cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Messaging App glitches

Highlighted
Journeyman

Text Messaging App glitches

Over the past couple of weeks, I've noticed a glitch in my Text Messaging app (the stock Messaging app loaded on the phone).  I'm running Jelly Bean version 4.1.2 (LS970ZVB).  I use the Swype beta keyboard and WidgetLocker lockscreen (those are the only apps I think might be relevant).

If I'm in a text thread with someone, here is the sequence of events which lead to the bug:

1. I send or receive a text message.

2. I push the power button to turn the screen off (still in the text thread)

3. I receive another text from that person.

4. I unlock my phone, which returns me to the screen.  Their text is in the thread.

5.  When I click on the box to respond, my keyboard pops up to allow entry.  I can type as much as I want (and Swype offers me alternative words as though I am typing), but nothing appears in the text box.  I cannot hit the Send button on the message.  My visual indicator that this glitch has happened is that the keyboard is still showing all lower-case letters (rather than upper case for the beginning of the sentence).

Has anyone else seen this?  I haven't started actively troubleshooting in terms of disabling specific apps.  I have updated the PRL and anything else that would update on my phone, but the problem still exists. 

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: Text Messaging App glitches

This is only a hunch, so take if with a grain of salt and see if it's plausable.  Sounds like a Jelly Bean bug brought about in part because the notification that you've received another incoming text message isn't being cleared since the app is still open when you unlock the phone. You're able to read the new entry in the same thread without having to reopen the app (which would delete the notification).  I'm betting that if you weren't in the app, you'd clear the notification automatically by opening it and you'd then be free to do your data entry.  To possibly test this hunch, you could turn off notifications for text messages and see if you get hung up when the app's open and another message comes in on the same open thread.  Don't know that you can do much about this aside from backing out of that thread, but I don't do text conversations like this and it doesn't occur for me.

Journeyman

I'm having the same problem or something along the lines. My stock messaging app just doesnt load. I uninstalled anything that couldve caused it but still nothing changed. Now im stuck using go sms until i can get a hold of sprint and they send a replacement. Boo

Journeyman

Don't know if you're up for an experiment, but I'm curious to see if it would work.  You say that GO SMS works on your phone, but the native messaging app doesn't.  I use the native messaging app on my phone and it seems fine.  (I have Android version 4.1.2)  I found an app in the market that will extract .APK files from the installed apps on your phone.  (Once you have the .APK for an app, you can copy it to another phone and install it with a simple file manager.)  I extracted the .APK for the native messaging app that I could email if you like.  You could then install it on your phone over the original and see if it makes any difference.  Let me know if you want it. - MarkC

Edit. - Tried to attach the file to this post, but received an error that the file was too large to attach.

jkray,

Sorry for the delay.

Didn't see a response back from you. I did notice one of our other community members did post a reply.

Was this helpful and did it address your above posted concern?

Thank you,

George M.

Sprint Social Care Team

HeyPapaSmurf ,

Sorry for the delay as well.

We appreciate you reaching out. Didn't see a response back from you either.

I did notice one of our other community members did post a reply.

Was this helpful and did it address your above posted concern?

Thank you,

George M.

Sprint Social Care Team

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat