cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4/4 - LG Optimus S Software Update - Android 2.3 (LS670ZVJ)

Journeyman

Re: 4/4 - LG Optimus S Software Update - Android 2.3 (LS670ZVJ)

DoubleTwister wrote:

bcaplin, on an Apr. 17 posting to this thread, a poster named "optimussy" stated after accepting the latest update "I can use 'regular' headphones again!"  There was no elaboration.  Just to be sure, maybe some nice people here with the latest update installed can plug in some iPod-type stereo earphones, (plain, with no attached mic) during a phone call, and let us know if they can hear the person they are on the phone with.  A further test would be listening to music through same earphones, then answering an incoming call to see if that stops the music and lets the incoming caller be heard.  If the phone calls can be heard through those earphones, this is good news for me as well, because I use a standard stereo cable from my phone to my car radio aux input, and lay the phone on the dash of my car for cheap hands-free calling.  The phone's built-in mic is sensitive enough to catch my voice even from several feet away, and the person I'm speaking to is loud and clear from my four speakers.  Last year's 2.3 update killed all that so standard stereo earphones/cables would carry other audio but not phone calls (unless you used a fancy telephone headset with a built-in mic or a crazy mutant stereo patch cable with four conductors and a mic hanging near the plug on one end).  I also reverted to 2.2 with all the inconveniences reverting caused.  I'm waiting for a definite answer on our issue before I accept this latest update.  It's a real issue but has not gotten as much discussion as some of the other problems. 

I can confirm that with the latest 2.3 updates, the following scenarios work properly:

1) Plug headphones in, then start call.  I can hear both the dialing as well as the call through the headphones.

2) Start call, then plugin headphones.  I can hear the dialing and initial conversation through the phone, then once the headphones are connected, the conversation is through the headphones.

I also confirmed that in both scenarios, the other party could hear me using the microphone inside the phone.

I was using standard 1/8" stereo headphones with no attached microphone.

I did not confirm that it shutoff the audio through the phone's speakers, but unless you had speakerphone enabled, that should be either working properly or quiet anyway.

I believe you will be happy with the update, at least in this area.  In my opinion, this feature is working properly now.

Note:  I did NOT test this functionality with the prior 2.3 update--I never use headphones with my phone anyway.  So I can only confirm that it works now, not that it was broken before.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks, LOTHSAHN!

Journeyman

>>>>>>>>Just to be sure, maybe some nice people here with the latest update installed can plug in some iPod-type stereo earphones, (plain, with no attached mic) during a phone call, and let us know if they can hear the person they are on the phone with. A further test would be listening to music through same earphones, then answering an incoming call to see if that stops the music and lets the incoming caller be heard.<<<<<<<<<<

I tried both of these scenarios as listed with no problems to report. But I updated to ZVJ from ZVD. Hope that helps!

Journeyman

I didn't want to update my phone, because I had problems last time and I was apprehensive.

Sprint wrote on here that people would be given an option to not update but that actually wasn't the case because the notification popped up on my screen every hour or so and wouldn't go away.  After a few days of this I caved and updated and I'm having the following problems:

• GPS issues
    • loses signal often; never happened before
    • sometimes the GPS/location is on even when I've stopped any applications using it, which ends up draining my battery
  • Keyboard issues
    • keyboard works but is very, very slow/delayed
    • sometimes texting completely stops working and I get an error message saying that the keyboard application has force stopped
  • Texting issues
    • sometimes the last word(s) that I've entered and already sent in a message is/are prepopulated in the text message field (even though I've already sent it)
    • I've gotten feedback from friends that they've received duplicate messages, even though they don't show up on my end and I only sent the message one
    • already mentioned, but sometimes the text messaging functionality stops working completely and won't open, and then I need to turn my phone off and back on
  • Touch screen issues
    • I have had to take my battery out on several occasions because I couldn't get the screen to turn on, and I couldn't touch the "off" selection after holding down the power button

Honestly, I cannot believe this, at all.  How can there still be problems with this upgrade?  I am absolutely going back to Froyo and will be angry and annoyed if I get prompted to download this awful upgrade again.  This is ridiculous.

Journeyman

jokylos, thanks!  It does help.  I went from ZVD to ZVH, then I went back to ZVD.  So now, like you, I'll be going from ZVD directly to ZVJ.  Now it's three people (you, LOTHSAHN, & optimussy) that have indicated my audio concern has been taken care of.  Well, actually I think I'll wait 2 or 3 more days before I take another plunge... Just to make sure I don't see a trend of other crazy peformance flaws from this latest update. 

Journeyman

Well my cell completely died.. it wont charge at all anywhere (electricity or pc).

this totally sucks.

Wizard

MARKSELANDER4 wrote:

To Shane_M:

I have the issue with the Netflix app as well. I am having issues with the audio and video not being in sync. I checked my YouTube app and it plays like normal; I also check videos that I recorded with my phone as well as movies i transferred onto my phone and they play like normal. I don't have any ideas for troubleshooting this. The only thing I have done is reverted back to the 2.2 version of Android. If I go back to 2.2 the Netflix app works fine. It seems to me that the issue lies with Netflix not making their app ready for this update or the update is not working with the Netflix app. Netflix needs to be involved with fixing this but I don't know how to bring this to their attention.

Since you went back to 2.2, are you planning on going back to 2.3? If so could you do a complete wipe before updating to 2.3 to see if Netflix experiences the same issues.

RODEZjeep wrote:

Well my cell completely died.. it wont charge at all anywhere (electricity or pc).

this totally sucks.

Were you able to take it into a Sprint service and repair location yet?

Journeyman

hi Shane, im taking it today, the cell died on me last night.

Wizard

glo88061,

I'm sorry you're experiencing issues after updating. It's likely you may need to perform a hard reset which is necessary in some cases after performing a software update. If you need assistance with doing a hard/factory data reset let me know.

Journeyman

Netflix sync isues: email

mobilesupport@netflix.com

to let them know.

Journeyman

Yeah, I'm sorry too.

Unfortunately, I was getting so annoyed with the incessant popup telling me to upgrade that I finally caved and did it and now I regret it.

So I did a hard reset last night.

And of course, the popup came back...even though Sprint said that there would be an option to opt out.  And there isn't.  I'm getting pretty tired of all of this to be completely honest.

Journeyman

> jokylos, thanks!  It does help.  I went from ZVD to ZVH, then I went back to ZVD.  So now, like you, I'll be going from ZVD directly to ZVJ.  Now it's three people (you, LOTHSAHN, & >optimussy) that have indicated my audio concern has been taken care of.  Well, actually I think I'll wait 2 or 3 more days before I take another plunge... Just to make sure I don't see a trend >of other crazy peformance flaws from this latest update.

Yes... thanks to all those who answered the headphone jack question.  I think I'm going to do the same as Double Twister and wait a couple more days before upgrading... perhaps this weekend.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat