cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG Optimus G review and question about Android ICS battery hog and laggy performance with LG's UI

Go to solution
Journeyman

LG Optimus G review and question about Android ICS battery hog and laggy performance with LG's UI

I have had my Optimus G now for about three days and at first glance I thought I finally had a phone with everything I needed and wanted, Quad core processor, 2gb of ram, 32gb of storage (25 actual), IPS display, 2100 mAh battery, 4G LTE, NFC, etc. Android OS.  First, I had the HTC EVO 4G, then I got the iphone 5 returned it because even though the phone itself was fast it felt like a down grade because of the small screen, horrible battery life, iOS 6, itunes, and the lack of 4G LTE coverage in my area where as my evo had at least full coverage of wimax (4G).  But back to the LG.  This phone is fast in every term of the word except when being used heavily. My phone seems to lag and I had a problem where the phone would get extremely hot and then it would do one of three things freeze while in messenger, lag to the point where touch sensitivity would be almost non existant or would do a quick restart and even at one point reboot. I installed the new software update LS970VZ8 and it would not fix a thing.  I finally figured it out that my ATK was causing the malfunction and once that was taken off the phone seem to do back to normal but the laggy LG UI would and is still present.  I have reset the phone back to factory specs and it still lags when being used for more than 10mins at a time.  Installations of apps take less than a few seconds as well as uninstalling apps.  Bluetooth, wifi, and nfc work well.  Screen is very nice.  Clean and clear but apparently there is an issue with full screen brightness.  If the phone has been used a bit and gets hot there will be a message that lets me know that maximum brightness cannot be done due to over heating or something like those words.  Also, if viewing the screen in a well litted area you can actually see the digitizer beneath the screen.  No biggy but a bit annoying.  Quick memo is great and can be used as a screen shot as well. Tried using the Q slide function but it can be a headache for those not use to looking a busy screen.  I personally do not care for it. 

Camera is somewhat lacking.  Even for a 13mp camera the ISO is can be choppy and grainy with indoor shots and with low light areas.  Shutter speed is slow as well as recover time.  My wifes HTC EVO 4G lte and iphone 5's camera is much quicker and better in terms quality and shutter speed.  I also do not care about the camera sticking out of the back and for a "flagship" this could have been avoided as the AT&T version does not.  Cool feature is the video recording and playback.  You can actually zoom in while recording and in viewing.  I found this to be a very useful feature. 

Voice input is mediocore at best with medium acuracy.  There is no accessable port for the SD slot but 32gb (25gb actual) is enough for me and I believe you get 50gb of clould storage from LG.  Stock UI keyboard is very user friendly but can be improved by better feedback and slight rearranging of keys.  Sound notification settings is very basic with Calls, notifications, and alarm.  You can set different sounds for different callers but you cannot set a specific sound for email, text message, calender reminder with ICS but I could with Gingerbread OS.  Speaking of OS ICS would have been a huge step up from GB but the battery consumption is down right ridiculous.  On my old phone the screen time is what took up most of my  battery useage but now it is the actual Android OS that eats up most of my battery life with the screen time coming is a distant second.  My question is why? 

There photos are of my actual phone. I turned the battery percentage off because I was sick of watching he battery drain before my eyes.   I had to recharge my phone twice and it is at 63%.  I find this to be unacceptable from a newer technology battery and phone.  Why did they not install a bigger capacity battery? Why did they not ship out with JellyBean 4.1?  I am very disappointed with this phone because a phone that needs to be constantly charged and is lacking in software is nothing more than a paper weight.  Hopefully my phone is a dud but if you have the same problems as me please post them so others can see.  BTW my settings are screen brightness 59%, push off, sync off, 15sec time out,  data on, wifi on and off depending if home or not Eco mode on, with everything else off (NFC, bluetooth, rotation, gps).  I also use the factory task manager constantly to turn off apps that I am not using.

I would love to hear from either Sprint, LG USA, and from other community members about this phone and these issues I am having.  I am seriously thinking about buying a HTC EVO 4G LTE as my wife is not having any problems with her phone.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

21 REPLIES 21
Journeyman

Re: LG Optimus G review and question about Android ICS battery hog and laggy performance with LG's UI

See earlier reviews, including mine, here:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/102885?tstart=0

I hate to see a great phone's reputation tarnished by complaints not shared by the majority of buyers.

I haven't experienced any of the problems you described, and my software info screen shows the same as yours.  My battery life currently shows 37% from the OS, not 71%, but it also shows a large percent of use from the phone app, because I talked on the phone for over an hour.  Remember, the % of battery life attributed to the OS is meaningless:  it's also counting idle time there, just like Windows or Linux Task Managers will show a huge % of time used by the system, which is mainly idling.  Click on "Use details" for Andoid OS.  For example, mine says 16m 18s CPU Total, but 7h 1m 52s for Keep awake (just doing nothing).

Perhaps you've added some mis-behaving app or tweak that is draining the battery.  Mine lasts and lasts for hours and never gets hot. If yours doesn't, perhaps it's defective, but I doubt it.  I am not playing any games, though, which I assume would drain the battery faster.  Verizon went through this with the Droid Razor vs. the Droid Razr Max...bigger battery means bulkier phone.

The camera sticks out the back because it's better (13mp vs. 8mp on the AT&T version).  That's a feature, not a shortcoming.  Come on, the phone is already impossibly thin for what's inside, don't complain about the camera bulge.  See the teardown of the similar Nexus 4 on ifixit.com

People who complain about as many details as you, on numerous phones, will never be completely satisfied; there IS no perfect phone made that has every single hardware and software feature, design apearance, with the battery life you crave.  It's physics -- there's only so much space to cram all that computational power and battery. 

People constantly whine about "why doesn't XYZ phone have the Android build of the month?"...Vendor XYZ sucks!"  The anwser is that in the USA, at least, it takes months and months from the time the source code is made available to the ODMs (Samsung, LG, HTC, etc), through them customizing it and doing integration testing, then turning it over to each carrier, who must test again, to confirm it works on their networks, and isn't going to cause millions of dollars worth of support calls and returned products if there's some glitch. Even Apple, who only has to support their own hardware with their own in-house iOS, occasionally releases duds, which then cause massive hand-wringing in the blogosphere, angry customers by the millions, and eventual patches.  Hundreds and hundreds of pages of ranting on the Apple forum over the WiFi problem in the iPhone 5, and no doubt thousands of phones returned, before Apple finally fixed it.  I assume LG will give a Jelly Bean update to Sprint soon, if they haven't already, then Sprint will test and release it.

Want the latest Android build? Get a Nexus phone. But, wait:  There are amazingly enough, thousands of comments over on the Android forums, ranting and whining about the Nexus 4, because it doesn't have LTE.  Google's and LG's actual reasons make sense to people who take time to think about it, but you can't please everyone.

The ideal smartphone would have the power of an IBM Blue Gene supercomputer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Gene), fit in a shirt pocket, and run 24 hours on a charge.  Meanwhile, I'll settle for the Optimus G.

Journeyman

Re: LG Optimus G review and question about Android ICS battery hog and laggy performance with LG's UI

Thank you for your reply but it seems you and I have different phones that are not equal in build quality.  I understand your idea that the OS showing a majority of the use of battery is meaningless but I find it strange that the phone being idle can discharge the battery so quickly.  I would not be bringing this issue up with the OS using 71% if the battery lasted for a longer time.  I am not disputing your response and experience I am however concerned that for a new phone with no downloaded apps and not being used heavily that it cannot hold a charge.  And no, I have not installed any misbehaving apps these settings were all run with no apps installed.  I do not play games on my phone.  All of my experiences were from factory settings with the only modifications were updating my contacts, e-mail accounts, and my Wi-fi settings. My results were with the updated Firmware and without the updated firmware straight from the box.

I am really happy that you have a phone that works great for your needs but I need it to be able to last for more than half a day and I am not always able to run to a charger to charge my phone.  Go ahead and look at the specs from Sprints on website about the battery life. It states that it is able to handle 13hours of talk time.  I find this strange because I can't even get 6 hours on a single charge without talking on it and yet you can? I can see your view on why you think your LG LS970 is great but my experiences and others on this forum support that the phone does over heat and it does have issues with the UI and people have had issues with phone restarting or rebooting by itself.  There will always be phones that are defective and there is no such thing as a 100% quality issue with a new phone launch.  This is a link for another Sprint forum the same issue I have http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/102967?tstart=0

Don't get me wrong about this phone.  I love the aesthetics about this phone.  I have gotten comments that it resembles a bigger faster iphone with better build quality and I completely agree.  I love the size of the phone, the design on the back and how sleek it looks.  I also love the weight of the phone as it is lighter than my old EVO but a little more substantial than the iphone (felt like a feather and I have med-lge hands). 

I love a lot of aspects of this phone. S4 quad-core processor, 2GB of RAM, beautiful display but what is the point of having an awesome phone if it won't last for more than a day? It's like having a Ferrari or Lamborghini.  Great fast cars but they can't go for more than 200 miles on a tank of gas.  I am pretty sure the phone I have is a dud.  Does your phone randomly reboot or hang on a certain screen with an error message popping up stating that the messaging app is not responding?  I have already sent it back for a replacement and hopefully I get the same results as you have.

Journeyman

You are not the only one..check out my thread:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/501511#501511

Highlighted
Journeyman

Based on the evidence that you and some other members discussed, there may be some defective units, -- just guessing here, but given that this is a brand new production run, with a lot of brand new components, it's entirely possible that there are some construction/assembly defects, and/or some damaged battery packs.  The new LiPo battery technology LG is using could be the culprit, too.  Perhaps the battery pack has an internal short, causing the reduced runtime and/or overheating.  Or, the power management chip(s) could be defective.  I firmly believe there is no fundamental design defect, which would impact all units equally, causing the reduced runtime or overheating.  ColoDave and I have both reported that our phones last all day on a charge and don't overheat.  We've also both reported that we have ENabled both the power saver and quad-core power control, which, if you haven't enabled them, would make a difference.  Note that the phone comes with the quad-core power control DISabled.  You and another user also reported using a third-party ATK, which are unnecessary at this point in Android's history (Android 4.0.x+), and caused problems for both of you.

Hopefully, if you've received a replacement, things will be different; please report back.

Journeyman

Hello,

I have had my Optimus G for several days now and loving it. Battery life is so much better than my old SGSII. I unplugged my phone around 4:30am (at 100%) this morning and right now @ 9:53pm, I still have 45% battery left. This includes phone calls, checking FB several times throughout the day, using 4G LTE (I live in Houston), text messaging, checking emails throughout the day, checking on Google Play and Amazon App store and other little things. I do have the Power Save and Quad Core saver on all the time and turn it off when I need to use all four cores. If this were my old SGSII, I would of had to put it on the charger hours ago. This phone is totally awesome! Unfortunately, we live in world where there is no perfection (at least in my eyes) and you are going to encounter defects or bugs, especially in new models. I experienced it with my former SGSII that had to be traded a couple of times for defects. I was just wondering: do you live in an LTE area? I noticed that if you go into your system settings, you can disable 4G LTE/CDMA and just set it to plain-old 3G/CDMA. I do not know if this has any effect on battery drain if you do not live in an area with LTE but just taking a shot at it. I have my settings for 4G/LTE and even so, I still have not had poor battery drain at all. If I were you and under the 14 day window, take it back and get another one from the Sprint store (or where you bought it) and get a new replacement. It is possible there are a few out there that might be defective and have a few bugs. Good luck and don't give up because this is seriously one awesome phone and I am glad I didn't get the SGS III or SGN II instead. I've gotten so many compliments on this phone and even people who have never seen or heard of it. I guess I like all the attention..lol! Anyways, good luck with your issues and hope they get resolved.

Journeyman

THANK YOU...THANK YOU Steve_in_WA

I too change devices fequently ...

Recently Evo 4g lte..SGS3

and now Note2 & LGOG!!

I like my LG (first lg ever)

its a great phone!!

**NEWS FLASH**

Battery-life on MOST smartphones are

not the BEST!!

**Tip**...carry a "spare battery"  or "portable quick charger"....

Whats the big deal??

Thanks again for your positive response!

Journeyman

I do expect that the Optimus G's battery will live up to Sprint and LG's advertised capacity in normal use on phone that has no mis-behaving apps, and which has not had apps nor tasks forcibly "killed", which can actually do more harm than good. 

That said, I own a small (smaller than the phone), 3600 mAH external battery pack which could easily power this phone for another day or two on the rare occasion that I might be away from AC wall power or some other source of 5VDC USB power (automotive, airline, etc.)

The product I have is the HyperJuice Micro, which is the smallest in a wide range of battery packs sold by this manufacturer:  www.hypershop.com

They make batteries large enough to run a large laptop (or a toaster, from what I can see!), so you can go as wild as your budget allows.  This product line is marketed at Apple customers, but the battery packs work with any device that runs on 5VDC USB-jacked power.  They are extremely well made and attractive too, in my opinion.

Sprint Employee

Hello YCHO1979, I’m sorry that you’ve had trouble with the phone. However I feel you may notice a big difference in this phone’s battery life if you complete a factory restore, and use it for a while without signing in to any sync accounts(or email) and leave most of the phone at out of box settings. Your screen shot above shows Lookout installed, and running, since that’s running there’s really no way to say what’s causing such a significant power drain, email settings, and application, built in features, Etc., Etc.. I am very surprised that you were trying to use ATK with this phone, ATK was for the most part rendered obsolete when Google enhanced task management of android in Froyo, there’s a good article on the subject here. There are many system utility type applications out there that many people label as indispensable, but few live up to the hype that they've been given.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

Okay let me make this clear. I really really like the phone in general. I do not however think that it is normal for the phone to reboot randomly or have lagging performance on the home screen with no apps running or have the battery run down so quickly within 6 hours of being on from the moment it leaves the charger.  I have also noticed that the battery does not charge correctly.  I am certain of this because I will charge the phone at 11pm and not touch it until I wake up at 8am and it is still glowing red on the notification LED.  I have noticed that this is an error because there were a few occasions when the LED would flash Green when charge was complete.  These are reasons why I sent my phone back for a replacement.  I am not disputing that this is the most advance and powerful phone on the market today.  I am disputing that I have a phone that is defective.   

For "RC1024" Lookout and all other apps installed were before I did the reset and it has no bearing on the phone because it was erased after the reset.  As for the ATK it is the Task Manager that is built into the UI from Sprint/LG and cannot be uninstalled.   

For "Steve_In_WA" How is it that the LG Optimus G is slimmer and lighter yet has a 2100mAh battery while my old EVO or  Froyo/Gingerbread phone has a 1500mAh or smaller capacity battery but is larger and thicker so your theory of a larger capacity battery making the phone bigger is dismissed.  And I would not want to carry around a spare booster for my phone or a device that would make my phone bigger(defeats the purpose of getting a simmer/lighter phone.) 

For"sprntgek" I am not going to get an extra battery for my phone because you have no access to the main battery unless you want to damage and void your warranty by taking the phone apart.  "(**NEWS FLASH**Battery-life on MOST smartphones are not the BEST!! **Tip**...carry a "spare battery"  or "portable quick charger"....What's the big deal??Thanks again for your positive response!)"  I am not asking for a battery that last forever I am just asking for my battery to hold a charge for more than 6 hours without dying on me with minimal use. 

You all have valid points up to an extent but I believe that I have a defective phone.  This is no reason for a brand new phone to not hold a charge or reboot itself or lag when there are no apps running.  I will update my review once I get my replacement and if the phone holds a charge and does not reset.

I would love to hear from people who have similar issues with the phone.  I know that a majority of people will not have these issues but I am concerned about the ones who do have problems and to what level and how prevalent they are.

Sprint Employee

Hello again YCHO1979, ATK was not preinstalled by LG, did you try using the phone for a reasonable amount of time before reading sync/email accounts to see if the phone performed differently?

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

Phone was returned to wirefly.com on Monday.  Before that was done this was my phone status.  I only updated my phone numbers and added my email addresses but the push/update feature was disabled.  I I turned off auto sync and left it to manual and no it is not an ATK but an actual app called "Task Manager" and it is a pre-installed application you should get your hands on a actual Optimus G and look for yourself.  I loved the phone but I do believe I had a dud because the phone would overheat and reboot by itself.  This happened at least on three occasions.  This is more than a battery issue and I believe the phone had software/hardware issues. I will be getting another one in a couple of weeks. Hope it works out.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat