cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I get an LG Optimus G?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Should I get an LG Optimus G?

Forum users, for some time I have been needing a new phone.  I currently have a HTC Evo Shift (don't laugh, I've actually liked it) with LauncherPro it was actually pretty speedy but this thing is at the end.  I knew I was getting bad when I have basically had to roll with "lights-on" apps like Pandora, G+, Opera, Twitter, Google Music, Maps, etc.  No more apps for my kids, banking, anything else.  No RAM. 

I was set on getting the next Nexus device that was to come out, at one point rumors of multiple vendors making a Nexus.  I was stoked.  Sure enough I was disappointed.  Not only was there only one Nexus (which I actually like) but it doesn't work with Sprint - shocker.  So I was bummed.  You might say, well just change if you are annoyed, well I have a family plan and that would be a pain for everyone else and regardless I know that I would be fine with a non-Nexus phone if I had too.  What I wanted in my new phone was Android, larger/nice screen (not a Note II size), no keyboard, decent camera, G Wallet, LTE, fast as hell, and no more RAM issues.  So after the disappoint with with the Nexus I got excited about the LG Optimus G.  Seemed like a great phone, great reviews, and right up what I was looking for and a bit more fresh than the SG3 and Evo LTE.  I was pretty set.

Roll to now, here I am now, about 1 day from my contract up, ready to go to Sprint do a final trial run on the phone and I'm seeing some issues here on the board.  Should I be concerned?  WiFi issues, no wallet, LAGGING (I don't want a super fast phone to lag alot).  Should I play it "safe" and go with an SG3 or Evo LTE which have been on the market now for a bit or should I give LG/Sprint a chance?  I don't want a lemon phone.  

Thoughts?  Thanks!

TheHammy

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Wizard

Thanks for using the online forum in search of answers. I am actually a huge fan of the Optimus G. The screen size is perfect, Note 2 is a little too big, and the quadcore processor is very quick. I have no issues with WIFI connectivity. The camera is insane, 13MP.

Highlighted
Journeyman

See the early threads in this forum for some reviews, including mine.  I have had mine for several weeks now, and I am also a "huge fan". Looking at your list of wants, the only thing it does not do at the moment is Google Wallet, although it does have NFC hardware that works fine with my Nexus 7 tablet.  WiFi works great on my phone.  I haven't been able to test 4G LTE yet, because it hasn't reached western WA, but 3G EV-DO Rev. A performance is good, given recent upgrades to the tower infrastructure here.  Battery life has been outstanding.  The only thing at all that I can find to complain about is quirky behavior of the volume control when playing voicemail messages.  I solved that by integrating the phone with Google Voice and using the GV Android app instead of the Sprint/LG voicemail function.

I would urge you to ignore the thread on this forum about poor battery life, overheating, and performance lags, etc. when making your purchase decision.  The user who started that thread received a defective unit, likely with a shorted battery, defective during manufacture.  In no way are his experiences typical or meaningful for this phone in general, and they only reflect the performance of a device with a bad battery.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have had the phone over a week now and it is great. I had the same phone and the same problem you have, plus the stupid reloading issue cause I liked sense. The screen is really nice and a perfect size in my opinion. Sucks that the optimus g2 is already being talked about but I lived with the shift for 2 years I'm pretty sure this phone will be less of a frustration. This phone is really fast, great for games.. thank god I can finally play games without them lagging! The camera is good, I thought it would be better since its  13 mp. I haven't had any of the problems people have described in the forums, except that the brightness can't be brought all the way up cause it says the phone is too warm, then again it still looks really bright. Any brighter and I would go blind. Coming from a shift, it is a little weird to type. I'm still getting used to it, I tend to hit the period button instead of the space quite often. I have my phone with the otter box case sprint sells and it still looks nice. The phone does warm up a bit, but it's no different then when my shift would warm up. All in all I would say I am very happy optimus g owner. I would give this phone five stars if the camera was a little better. Hope this helps.

Ps. Out of the box it comes with settings I didn't like, but you can change them, such as WiFi turning on even when you turn it off cause of the connection optimized app.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks to you all for your helpful replies. 

Steve_in_WA I did go back and read the reviews and they are helpful.  I appreciate hearing your thoughts on the reviews as well.  Sometimes these reviews do need to be distilled to determine if indeed there really is an issue.

Thank you.  HaLo17, glad to hear there is another Shiftie out there.  You know I was reading on the andriod forums and there is so much out there on rooting the shift.  I think alot of people actually liked it.  Don't beat yourself up too much about the G2.  The earliest I have read that would be available is not until May but most of what I have read says not until fall.  That said its a different phone, bigger...and I can't imagine anything larger than the Optimus G being a good fit for me.

I think I'm still in the market for the G...

Highlighted
Journeyman

There is a very small number of optimus owners on here. Have any of you noticed a slight buzz in the earpiece when talking on the phone? I have it on mine but it doesn't happen all the time. Went to a sprint store but they couldn't replicate it so they are giving me a hard time. The nexus 4 forums are filled with this complaint and the hardware is almost identical to the g.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat