cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jelly Bean 4.1 update

Journeyman

Re: Jelly Bean 4.1 update

Thank you very much--- My less than 8 Week old LG OPTIMUS G had snapdragon OS and died- Didn't drop, get wet, didn't overcharge, or under charge or do anything to make this device dompletely stop working-It just did after 7 1/2 weeks.  The battery got  a little warm-and It shut down--   I don't want this phone-if this is going to be a problem- but I am locked in to a 2 year contract-- Been with Sprint for over 10 year-  Next time I am going Apple Iphone

Journeyman

What all of you fail to realize is that sprint is a cdma carrier. All the other Optimus g phones that have jellybean are gsm. In order for it to be released on sprint LG would have to rewrite the whole baseband and kernel. That is their job and the hold up for us getting JB. Maybe you should go read up on how these things work over at xda.

Posted from my LG Optimus G.

Wizard

Denisee1953,

Thanks for your post. I am sorry to hear that you are having this issues with your device. Have you taken your device into a Sprint S&R center to have it repaired or replaced? Do you currently carry TEP (Total Equipment Protection)? Mobile devices are extremely important and I want to make sure that you are able to get your device serviced. Please let me know where you stand. If you need to locate a S&R center, please visit www.sprint.com/storelocator. Please Keep me posted on the outcome.

Thank You,

Yahkie W.

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Hey pal.   Don't rip people if you don't know what your talking about.

The first three versions of the optimus g they updated were CDMA.  What do you think they use in Korea?  Plus,  they don't have to rewrite anything.  They already have the source and specs for the mdm9615 chip we use for our baseband.  The problem is LG doesn't care about its American customers.  They didn't even start on our update until last month.  If you want to flame someone go flame LG.  In the mean time you could go over to xda and you might learn something.  You were right that lg ifs the hold up.  But, it is because they have horrible customer support and bad business practice.  Not because the cdma is slowing then down. 

Journeyman

@Kantide:

Due respect, but "nkc_sprint" is mostly correct...

There's VERY LITTLE code that has to be rewritten to account for the differences in the chips among a CDMA, GSM, or any other kind of phone these days.  The elements of the Android OS that interteract with the chip are nearly  unchanged from Android 4.0 to 4.1....there's very little there that had to be rewritten that LG didn't already tackle with 4.0.  A few function calls from the stock Android 4.1 package from Google probably had to be made chip-specific, but nearly ALL the ones that need changing were already identified by LG when they ported 4.0 to the Optimus G.

((Aside:  Just because you surf the XDA forums doesn't make you an expert in spread-spectrum communications.  Besides which, 99% of the people at that site are garage hobbyists and "script kiddies" who happened to download some flash tools and just like messing around with phones.  There are maybe ten guys on there who actually know what they're doing.  I suspect most people on that site end up "bricking" their phones and just don't want to admit it.))

Now, perhaps you MEANT to claim that LG has/had to rewrite the code that mixes all the digital data along with the user's voice, modulates it onto the signal, and then prepares it for conversion to the transmission frequency and sends it to the phone's antenna (aka the "baseband" portion of the radio).  I doubt that, however.  The differences between what they had to do for the Korean model and any other rmodel amount to rewriting a few lines of code that call the APIs/functions in a chip-specific way.

Having said that, you BOTH need to chill out.  You're BOTH flaming, and I'm almost certain neither one of you is an electrical engineer or an RF engineer.

R,

Bill

Journeyman

If that were the case then we would have all flashed korean ROMs and been happy by now, however this is not the case. In Korea 2 of the carriers are GSM and one is CDMA that have the Optimus G AFAIK.  The Korean Roms mostly function on our phones as is anyway, which is fine, but issues preventing CALLS and other very minor differences make them unusable at this time. This is an issue in the kernel. Regardless of whether you believe it to be a few lines of code or a whole new OS, the POINT is LG is the issue here, not sprint. Next time you want to get condescending, you may want to "chill out" and stop flaming as well.

Journeyman

Is Sprint intentionally delaying the release of Jelly Bean to the Optimus G to promote sales of new devices (e.g. the Optimus G Pro)?  If not, why is it taking so long? It's been MONTHS so I'm not exactly sure if there's any other explanation as to why you're waiting so long.

I'd be happy with 4.1.2, let alone 4.2...

As a side-note, this is the Nexus 4 with the exception of CDMA vs GSM so please don't act like there's some mythical delay in software releases, be it by you or LG.

Journeyman

Jelly Bean has been released for the Optimus G

Journeyman

Actually Sprint has been rolling out update ZVB, aka Jelly Bean 4.1.2.

2013-03-07-14-58-43.jpg

Journeyman

There was a leak from LG where a few people got the update but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Sprint approved leak.  So therefore no official update has been released unless something happened today that I haven't heard about.  My phone certainly can't find this update.

Journeyman

Shrug.. my update was an OTA this past Monday, days after first reports of it.

Journeyman

Sprint nor any carrier or manufacturer is going to release an update to every single device at once. That would crash servers and cause general mayhem. Updates are rolled out in phases. You can either wait for your phase, or flash the update through rooting/recovery.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat