cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So how does this work, exactly..?

Go to solution
Journeyman

So how does this work, exactly..?

So I plugged in my preorder, and I'm looking at my EVO, wondering how all the apps, contacts, etc will get transferred.

I asked at the sprint store, they said that I'd just pop out my SD card and put it in the Optimus G.  (with a hammer maybe?)

Another place said that they had some machine that would transfer everything, but they didn't seem too sure about it.

I've backed up the entire memory of the phone, should I be doing something else in the interim?

Also, some of my contacts are confidential, do I need to worry about that? 

4 REPLIES 4
Journeyman

Re: So how does this work, exactly..?

If you have an EVO then you have a Google account and if you have your contacts sync'n with your gmail account then that part should be good . If you also have locally saved contacts then Sprint (at one of the corp stores) should be able to transfer those directly.

Regarding your apps I do not think the Sprint machine will work for that, but if you downloaded your apps from the Play store you should be able to reinstall everything from there, or the Amazon App Store. Still it is a bit of trouble and not automatic. If you side loeaded anything thatn that is all manual. SInce the Opt G doe not support a SD card of any kind that obviusly won't work.

I'm sorry if this does not help much but I think you already have an idea that the transfer won't be on easy step.

Journeyman

mm90s said it well,  log on to your gmail account from a computer to make sure all of your contacts are backed up there and when you sign in on your new phone with your gmail account they will automaticly transfer.  when I switch phones I like to take my call history and my texts with me and I use an app called mybackup pro. There is a free version but I bought the paid version, it lets me back up online, which comes is handy when you cant use a sd card. Also in the play store all of your apps that you ever had are tied to your account and you will not lose the ones that you have purchased either, you can just redownload.  Does require some time and effort though.  hope this helps.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok, I was hoping that by now things were a little more automated than that, but I can deal with it.

I think I'll avoid the sprint store people I've talked to since I would worry that all my data would end up in the bit-bucket.

Journeyman

If you haven't already figured it out, download the Sprint Protection app from the Play store and create an account. It then backs up all of your contacts along with providing access to a map and alarm if the phone is stolen. On your new phone just redownload the Sprint Protection app and sign back in. It will automatically redownload all of your contacts including contact pictures. I find it handy if I have to do a complete reset of my phone.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat