparently LG dragged their feet on implementing/testing CDMA drivers and thus was late getting to Sprint.  Sprint is allegedly now in testing with this before roll-out. 

On another note, there is a community driven version of AOSP Jelly Bean 4.1 being worked on for the phone that is close to release (the only hang-up being said CDMA drivers).  Of course its base Android, and requires rooting your phone.

Journeyman

Kevin T: what is the hold up on the Jellybean upgrade on the Sprint Optimus G? everyone around the world has it but US customers Chuck: Phone Operating System updates are developed by both manufacturer (LG) and the carrier. As this is handled in a company-level, we do not have access to detailed information such as the estimated date of release of the update. We receive notification of the updates once they have been already tested and are available to download from end users.As the software that runs on the phone actually belongs to the carrier due to agreements between carrier and LG, there is no way we can develop the software if the carrier has not requested it to be developed. As well there is no way to guarantee that once started, the software update will be released to end users, as it is possible that due from many factors they decide not to release the end product (software)  I love how these companies pass the buck back to each other.  Carrier:its LG LG: no it's Sprint Carrier:its LG LG: no it's Sprint Carrier:its LG LG: no it's Sprint  like a bad Abbott and Costello routine

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat