cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4/4 - LG Optimus S Software Update - Android 2.3 (LS670ZVJ)

Journeyman

Re: 4/4 - LG Optimus S Software Update - Android 2.3 (LS670ZVJ)

Shane_M wrote:

Since you went back to 2.2, are you planning on going back to 2.3? If so could you do a complete wipe before updating to 2.3 to see if Netflix experiences the same issues.

Sure, but... What do you mean by a complete wipe?

Journeyman

After this update, one of my apps that relies on system clock timing and OnTouch events doesn't work well.  It seems to not get the OnTouch release event like it did before, or it doesn't track the history of a dragging motion the same.  I haven't debugged it since the update, but I'm guessing this is the issue I'm seeing.  Are there known issues with the touch screen on this update?  Better yet, any fixes soon?

Journeyman

Why they bother pushing Gingerbread on this 600MHz is beyond me.  After last update and reverting back I can put up with clearing the notification and sticking with Froyo.  Can't wait until they come out with Galaxy SIII.

Journeyman

If anyone want to revert backt to the old Android OS. The instrections can be found here

http://shop2.sprint.com/en/software_downloads/pda_smartphone/lg_optimus_s.shtml

Journeyman

Sprint admitted that both the gingerbread and ice cream sandwich updates are incompatible with the optimus s phones. Yet they claim they have no way of stopping the update and keep blaming lg.

The froyo downgrade shown above does work for reverting back, but does not make upgrade warning go away. 1 phone came back immediately and other a week later.

So sad such a good company plagued by idiotic engineers.

Journeyman

c694 wrote:

Sprint admitted that both the gingerbread and ice cream sandwich updates are incompatible with the optimus s phones. Yet they claim they have no way of stopping the update and keep blaming lg.

The froyo downgrade shown above does work for reverting back, but does not make upgrade warning go away. 1 phone came back immediately and other a week later.

So sad such a good company plagued by idiotic engineers.

c694:

Repeated System Update Notifications: It's a general problem in Android that you can't stop update notifications or do OTA downgrades.  Users should have ability to do so, but it's a problem across all Android phones.  For instance, my parents Nexus S has the same issue with the ICS update.  Therefore, it's not a Sprint or LG issue--there are non-LG handsets with the same issue, and there are non-Sprint phones with the same issue.  You really need to put the blame on Google on this one... (and I love Google)

The only way I know to stop it is to root the phone, which is prohibited by your TOS with Sprint.  The fact that Sprint disallows rooting is Sprint's fault.

The Optimus S is NOT incompatible with Gingerbread--that is completely false information.  The Optimus S's hardware is perfectly sufficient to run Gingerbread.  Just because LG has had issues with their Gingerbread releases does not mean that the phone is inherently incompatible.

As for Ice Cream Sandwich, it's probably possible to make it work on the Optimus S, but it does have higher hardware requirements (graphics and RAM), and the Optimus S is at the low end of those requirements.  It would likely take LG a lot of engineering work to get it done, and I doubt they'll spend the effort into it.  Some hackers have already gotten ICS to "run" on the Optimus S, but key features are terribly broken.  LG would likely be able to resolve those issues, should they decide to spend the engineering effort on them (NOT going to happen).

ICS on Optimus S (barely functional):

http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/155015-wip-rom-cyanogenmod-9-lg-opt...

Journeyman

Custom ROM like CM7 and overclocking does make a huge difference.  Stock Gingerbread that's not even rooted...that's like running Windows 7 on a cheap single core.  It'll run but lags like no other.  Sure, it'll void warranty but if you know what you're doing it's worth the consideration. 

Journeyman

Hey My Lg Optimus Wont Update I keep Geting The Over The air Update i press install and the phone rest start it open the update but says error what so i do i realy want the 2.3 Update Cause My Phone is Really Slow and some time restarts by its self

Wizard

pknipper wrote:

Custom ROM like CM7 and overclocking does make a huge difference.  Stock Gingerbread that's not even rooted...that's like running Windows 7 on a cheap single core.  It'll run but lags like no other.  Sure, it'll void warranty but if you know what you're doing it's worth the consideration.

Why do people say it will void the warranty?  I have read nothing on the Sprint terms of service that says this, nor anything in the manufacturers warranty.  Would you please tell me where this assertion comes from, other than a random forum post?

Highlighted
Master

beliving wrote:

pknipper wrote:

Why do people say it will void the warranty?  I have read nothing on the Sprint terms of service that says this, nor anything in the manufacturers warranty.  Would you please tell me where this assertion comes from, other than a random forum post?

Rooting the phone and gaining access to unauthorized sections of the filesystem to install custom operating systems (non-stock ROMs) will void the manufacturer's warranty on all of our devices.

Wizard

halcyoncmdr123 wrote:

beliving wrote:

pknipper wrote:

Rooting the phone and gaining access to unauthorized sections of the filesystem to install custom operating systems (non-stock ROMs) will void the manufacturer's warranty on all of our devices.

I understand that your viewpoint, but could you provide a reference in the manufacturer's warranty that says this?  I read the manufacturer's warranty on my Optimus S, and did not see it in there.

http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/pdf/LS670_%20Optimus_S_UG_1.1.pdf

Gaining access to unauthorized sections of the filesystem is not in the section of "What this warranty does not cover".  However, I agree that overclocking or otherwise operating the unit outside of normal specifications is against the warranty.  Just that gaining root access does not appear to void any warranty.

Journeyman

Umm...why does it matter if it voids warranty or not?  Look at it from a business perspective, why would they allow such modification like installing custom ROM's and Sprint having to deal with the headache of someone with zero knowledge just trying to customizing it and bricking the phone?  Besides, employees aren't going to be trained to restore the phone other than to tell their customers to take it to the nearest Sprint store.  Rooting?  I have no idea, I never said rooting voids warranty.  Custom ROM is completely different running different software. 

The last thing I worry about it warranty for this old phone.  I've used CM7 and rooted always.  Warranty is something of the past.  I know the risks.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat