cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WI-FI Keeps turning itself on

Journeyman

WI-FI Keeps turning itself on

Has anybody else noticed that with Wi-Fi turned off, it turns itself back on after a while? I have gone into the advanced wi-fi settings and checked the "keep wi-fi on during sleep ONLY when plugged in" but the problem still occurs (with the phone unplugged).

As some of you have probably noticed ..even with ECO mode turned on, the battery life is not that great and its crucial that everything unecessary is turned off

14 REPLIES
Master

Re: WI-FI Keeps turning itself on

Go to setting-wireless and networks-mobile networks  .. automatic connections...should be right in there somewhere and have an option to check or uncheck it.

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

Sprint Social Care Team

Oklahoma City

Hours Monday- Friday 6am - 3pm

https://network.sprint.com/   THE SPRINT NETWORK OF THE FUTURE IS UNDER WAY

Journeyman

Yes, I have noticed this happening several times in the past month, but not in the past week. I don't think it had anything to do with my settings, which I had not changed.

Journeyman

Ok, I think I have the culprit .."Connections Optimizer" under Mobile Networks. For some reason, Sprint in its infinite wisdom thought it was a good idea to continously scan for open wi-fi networks..even after the user turns wi-fi off??????

Now the problem is, even after I disable this useless option, it still shows under my Running Apps....!

Wizard

Hi tucsonarizona,

I understand that you are having an issue Wifi turning itself on. I believe that may be due to the Sprint Wifi Optimizer. Your phone will automatically detect and connect you to Wifi. This is an option on your device because when your phone is connected to Wifi it helps to conserve battery life. You can modify this specific setting by completing the following steps: Press MENU>>SETTINGS>>MOBILE NETWORK>>CONNECTION OPTIMIZER and choose to disable the Sprint Connection Optimizer.

Please let me know if this helped.

Thanks for your Community Post.

Yahkie W.

Social Media Care

Journeyman

Yahkie- I had already noticed that, but thanks for your quick response.

However, it does not seem that this app can be disabled even after unchecking its enabling box. I have unchecked the box, restarted the phone and lo- the app is still under my running apps.

I did a little test to see if the option can REALLY be disabled. I unchecked the option, went back and clicked on Connections Optimizer, got presented with legal terms and with options to agree or more information- ignored both and clicked back..and what do you know...the option somehow got checked again!!!!

Now the legal terms mention of information being relayed back to Sprint, and I am wondering if somehow this is why I cannot apparently be able to disable this even though Sprint says otherwise...

Could other users please confirm this issue?

Wizard

tucsonarizona,

I noticed the same issue occurring on my device as well. After you have selected Turing off the Sprint Wifi Optimizer, you may still have to go into  your Wifi settings, and make sure you've turned Wifi off. While you are in Sprint Wifi Optimizer, please make sure the check box to the the right, is unchecked. Confirm that Wifi is turned off by simply going to MENU>>SETTINGS>>WIFI>>OFF. Once Wifi is completely turned off, check your device settings throughout the day to ensure that remains off.

Thank you,

Yahkie W.

Social Media Care

Journeyman

Yahkie-

The issue is not with the wi-fi being completely off (which I had turned off btw..hence the frustration with this optimizer nonsense that turns it on back again)- its with this connections optimizer that miraculously keeps turning itself back on..it still shows under my running apps, and is still checked even after I uncheck and reboot the phone..anyway I can uninstall it?

Highlighted
Wizard

tucsonarizona,

I totally understand your concern. I just checked on my device, and although Wifi is turned off, the Optimizer is still running in the Applications Manager. This program will continue to run on your device, and unfortunately it is not able to be uninstalled.

Thank You

Yahkie W.

Social Media Care

Journeyman

So we have a useless app that we do not need, and apparently cannot disable either, and eating up the battery from the background.

Another forum user here had posted concerns about the Android OS consumption being a little higher than normal, I think I know why now. So Sprint advertises a phone with a large battery capacity, then for some reason decide to sabotage the very same capacity by forcing on us features that I really cannot see how they are useful expect to Sprint for its information gathering...

Community News

Having trouble posting or viewing your Private Messages? We made an update to the Community registration process which requires you to validate your email, click here to read more about it.