cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jelly Bean 4.1 update

Wizard

Re: Jelly Bean 4.1 update

MendoJester,

Thanks for your interest in a Software update for the LG Optimus G. I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences this issues is causing you, and we do not want to lose your business. I understand your frustrations with current software and I assure you that you will be notified when the updates are available to be downloaded. In the meantime, feel free to visit  http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/phones-and-devices/lg/lg_optimus_g for the latest information regarding updates.

Thanks You,

Yahkie.

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Yahkie_DePaul,

Thanks for the non-answer.  Just curious if these concerns are actually passed along to somebody useful, maybe the development team(?!) not just some customer service rep manager.  Is Sprint actually listening?

Mike,

Another frustrated Sprint User

Journeyman

yep thanks for the link that sends us right back to the optimus G forums

Journeyman

when you see it say LS970(Optimus G)_Android_JB_LS970ZVA we can celebrate as that means rollouts have started

https://wws.lg.com/global/support/opensource/opensourceList?types=ALL&search=ls970

Wizard

natator81 and kevdt67,

Thanks for your comments. I posted the link because that is where the most up to date information will be provided about this device. The feedback is greatly appreciated and I totally understand wanting the newest software available. Please keep in mind software updates are provided from the manufacture and Sprint is your service provider. As soon as more information is available, the aforementioned link will be an awesome source for the latest news.

Thank You,

Yahkie W.

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

like i said in my reply its a vicious circle between carriers and manufacturers you both blame each other on hold ups. i wish someone would try to find out an answer instead of saying oh we dont know or check this link.

Journeyman

Thanks for confusing verbiage Yahkie. 

The update process goes like this:

1- LG (manufacturer) provides stock system to Sprint

2- Sprint (service provider) adds it's Bloat-ware

3- Sprint tests

4- Sprint tests

5- Sprint tests

6- Sprint tests

7- Sprint tests

8- Sprint tests

9- Sprint sends request back to LG to send out updates

10- LG provides everything to Google

11- Google actually takes care of physically sending out the OTA to the phones.

Journeyman

natator81. wrote:

11- Google actually takes care of physically sending out the OTA to the phones.

Then while they roll it out in waves, some of us will have to wait 4 or 5 days to get while others are bragging that they got it on day one.  Lame.

Journeyman

First off....most people won't even notice the difference between ICS and JB. As for your problems on returning the phone: you seem to be dodging the question of whether or not you purchased the phone at a corporate store. If so, you would have been able to exchange it anywhere at a corporate store. If not, my guess is you went to a third party store that looked very similar to a Sprint store, such as a Wireless Lifestyles. I bought my phone at Best Buy. Any Best Buy will honor an exchange. Sprint will not. That is fine with me because the Best Buy guys in my town don't act like they're the most sought after phones sales people with the "too good for you/know more than you" attitude as do the Sprint store people in my area.

As for updates, to add on to what natator and larryt said, CDMA and Sprint are the main issues. Sprint tests it, and if it's not nearly perfect, it needs to be rejected, otherwise it will cost Sprint and LG lots of time and money. The update will be out soon enough. This phone has barely been out 4 months and people are already rejecting it because it doesn't have the same OS as a Google sponsered device. I can tell you that from personal experience, I put out better benchmarks on my Optimus G then most Nexus 4 users I know.

LTE is still in release stage, so everywhere isn't going to have it, especially in the Montana, Wyoming, Idaho area. There isn't a large population base up there, so any business-minded company isn't going to send a bunch of resources that direction when most of the business areas still are needing it. When it does come, you will appreciate it much more with an LG device, as LTE is native to them. My Comcast home internet puts out between 15 to 20 MBPS download speed on a good day. My LTE has seen 27 MBPS download speeds, with an average around 24 MBPS.

If you go through the Optimus G development forums, you'll also see that LG has crowded so much bloat into these phones that it's no wonder Sprint hasn't released an OTA yet. I'd rather wait a couple extra weeks then get an OS that is premature. Take a chill for a while, be patient, and it'll be out soon enough.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You must not of read my posts because I've stated I purchased the phone at a corporate store... Stated also that is why I couldn't get it replaced because I couldn't find any corporate stores in the cities I was stopping in. I suggest next time you actual read the posts!!!

Journeyman

@Denisee:

Your claim that Android 4.0.X (ICS) is the "oldest" version is ludicrous.  Jelly Bean (4.1.X) is less than a year old.  Far more people are using GINGERBREAD (2.3) in the smartphone world than have even gotten to ICS yet...lol.

People need to calm down.  Most people are stuck on Gingerbread or Honeycomb in the Android world....the LG Optimus seems to work great.  And the updates that are coming to it with 4.1 are cool, but relatively modest.

Here's a video highlighting the differences coming with JB to the Optimus G:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zowd_VhpU_A&list=PL2989CE702F5EC6D3&index=36

R,

Bill

Journeyman

Everybody seriously needs to calm down.

First of all, the claim that Android 4.0.X (ICS) is outdated is ludicrous.  Jelly Bean (4.1.X) is less than a year old.  Far more people are using GINGERBREAD than have even gotten to ICS yet...lol.

The LG Optimus with Android 4.0 seems to work great as far as I'm concerned...

And the updates that are coming to the Optimus G with 4.1 are cool, but relatively modest.

Here's a video highlighting the differences coming with JB to the Optimus G:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zowd_VhpU_A&list=PL2989CE702F5EC6D3&index=36

In truth, the only two things that 4.1 adds that are significant are a) Google's "butter" project that makes the OS interface smoother overall and b) the Google Now add-in that's makes your phone spookily aware of what you're up to. lol

This isn't Sprint's fault...it's LG.  Relax...it's coming.

R,

Billish

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat