cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received Unit With Bad Screen (UPDATE: Replacement works great, though...)

Journeyman

Received Unit With Bad Screen (UPDATE: Replacement works great, though...)

All:

I cannot select menu items or boxes or anything else when it's near the center of the screen on my BRAND-NEW, JUST OUT OF THE BOX LG Optimus G....

I suspected the screen wasn't responding, so I did an experiment with the note feature (photos attached).  Sure enough, there's a well-defined band across the middle of the screen that does not detect my touch most of the time.  In the photos, you can see where the screen isn't working properly.  Obviously a bad unit.

Scrolling in any application, including the internet browser, even stops halfway if I try scrolling up and down through web pages when my finger gets to the "Dead Band"...

WTH? Anyone else having this problem?

Needless to say, this is going back to Sprint immediately. 

UPDATE:  The second Optimus G Sprint sent me appears to work fine and does not suffer from the dead band across the middle of the screen.  No issues so far.    Phone works well.  The second Optimus G Sprint sent me appears to work fine and does not suffer from the dead band across the middle of the screen.  No issues so far.    Phone works well....

...except, of course, for the stunning discovery that Sprint does not support Google Wallet on this device, which is the key reason to have NFC on a phone, so...hmmm.

- Billish

12 REPLIES
Master

Re: Band Across Middle of LG Optimus G Screen Doesn't Respond to Touch! (Bad Screen)

Sorry for the inconvenience. I would suggest  you to visit Sprint Service and Repair store  to have your device checked. www. Sprint.com/storelocator.

Abe

Journeyman

Re: Band Across Middle of LG Optimus G Screen Doesn't Respond to Touch! (Bad Screen)

Abe:

It's a brand new device still within the 14 day satisfaction period.  Why would I take the time to locate a Sprint service center, wait in line, wait for service, and potentially wait for them to repair it and then be stuck with an already-repaired device for two years when I can simply return it in the mail and have a new one sent?

Besides which, this really doesn't seem like something a Sprint repair center can take care of.  The screen itself is obviously defective....this one will almost certainly go back to LG for examination.

I've already received a replacement phone through the mail along with an RMA return kit for the defective one.  I'll let everyone know if the replacement is also defective.

Thanks, though.

Regards,

Bill

Highlighted
Master

I understand your concern and frustration. You didn’t mention in your previous post that you got a replacement phone.  Sprint will send that device to LG for further troubleshooting and documentation purpose.

Thanks

Abe

Journeyman

Abe:

I had not yet requested or recevied the replacement at the time I posted my original note. 

However, my original note DID state it was a brand-new device.  So, my comment actually still stands.  The advice for anyone having this problem with a BRAND NEW device should be to return it for a new one, not to spend a lot of their own time getting the device repaired right out of the box.

Regards,

Bill

Journeyman

Abe:

UPDATE:  The second Optimus G Sprint sent me appears to work fine and does not suffer from the dead band across the middle of the screen.  No issues so far.    Phone works well....except, of course, for the stunning discovery that Sprint does not support Google Wallet on this device, which is the key reason to have NFC on a phone, so...hmmm.

R,

Bill

Journeyman

Re: Received Unit With Bad Screen (UPDATE: Replacement works great, though...)

I am having the same issues, but my dead spot is on the lower right of the screen. Of course, my took a dive on day 32 and it is my assumption that i am going to get screwed.

Journeyman

Mine was a very well-defined bad rectangle, and it was right out of the box.  Yours looks somewhat similar.

It's likely a bonding issue between the layers of the display at the time it was manufactured.

If you point Sprint to this discussion thread, perhaps you can convince them to do a free replacement or repair?  Obviously, there are at least a few of us who have had the same issue.

Also, if you have Total Equipment Protection (TEP) with Sprint (through "Asurion" perhaps), this should be covered.  Also, your personal property insurance might cover it.

R,

Bill

Journeyman

My daughter's phone is doing the same thing.  Getting the same BS from Sprint.

Sprint will be losing a 14 year, 4 line customer over this BS.

Pay good money for "insurance" which means "refurbs" that have previous issues as well that some $11.00 and hour tech glanced at.

Don't buy insurance, don't buy Sprint.  They have lost sight of who the customer is...

Journeyman

Here we go again. Paid for insurance, got a replacement like 9 months ago, but now the same thing again. Ugg, don't know if I'd buy the LG again and sure hope sprint is reasonable about it cause this stinks!

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.