cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is using so much of the RAM?

Journeyman

What is using so much of the RAM?

When I go to Task Manager and Stop All apps, my Optimus G says that it has 1.34GB of the 2GB of RAM in use.

What is using up all of this RAM??  My old Nexus S 4G ran both ICS and Jelly Bean with 512MB of RAM total.  I'm frustrated that I can't find all of the running processes, and I'm afraid that LG and Sprint bloatware is using up a big chunk of the RAM. 

Does anyone know a way to determine what is using up all of the RAM, and ways that I can reduce some of this usage (without rooting and flashing a stock Android ROM)?

4 REPLIES 4
Journeyman

Re: What is using so much of the RAM?

If you are using the task manager you access from long pressing the home button- I did notice that too. Also, it does not seem to close any apps as it claims. The only task manager I have seen that is actually seems to work is the one you get under settings-apps. The RAM use measurements are completely different there and there is a whole bunch of running/cached apps that the other task manager did not show,

If you think about it, there has to be something wrong this that task manager as you have to the option to "force close all"--but your phone is still running! There is a whole bunch of stuff running in the background

Journeyman

Go to Settings, then click on Apps, and click on Running.  It shows the amount of RAM being used by each app (process and service).  Welcome to modern multitasking operating systems.  Just because it says you "only" have 1.34GB free, doesn't mean much with regard to performance.  Just like Linux, Windows, and Mac OSs, Android 4.x has more processes running in memory to support more new features, but it can swap tasks in and out of memory, and there's not the same need to mess with task killers as there was in the past with pre-4.x versions.  And, just like with other operating systems, manually shutting down various processes often causes more problems than it solves.

Just enjoy the phone and don't worry about it. 

Journeyman

The Running Apps section is better, but shows 0.92GB being used.  I'm not running any more stuff than I used to run on my Nexus S 4G, which means that the Optimus bloatware is using at least 0.42GB of RAM! 

For the record, the phone said it was USING 1.34GB, not having that much free.  So to have the phone with only a few apps running say that 3/4 of the RAM is used is a bit concerning.  I know when Jelly Bean launches, that it uses up more RAM, so I'm concerned that this new phone won't be able to handle much more!

Journeyman

The reason why LG put 2gb of RAM is because of all the background running processes and bloatware that LG installed when they tweaked their version of ICS with the LG theme. Generally there is about 25-40 processes running on the LG version of ICS.  Items ranging from LG Keyboard, System UI, EMAIL, Package Access Helper, Device Manager Social+ Settings, DRM service, and a host of others that is needed to run the phone and it also includes Apps and tasks you are running.  The stock task manager only kills Apps and processes that are not needed by the Stock Android System.  Generally if you kill all processes you should have about .9 - 1.05 GB of free memory.   I always thought why not put at least 4GB of memory instead of 2gb but then the phone would also cost more. Remember, companies like this must make millions of phones to sell and it adds up if they start putting in more features in a phone and their main goal is to make money even if it means a less superior product.  I still think this phone is really fast to what's on the market now and from my previous phone.  I also recommend to not install any third party task manages or "task killers" because the new android operating systems, ICS and Jelly Bean are optimized to kill apps and tasks that are not being used to free up memory for apps and task that are being used unlike the the previous Gingerbread system 2.XX.  Those other task killers and optimizers are obsolete and will do more harm then good because they kill most processes that are needed to run your phone at it's optimal level and can actually slow your phone down because the Android system has to reboot those needed processes which intern will use up more battery.  When ever I feel phone start to lag I just open he Stock built in "Task Manager" and click the kill button twice it does the job and every once in a while I will reboot the phone.  BTW the stock Task Manager only shows apps and not the actual Android processes. I hope this helps.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat