Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Official announcement Optimus G

Journeyman

Official announcement Optimus G

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news/lg-optimus-g-fact-sheet.htm

http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2409

I can't believe this isn't getting the same attention as the Samsung Note 2. There is photo evidence on the web that a variation of this phone will be the next Google Nexus phone. http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/nexus-phone-will-be-lg-if-you-believe-leaked-pics-1C6364...

• 2 gigs of Ram
  • 13 MP camera
  • quad core snapdragon processor!

Since there will be limited developer support from Samsung on thier newest quad core devices I see this as a better choice if it is priced below the Note 2. I hope they annouce the release date soon!

7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Re: Official announcement Optimus G

I'm glad someone else is taking interest in this phone!  The Galaxy Note II looks cool, but when I picked up the original Note this week, it was way too big for my hands.  And the Note II is even larger!  I'm sure they fixed the diagonal so that it won't be as wide as the original Note, but it's still too big for my case.  If the Optimus G came with Jelly Bean, I'd be the first to pre-order the phone.  LG isn't known for releasing timely updates, so I don't know if I want to take a chance that the phone would be updated to 4.1 or even to 4.2 which is supposed to come out with the new Nexus.  That would be cool if the phone did make the jump to 4.2 later this year, but I doubt it.  I'm going to see what the LG Nexus G will look like.  Supposedly it has the same hardware specs as the Optimus G and since it's a Google phone, LG will have to put out timely updates.  The only issue I have with the Nexus is that it may only have a max of 16GB internal memory with no expansion and the battery may not be as good as the Optimus G.  So I have to weigh in my options - lower memory but timely updates or higher memory but not timely updates.

Journeyman

I was wondering the same thing myself "why not more 'buzz' about this !??

Also anxious to hear of launch date! Currently have an S3, however need a second device.

Never owned an LG before?

This one looks great!! Specs...features... Plus!

Whats the catch?

Any advice on LG "G" would be really appreciated!

Thanks All!

Journeyman

• The battery is not removable.
  • And there is no SDcard.

-The original battery on my 2.5 year old HTC EVO 4g is still fine for me. I think battery technology just keeps getting better and by the time you want a new device your the battery will still be going strong.

-With 16 gigs onboard I don't need an SDcard; I have all of my music in the Google Music cloud.

Journeyman

Riggzzz wrote:

• The battery is not removable.
  • And there is no SDcard.

-The original battery on my 2.5 year old HTC EVO 4g is still fine for me. I think battery technology just keeps getting better and by the time you want a new device your the battery will still be going strong.

-With 16 gigs onboard I don't need an SDcard; I have all of my music in the Google Music cloud.

For me, those 2 "issues" aren't issues.  The Sprint version comes with 32GB on board, so that's plenty for me and we get a 2100 mAh battery, so that's cool.  I think 32GB is enough storage for even the heavy user, but I think most people like the expandable memory just to say they have more memory and it may be more convenient for them to swap phone content from phone to phone or phone to computer by using a microSD card instead of having to sync the phone to the computer to do those things.  I need to see how the internal memory is partitioned however, on my current Nexus S 4G you only have just under 1GB of space alloted for apps which by no means is enough for even the moderate phone user.  You can move some apps to the "USB storage", however, I guess I'm lazy and don't want to have to go through my whole list of apps and transfer (the ones that can be transferred, not all can) each one to that storage space one by one. 

Can't wait to see how the LG Nexus 4 looks.  How the specs are looking though (only 8 or 16GB internal storage, 8MP camera opposed to 13MP) I may go with the Optimus G.  I like pure Android and all, but you can't beat those specs of the Optimus G!  I hope Sprint makes good on its word and puts out JB on the Optimus G before the year ends.  I'm a pretty tech savvy person, but I don't want to root my phone and install a custom mod, I'd rather use the OTAs and have the full warranty and tech support for my phone. 

Journeyman

AT&T announted it for sale for $199. This could be $100 cheaper than the Note II. Preorder starts tomorrow!?!

Journeyman

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=lg+optimus+g+sprint&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CE8QtwIwAg&u...

I just looked at that review the shows the ui. Ugly! Please tell me the boot loader is easy to unlock. I want a pure Google android experience. I love my nexus 7 tablet and I'm running Jellybean on my very old HTC evo. This would be a step back on UI. I hope that since this is rumored to be almost identical to the Nexus 5 that the kernels and Roms for the new nexus will work on this? If these phones (note 2 included) are hard for developers to support more tech savvy people will go shopping for unlocked prepaid.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If you don't like the LG UI just wait for the Nexus, It's only a month or so away, and will have nearly the same specs.

The LG Optimus G is clearly NOT the Nexus 4, even though they share the same base. It's Like the difference between a Toyota and a Lexus.

I'm willing to bet the Nexus 4 costs $50 to $100 more than the $199 Optimus G.

My only gripe with the G is the lack of a removable battery. I like to have a backup battery charged and ready to go.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat