cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No More Optimus G Updates

Journeyman

No More Optimus G Updates

So with Sprint's corporate decision to EOL the LG Optimus G on April 2nd, we're almost assured to only receive bug fixes from here on out. No significant new features and no Android 4.2.2 or 5.0 (Key Lime Pie).

It would be nice to know ahead of time which Android handsets Sprint intends to support for more than 6 months, so I can lock myself into a 2-year agreement with one of those phones instead.

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: No More Optimus G Updates

That really just ruined my day.. I bought a new case and everything...   Guess I should have waited for the HTC One...  Way to go Sprint.

Journeyman

If this is true, which I'm sure it is, I will be leaving Sprint ASAP. I've been a loyal customer for years, I bought this phone in December and now it's EOL. Time to cut my losses. 

Journeyman

The great thing is I just got stuck in this contract 4 days ago.  I'm glad I bought my phone through Best Buy so that I can still return it!

Journeyman

I wonder if this is because of Sprint or LG making the decision?

Either way, it stinks.  A great phone that will apparently never get its due respect...

Of course, I think it is hard for anyone to make headway in today's market.  I saw a story on the news this morning about the battle between Samsung and Apple for dominance of the market... they didn't mention anything Android other than the Samsung Galaxy S4...  With the Android world not being specific to a phone vendor, Samsung has done a good job of obscuring the rest of the Androids through their good marketing, but the unfortunate side effect is that it seems most of the world sees only Apple and Samsung as reasonable smart phones.  My fear is that the carriers will do nothing except reinforce that limited view.

And talk about stupid stuff Samsung is using to differentiate itself.  The only thing I have heard is that the S4 will pause videos when you look away from the device... Really?  Have we become too lazy to even hit pause on the screen of the device we are holding in our hand?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Whoa....hold on.  does that screenshot of the BestBuy inventory system really mean that SPRINT has decided to end the Optimus G product cycle???  Perhaps it just means that Best Buy is not going to continue buying it and is instructing their sales staff to sell all remaining units.  After all, there are SO MANY new phones coming out, the retailers have to start clearing out devices much more quickly than before.

It doesn't necessarily mean that Sprint is ending the product cycle.

Anyone have anything more definitive on this?

R,

Bill

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat