cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4/4 - LG Optimus S Software Update - Android 2.3 (LS670ZVJ)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 4/4 - LG Optimus S Software Update - Android 2.3 (LS670ZVJ)

Well uninstall the app and reinstall it. You can't really degrade a update because one app crashed. Like alot of the sprint tech says you should do a hard reset. Its always a best option to do on a new update.

Journeyman

Why is it that other companies (like Apple w/ the iPhone) can roll out an update simultaneously to all of its users, and yet this update takes 17 days to get to all of its users? I am certain that there are significantly more iPhone users across three networks as compared to Sprint's LG Optimus S user base. This is especially frusterating given the problems some of us have dealt with regarding the last "upgrade" to the LG Optimus S. I understand patience is a virtue, but given the example set by other companies, this seems like Sprint and/or LG is a little behind. Can someone from Sprint explain why this is the case?

Journeyman

Recieved notice last night on my phone this was available. Installed it and everything seems fine so far. The only issue I had was that the web browser geolocation wasn't working. Power cycled the phone and that fixed it.

I'm glad that Sprint made the effort to re-release this update, as I'm sure the Optimus is nearing the end of their support cycle and after the first problem with this OS update, I thought they'd just abandon it. It's much later than desired, but still nice to have them follow through with it.

Wizard

Anatalia84 wrote:

I have not received this update yet. When can I expect it to be pushed to my phone? I didn't receive the last update either, I'm still on version ZVD. My phone won't charge and I keep getting SD mount/unmount messages.

Google's update servers selects users randomly so it could be up until 4/25 before you receive the notification, the rollout is being pushed out in stages over a period of 21 days. The last update was stopped before it reached all users due to feedback received so that's why you did not receive the last update.

LISAJ14 wrote:

I am wondering the same thing? Are we going to be the LAST ONES to receive this "update"? I didn't receive the last update in September '11 either.  I am getting BEYOND FRUSTRATED!! The tech support online and at the store seem to not have a clue about the Gingerbread update.

I believe this rollout is being done in a longer time frame to avoid any issues and allow us monitor feedback.

Wizard

RODEZjeep wrote:

well i updated my cell, and im STILL having issues charging my cell.

i restart the cell, or take out the battery, it will charge whenever it decides to.

my computer also doesnt recognize it.....man this sucks..

It's possible that you may need to perform a hard reset on the phone to reload the updated software, occasionally this is necessary when updating or changing any software on Android. Please let me know if you need any assistance with performing a hard reset on the device. I've seen a couple of isolated reports of this but we were able to perform troubleshooting and resolve the issue so please let me know if you're still experiencing this issue.

LEFTLANETRUCKIN wrote:
After the fone updated, it will now go into a blank screen when it is idle, or if I do not push the power button to shut the screen down. It will still ring, but nothing comes up on the display! Also, pushing any button on the fone will not activate the display when it does this.

Doesn't do it all the time, but stopping "com.android.dunserver" makes it happen with less frequency. Still does it, just not as often.

Only way to make it go back to normal is to remove the cover, then the battery cover, then the battery.

Tried different settings on the screensaver with no change.

Any fixes, or a way to revert back to the older version which worked just fine for me?

Martin

Martin, have you tried performing a hard reset on the device yet? It's possible we need to reinstall the updated software on the device, occasionally this is necessary when experiencing issues right after an update.

Journeyman

hi Shane, please let me know how to do the hard reset on my cell. thanks.

Wizard

jmug wrote:

Why is it that other companies (like Apple w/ the iPhone) can roll out an update simultaneously to all of its users, and yet this update takes 17 days to get to all of its users? I am certain that there are significantly more iPhone users across three networks as compared to Sprint's LG Optimus S user base. This is especially frusterating given the problems some of us have dealt with regarding the last "upgrade" to the LG Optimus S. I understand patience is a virtue, but given the example set by other companies, this seems like Sprint and/or LG is a little behind. Can someone from Sprint explain why this is the case?

There's a lot of differences between Apple and Androids update model but specifically for your question, the reason that a lot of updates are rolled out in stages is because it allows everyone involved to monitor feedback and take action when needed and especially in this case you would want to avoid a repeat of the past update failures. Typically Android updates start off very slow and gradually increase at the later stages of the rollout. I understand this can be frustrating for you but it really is in your best interest.

Journeyman

Thanks Shane_M.

It seems to me that Android updates are not as well tested prior to their release? In the model you describe, Android seems to rely on a consensus of end users to define the reliability/usefulness of an upgrade. This is almost akin to a forced beta test for the user. Would it not be better to have a fully tested release?

Most people are not well versed in OS programming, etc. If the phone does not operate as expected after an upgrade, they just get annoyed. Then forums get filled with rants and raves, Sprint then has to recall, people don't want to mess around with things again, Sprint/Android loses support and/or trust, etc. While garnering feedback is useful, it seems like a bad way to treat a paying customer. The end user is paying for a service that should work out of the box/upon an upgrade. If a fully tested upgrade does not work, it should be fixed immerdiately (on the order of weeks, not months). Users are not paying to be used as testers. That is poor treatment of the user and in the best interest of the companies involved, not the user.

What seems to be happening is that releases that are "good enough" are being released. This amounts to laziness on the side of the professionals and leads to bad products released as "final" versions. Is it not better for the professionals or the hobbyists to test out an OS upgrade in alpha/beta prior to sending it out to the masses?  This, in my opinion, is much better for the end user. It equates to faster upgrade cycles and likely better experiences for the end user.

After all, upon the completion of a contract, a happy customer does not need to seek out a competitor's services, right?

Journeyman

I don;t wanna!!!!   Why won't it gove me the option to just say no permanently.

I don;t trust it after the nightmare last time.

So far - I haven't heard any raves or confirmation that it works.   Anyone??

They really suck at this.  And I am no hater -- but where is the option "no thanks"

Sprint doesn't know.  LG doesn't know.  What a Joke.

Journeyman

What a great idea! 

Wizard

RODEZjeep wrote:

hi Shane, please let me know how to do the hard reset on my cell. thanks.

I would recommend backing up any information you want saved such as applications, contacts, text, etc. and then removing the SD card just to be safe. Performing the following steps will reset everything on your phone: Turn off your phone, hold down volume down + home + power button, continue holding them down until you see an Android system recovery screen, scroll down using the volume keys and select wipe cache partition and wipe data/factory reset by selecting the menu key on the bottom of the phone, after you do that select reboot system now.

Journeyman

How do I go about getting the upgrade again?

I have tried the update option on the fone, just says it is up to date etc.

Martin

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat