Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

text message error 9230

Journeyman

text message error 9230

Hello,

I have a one year old LG OG 4.1.2 ZVC.

last year some time I enabled "CDMA SOC 2 way SMS blocking" on my sprint account since I do not send or receive text messages.

for the last 2 days at reboot I get the message: "9230 you are not allowed to send text messages 2120".

To be clear, I am not trying to send a text message, I do not use messaging.

I'm concerned, is an app trying to send a text message?

Could I have picked up a Trojan/virus, etc?

Lookout a/v (free version) is installed.

I use stock android apps & weather bug, feedly, overdrive media, jorte. google drive. No games. (all installed from the play store) andall apps are up to date.

I rarely use the browser or chrome.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Glenn

19 REPLIES 19
Master

Glenn-CO

I definitely can understand your concern. Were there any updates done or apps installed recently?

Joel

Sprint Social Care Team
Journeyman

Hi Joel,

Thanks for the reply & sorry for the delay in responding. I didn't get an email notice.

Yes, there have been recent updates: google drive, google sheets & docs, and chrome browser.

a quick check with sprint zone>my device>dashboard> shows Lookout & Polaris Office 4 as being able to send SMS messages.

Any new thoughts?

Thanks,

Glenn

Master

Glenn-CO - Thanks for getting back to us. The error is indicating that "the originating subscriber is blocked from sending text messages". So your phone definitely recognizes that the service is blocked. Since you are receiving the error code, I do believe that there may be an app that is trying to send messages. On your phone, please dial ##72786#, allow the phone to reboot and complete several updates. Once complete, let us know if you continue to receive the error message. - Jonelle Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Hi Jonelle,

I entered the code,  on the final reboot the error message appeared.

Is there anyway to determine what app is trying to send a message?

google sheets, google docs, & chrome are the 3 apps that were updated 3 days ago. Which seems to be when the error message first appeared.

And lookout updated the malware definition list that same day.

getting very nervous,

Glenn

Master

Glenn-CO - Don't worry, it doesn't appear to be an issue with malware, from our research. We don't have any way to determine which app may be causing the problem. Usually when it is software related, we would recommend for you to back up your data and factory reset the phone. In this case, you can stop by your local Sprint store, so we can check the phone with our tools. Also, another suggestion is to go into your Apps list, and with the 3 apps that recently updated, verify if you have the option uninstall the updates. You can also try signing out of your Google account on the phone, then re-signing in. Let us know if you try any of the above or if you have any further questions. We are here, and will continue to work with you. - Jonelle Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Thanks for your help. It's going to be a while before I can try your suggestions. I"m self-employed, working 10-12 hours a day 7 days a week.

I'm tired of fighting android, for the past 4 years there is always something.

I'm over 50, and need a reliable business communication tool. I have cut back my use of the phone to nearly zero because of constant problems (mostly gapps crashing). I don't have any games on my phone. I use it primarily for business: gmail, jorte calendar, feedly, weather bug, google drive, and for entertainment overdrive media (ebooks & audio books).

I rarely use the browser (too many crashes & security concerns). I don't bank or do any other financial transactions anymore.

So, when my schedule slows down, I will try your suggestion. but more than likely, I am going to end my frustration with android & go to Blackberry Z30 (so after 15+ years with sprint jumping over to Verizon).

Again, thank you for your prompt assistance.

Glenn

Journeyman

new information on issue

I'm still getting the 9230 error message at reboot.

I tried removing google account, then resigning in. That didn't help.

I noticed in accounts & sync that sync was stuck on contacts. The message "sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back soon"

It as hung there for a day.

I tried clearing contacts cache & data, rebooting, no luck.

I downloaded an app from the google play store "contact sync fix" & it came back with the error "fake ICE group".

Could ICE be corrupted & trying to send a text/sms message?

Also, I'm living car free and at this time can't make it to the Sprint store which is about 8-10miles away.

patience wearing thin,

Glenn

Message was edited by: Glenn-CO gmail & Jorte calendar are not syncing. The code you had me enter or signing out of google account appears to have made matters worse. I'm not getting gmail notifications or updates that I make in google calendar on my pc are not being updated on phone calendar (using jorte). And yes, after I signed back into google account I went into sync & checked gmail, calendar, contacts for syncing. I missed a very important email from a client that cost me $$$$$. last December I did a factory reset, phone ran great for a few days, then problems started popping back up. ZVC update last fall seams to have messed this phone up. I wish google, LG & Sprint could help me otherwise I will take my business elsewhere (which from contact here & with customer support, no one really seams to care if I leave). Glenn

Message was edited by: Glenn-CO
updates made in jorte on LG OG are synced back to google calendar on PC.
updates made in google calendar on PC are not synced to phone (yes sync calendars is checked). If I uncheck it, then check it, the calendar syncs properly.
Gmail notifications are not making it to the phone.
Is this a google server problem or phone problem?
Glenn

Master

Glenn-CO,

By chance have you added Google voice? What text messaging app do you use?

Stephanie P
Social care
Journeyman

no, I don't have google voice.

my first post clearly states: I do not use text messaging, that is why I blocked it (in my sprint account).

glenn

Master

Glenn-CO,

I apologize my mistake. Would you mind doing me a favor and just checking to ensure that Hand-cent and GoSMS are not installed on your device? These are common causes of the 8737 short code message and just want to make sure that they are not the causing the impact!

Stephanie P
Social care
Journeyman

sorry for my attitude, I'm very frustrated with Android, google & sprint (guilt by association).

the only apps I have installed : craigsnotification, google docs, google drive, google sheets, feedly, jorte (calendar & task), lookout, over drive media, weather bug, xiia live & contacts sync fix (I installed this today to clear up a sync issue, it notified me of fake ICE group, could that have anything to do with the 9230 error?).

I use as many LG OG shipped apps as I can.

Because of constant problems with the phone, I use it bare minimum.

I have disabled the following apps: browser, google(play books, play magazines, movies & Tv, play music), google+, hangouts, picasa uploader, shopper, weather, youtube.

wifi,& blutooth are both off.

my gmail account is set for auto sync: app data, calendar, chrome, contacts, gmail,

network -69dBm 16 asuEVDO revA (4glte not available in Pueblo CO)

LG optimus G LS970 4.1.2 android ZVC update.

all apps are current (except google maps, I like the measuring tool feature that isn't available in the current releases).

I reboot every morning, and 1x-several times during the day (because of sync problems).

Ram under 1GB used, over 1GB free

internal storage 1.21GB used 23.8GB free

Glenn

Message was edited by: Glenn-CO
not sure if this has any impact, I recently deleted data/cleared cache in "google services framework" trying to solve another problem. Which I just found out causes more problems than it can potentially fix & is therefore not suggested.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat