cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10/3 - LG Optimus S - revert from Gingerbread to Froyo

Wizard

Some of the people designated to read these forums do more than just read themSmiley Happy.  What you are seeing in these posts is directly from Sprint, so you can consider it official communication.  Sounds like you may want to revert back to Froyo if your phone is beginning to exhibit some of the problems. 

Oh, and thanks for the recognition...it's appreciated.

Highlighted
Wizard

lnks have been fixed...thanks for the heads up.

Journeyman

OK, I am having all the knwon issues with the update. Extremely frustrated at how this has been dealt with. I was going to be patient and wait for a proper fix instead of goinmg back to Froyo. However, since I use my phon in my car most of the time, I got sick of being unable to charge it.

Today, I decided to install the Froyo zip file. I followed all the instructions on the Sprint site. The update appeared to load with no issues and I rebooted, excited to have a normal, working device again. Once it started up, I received error messages as follows:

Sorry! The process android.process.media has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again

Sorry! The process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again

These 2 errors come up constantly. Now my phone is 100% useless. I rebooted many tiems, removed the battery twice for extended periods and even redownloaded the update zip and reinstalled it 3 times.

Journeyman

been.jammin1 wrote:

Have you installed the new drivers on your computer? They can be found here:

http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/LG-LS670-Purple.jsp under Resources > Downloads > Driver

Or try this link....

http://www.lg.com/us/products/documents/LGAndroidDriver_WHQL_ML_Ver_1.0_All_Win7.exe

oh..my..god...really? Did you not read the part about me DOING THAT A DOZEN TIMES AND IT DOESN'T WORK FOR ME??

Journeyman

I have to say that I'm impressed that the rollback is being offered, rather than just telling customers to suck it up. I considered rolling back to Froyo, but I think I'll keep my Gingerbread -- the only issue I'm still having is the SD card unmounting from time to time. Overall, Gingerbread seems to work well for me, knock on wood!

Thanks, Sprint folks who have endured our wrath.

Journeyman

Another issue I am having since the Gingerbread upgrade that I don't see these mentioned in these posts -

I plug my phone in to the wall everynight to charge.  In the morning, it is dead or the Android symbol is on the screen.  Pushing buttons doesn't bring it alive.  The only way to revive the phone is to pull the battery. 

Something that other may be having that needs to be addresses as they work on a revised upgrade.

Journeyman

I did have the issue with my phone randomly shutting off, mainly at night and the only way to turn it back on was to take out the battery. I took it to the Sprint repair and they put it back to older operating system and it stopped doing that. It still had some other glitches and I ended up having them replace my phone with a new one. Now it is working great. I just can't assign ring tones after signing in to my gmail account. I have contacted LG and they are supposed to get back to me. I was told not to leave my phone plugged in over night as it causes the battery to swell and will cause problems with the phones software. I don't know how true that is, but I do everything I can to avoid problems. I just charge my phone during the daySmiley Happy Best of luck to you. If you can't find anyone at Sprint who can resolve your problem send an email to Dan@sprint.com

Journeyman

I took my phone to my local Sprint store this morning because the last few days my phone wouldn't charge. It just started this a few days ago, but I've been having the other issues from the update (sd card removed, random shut off, etc) ever since I downloaded it. I saw on here that the software update was likely causing this. The technician said he reverted it back to the previous software and that the problems should be resolved now. I plugged my phone in when I got home and it seemed to be charging normally. I turned it on after charging for a few hours and it said it was at 80%. It has now been stuck at 80% since then, a few hours later. So any other ideas how this can be fixed? There's clearly still something wrong. I guess I'll be taking it back to the Sprint store again tomorrow and see what happens.

Journeyman

Somewhat similiar issue... take a look at your phone when it is charging.  Mine is sucking the charge from my phone battery instead of charging it.  It's possible yours is doing the same thing.  Just this morning I plugged it in with 25% charge and within 10 minutes of being plugged in the charge was down to 10%.  Rediculious.  I thought I was the only one experiencing these problesm so I came online to get the Sprint number to call them (since my phone is dead I couldn't call from my cell).  I'm reading through all of these posts and can't believe Sprint never sent anything out explaining that there may be a problem with the new upgrade.  I really thought my phone had been hijacked or something!  Nice to know I'm not going crazy. 

Journeyman

This worked like a charm once I figured out all the instructions.

I had to find the drivers for my pc via google because my version didn't appear in the list but I did get the right drivers for my device.  Luckily my boyfriend has a new sprint phone and his charger worked for my phone even though my wall charger and car charger didn't work for my phone after the update.  The first time I did the reset it failed miserably.  It went to a picture of some icon which I wasn't sure if it was correct or not so I waited and thought I was letting it do its thing but it turned out to just leave my screen on all night until my battery drained.  I charged my phone and tried it again - it worked like a charm. 

The reboot screens all made sense.  It didn't take all that long (5 minutes).  I now have my old screen and icons back to their appropriate color and size.  My charger works again and I can leave it plugged in without the battery swelling and shutting down my phone.  Which is really good since I use it for my alarm in the mornings.  I haven't seen the SD card unseat itself once yet, but I did only reset my phone yesterday.  I am much happier now with my phone back to my original no problem working self.

Though I do find it interesting that I had serveral Sprint reps and techs tell me that there was no way to do this and *poof*, it's done.

Sprint, if you are going to blame LG or whoever else you say that makes the kind of decisions that changes the look and feel of a purchased device then there needs to be someone in place to push back and say no, we don't allow that and to make changes only that promote new features and technology without upsetting the look and feel of the phone that customers have picked out and chosen to purchase with their hard earned cash.

Thanks for letting me know how to reset my phone back to factory settings.  I appreciate that.

Journeyman

i'm getting this same message, but no one else is!!!  help!!!!  i really want to revert back to froyo!!!!!

Journeyman

For non-tech-savvy folks, such as myself ... broke down & took my phone to the local repair center/store ... staff there was extremely nice ... rolled my my fubar phone to Froyo in about 30 minutes ... no charge, no hassle, no runaround ... best of all, my phone works perfectly once again as it did before the Gingerbread nightmare.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat