cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youtube app won't work when not connected to wifi

Journeyman

Youtube app won't work when not connected to wifi

Ok here's yet another bug I have discovered and also was able to replicate it on another LG Optimus G phone.

With the latest version of Youtube app installed it will not play any videos when connected to the regular Sprint network (3G or 4G).  It will only work when connected to Wifi.  This is not a signal or data strength issue either.  This happens when I have a good strong 3G or 4G signal and every other app or data application is working great.

So what I did is uninstalled all updates on the YouTube app and rolled back to the factory version.  Now it works fine and plays on 3G or 4G like it should.  But I have to change the update setting on the playstore app to not automatically update the apps so that I can remain on the factory version (which I shouldn't have to do). BUT now I can't even do that because the Play Store app forces closes every time when I try to access the menu to change the setting to not auto update! Ugh!

This phone has been one big nightmare for me ever since I got it.  So many glitches and bugs and none of them were fixed with the firmware update that rolled out last year.  But I will be getting a new phone in 2 weeks so I guess it really doesn't matter anymore.

30 REPLIES 30
Master

Re: Youtube app won't work when not connected to wifi

Has Google said anything about it? Are other Optimus users having the same problem?

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

Haven't heard any mention of it yet but I was able to duplicate the problem on all three of our LG OG phones. 

Master

Afraid of that, sounds as if there is an issue with the YouTube and the Optimus then. Only thing I think you can hope for is that Google releases a update to YouTube that addresses it on the Optimus.

Have you tried getting a hold of Google in reference to it? Goto the Play Store, find the YouTube app and then scroll to the bottom where it has developer information. Select Send Email to report an issue. Explain the problem and supply your phone number in the email. I say this because I've had them call me when I've supplied my number in the past.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Master

It looks like with the firmware the phone is running and the most recent Youtube update they may not be compatible. Unfortunately as the Optimus G is an older phone LG is not supporting it any further and will not be releasing any further firmware updates.

- John
Sprint Social Care
Master

Hence the reason got recommending the OP contact Google. LG may not be supporting the phone anymore, but it doesn't mean that Google doesn't care or won't listen.

--

Journeyman

Thanks everyone.  I'm just going to toss the phone aside now and not waste any more time on it.  I qualify for a new handset now.  But honestly this kind of stuff should not be happening and it's a shame that quality control has become horrible for these google updates and also lack of firmware updates by LG to fix issues.

Wizard

I would still make a complaint to Google because the phone is less than two years old. Hopefully, the Android Silver program will be fixing issues like this in the future.

Journeyman

Im having the Same issues with My fone! I shouldnt have to get a new fone that Ive only have had a yr & a half. We pay for our services every month & they should work properly for us no matter what fone we have. Besides, its not an ancient fone

Highlighted
Journeyman

Im having the Same issues with My fone! I shouldnt have to get a new fone that Ive only have had a yr & a half. We pay for our services every month & they should work properly for us no matter what fone we have. Besides, its not an ancient fone

Master

414chele - Please let me know what type of phone it is and also what android version you are running. I will check to see if there is a work around for the issue. I will also check for any pending software patches as well. - Kareem
Sprint Social Care
Master

Larryt1971 - I can definitely understand your frustration in regards to this firmware issue. In regards to you getting a new phone, you can get the specs and detail on new devices at shop.sprint.com. - Kareem
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat