cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4/4 - LG Optimus S Software Update - Android 2.3 (LS670ZVJ)

Highlighted
Wizard

Re: 4/4 - LG Optimus S Software Update - Android 2.3 (LS670ZVJ)

LEFTLANETRUCKIN wrote:

How do I go about getting the upgrade again?

I have tried the update option on the fone, just says it is up to date etc.

Martin

What version is your phone listed as running? Is it LS670ZVJ?

Highlighted
Wizard

jmug wrote:

Thanks Shane_M.

It seems to me that Android updates are not as well tested prior to their release? In the model you describe, Android seems to rely on a consensus of end users to define the reliability/usefulness of an upgrade. This is almost akin to a forced beta test for the user. Would it not be better to have a fully tested release?

Most people are not well versed in OS programming, etc. If the phone does not operate as expected after an upgrade, they just get annoyed. Then forums get filled with rants and raves, Sprint then has to recall, people don't want to mess around with things again, Sprint/Android loses support and/or trust, etc. While garnering feedback is useful, it seems like a bad way to treat a paying customer. The end user is paying for a service that should work out of the box/upon an upgrade. If a fully tested upgrade does not work, it should be fixed immerdiately (on the order of weeks, not months). Users are not paying to be used as testers. That is poor treatment of the user and in the best interest of the companies involved, not the user.

What seems to be happening is that releases that are "good enough" are being released. This amounts to laziness on the side of the professionals and leads to bad products released as "final" versions. Is it not better for the professionals or the hobbyists to test out an OS upgrade in alpha/beta prior to sending it out to the masses?  This, in my opinion, is much better for the end user. It equates to faster upgrade cycles and likely better experiences for the end user.

After all, upon the completion of a contract, a happy customer does not need to seek out a competitor's services, right?

Android updates are tested at several different levels and go through a number of QA processes but it's impossible to run through every possible scenario during testing, iOS has software bugs as well. Apple is able to push out updates faster because they use a different operating system and update model, you can't compare the two because it's like comparing apples to oranges. Apple has a lot more control over their software and don't have to deal with the fragmentation issues that Android does.

Highlighted
Journeyman

well i did it and it just keeps loosing charge while its plugged. in the past days it just wants to charge when ever it decides to.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I appreciate your replies Shane_M.

First of all, I do understand that all software has bugs (if not, you would not have incremental upgrades for anything, you would just new new features with new versions). I do not expect there to be a lack of bugs and do agree that not all scenarios are testable. However, using the last upgrade for the Optimus S as an example, plugging the phone into a Windows PC is not a rare instance. There are lots of people who lost the ability to do that when the ZVH update came out. The text predicting is not an isolated instance/special circumstance either. In the end, there were too many bugs that corresponded to normal operation of a smart phone that should not have existed in the ZVH update. It could not have been fully tested or tested properly and should not have been released. The upgrade philosophy/model underlying the update led to this problem.

However, I disagree with you that one cannot compare upgrade models of iOS v. Android. The upgrade model/philosophy is part of the OS, which is part of the phone's functionality, which is a huge part of the user experience. In the end, user experience and a product's reputation derived from that experience is a large part of what factors into one's choice when purchasing a mobile phone (or anything for that matter). Beside economics (affordability of a phone/plan, etc.) and marketing, it might be the largest factor. Therefore, when looking at iOS v. Android, this must be, and is, a direct comparison.

By your statement, Apple has more control over their product and iOS is less fragmented. You have just made a comparison. Android = fragmented, less control. Apple = streamlined, more controlled. There are pluses and minuses to both models, but they are directly comparable. Your last sentence is a very powerful one and one that users should take into account when making decisions.

BTW - I am not an Apple employee/stock holder/etc. After all, I do own an Optimus S (two, in fact)...

Highlighted
Journeyman

OK -- Went ahead with it.

First Bug:

It never turns off.

i have my screen set to Time Out at 1 minute.

Hasn't happened in 6 minutes.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I would like to know how to get the 2.3 upgrade again as well.  My version on the phone is 2.2.2  ZVD

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Sprint Store tech as well as the phone tech says mine is up to date with 2.2 (ZVD) and to wait for the OTA update.  However, on sprint.com chat they tell me their records show I have the Android 2.3 update already.  Sounds like someone doesn't know what they are talking about.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the 2.3 but mine hasnt updated yet n after today im not worried about it I just upgraded to 4g but sprint hasnt any info on the update cause LG is sending out the updates not sprint so they only have very little knowlage of the update

Highlighted
Wizard

jmug,

I understand what you're saying, maybe it would have been better to say it's very difficult to compare the two.

nysepete804 wrote:

OK -- Went ahead with it.

First Bug:

It never turns off.

i have my screen set to Time Out at 1 minute.

Hasn't happened in 6 minutes.

I saw someone else post this as well yesterday, what I suggested was toggle the screen idle settings from something else then back to your original setting, it worked for her, let me know if it works for you.

LISAJ14 wrote:

I would like to know how to get the 2.3 upgrade again as well.  My version on the phone is 2.2.2  ZVD

Google randomly selects phones to receive the update, so until your device has been identified by Google for being eligible for the update you won't receive the notification. It's being rolled out over a 21 day period, so it could be 4/25 before you receive it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just tried it Shane.  It worked.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, it is LS670ZVJ on the software version.

Martin

Highlighted
Journeyman

How did you receive notice on your phone that you had received the 2.3 update and where was the notice located? Was it on the notifications or someplace else?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat