cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG Optimus G won't connect to PC

Journeyman

LG Optimus G won't connect to PC

I have an LG Optimus G. When the phone was new I was able to upload and download from the phone without any problem. About a month after owning the phone it stopped working. I am unable to connect the phone as a mass storage (or MTP). When I connect the phone to a PC it only states that the phone is Slow Charging. I never get a prompt to select anything else.
I have taken the phone to the Sprint Tech Bench and had them look at it. The tech there said that they aren't able to fix the issue , and I should look into getting another phone. I'm sorry I don't buy that answer.

I have tried connecting my phone several other PC's and they all do the same thing.  I have tried several different USB cables, USB 2.0 USB 3.0..... I have downloaded the LG USB driver from LG's website, and installed that. I have also ensured that debugging is turned off as well... I don't understand what could be causing this. I really like the phone, and it would be a shame to  have to dump this phone just because I can't connect to a PC. Everything else works perfect. Any Ideas???

10 REPLIES 10
Journeyman

Re: LG Optimus G won't connect to PC

Hi MARNAKEUS, sorry to hear you are having difficulties with your device.  We have a couple things we would like you to check for us to see if we can get your device to connect.  Let us know if this works.  ^SM

There are three basic ways to select your connection method for the LG Optimus G:

1. When the device is connected.  From the Home screen, tap Settings > PC connection > USB connection type > Media sync (MTP). This should begin connection via MTP.
  2. To show the prompt to select the connection when device is connected to PC:  From the PC connection screen, check Ask on connection.  If you have this option enabled, the phone should display the USB connection type screen when connected with PC via USB cable. In this scenario you would select Media sync (MTP) and device should begin connection via MTP.
  3. After connecting with USB cable, pull down the notification bar and tap USB connected. The USB connect type screen will display.  Select Media sync (MTP) and device should begin connection via MTP.
Journeyman

I have done all of the above but it still will not connect. When I pull down the notification bar and tap the USB connection ("Slow charging") it doesn't do anything. I never get a screen asking how to connect. It used to when I first got the phone... So I'm familiar with what it should look like.

Journeyman

I also have a pc connection issue, but mine's says that the device is malfunctioning. I went to sprint for my third replacement of this phone (fourth phone). I was told that problems with pc connections is an issue with this phone.

Journeyman

So frustrated with this. This is the fourth phone that I have had as well... I liked my first phone, and had no problems at all with it. Then I dropped it and smashed the screen. Its been a nightmare ever since. The current phone works fine, except for this PC CONNECTIONs issue. If I could fix this,  I would keep the phone. I just got a nice $130 set of head phones,. but I only have three albums loaded on the phone.... So frustrated.... At least I have Pandora I guess.

Journeyman

I wonder if rooting the phone and loading a third party custom ROM could fix this issue. Has anyone tried this? Wait.... that wouldn't work either.... I would have to upload the new ROM and root kit to the phone.... can't do that.... Gahhh.....

Master

Thank you for your post MARNAKEUS

I apologize about the wait time in response. This does sound very frustrating, do you know when you're eligible to upgrade?

If you have everything saved to a SD card in your phone go ahead and remove the card and make sure your contacts are backed up to your google account then to reset the device entirely to see if this fixes anything. Let me know your thoughts!

Krishel

Social Care

Journeyman

I would like to try that option, but there is no removable SD card. Everything would be wiped. I do have my pictures backed up to Google. Those are the only things I would cry over loosing... I may try doing that. Its really a last resort for me though.

I would get another phone, but I really don't want to spend another $200 on a new phone... I've only had this model (fifth one I've had....) for a little over a year.

Master

MARNAKEUS,

I am not sure why this stopped working for you, but I can let you know w work around for this issue. Firs from the home screen touch the Menu Button > Connectivity > USB Connection type. This will give you your connection options. Let me know if this helps.

Sean L

Social Care

Master

MARNAKEUS,

Thank you for the post.  I've seen this issue before (but never with an LG device).  I would try Sean L's advice first; if that doesn't work then we'll try it from the other end.

What model computers have you plugged the device in to?  What operating system is that computer(s) running?

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care Team

Michael C.

Journeyman

Good Evening,

I also have had this problem. It was solved by replacing an internal component of the device.

You need a new mic flex ribbon component.

LG Optimus G E973 | LS970 Micro USB Charging Charger Port Dock Mic Flex Ribbon

They cost around 8 bucks. The ribbon and the board connected to it are responsible for recognizing the connectiion type when plugged into a device. This often gets burned out when plugged into incompatible devices. (In my case it burned out when plugged into the usb port inside of a newer model Chevy Cruze) When plugged into incompatible devices (devices designed for media use with apple products) the recieving device will continuously try to connect to the device, this causes stress on the circutry of the switch thus burning out the component.

I wish I had realised this before I decided to reformat my phone. (which obviously didnt fix my issue.)

This is a break down video showin how to replace the components of the phone. The last one he removes is the mic flex ribbon. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLPoUOtq0Kg)

Good Luck,

EpikBlackGuy

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat