cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

Journeyman

I am now also losing internal memory space for no reason.  Had 34mb last night and I now have 23.94mb and I have removed all unnecssary cache, etc with the 1-click clear app.  I also cleared my SD card as directed by another Sprint rep in a different discussion.  Is this an issue that will also be addressed among all others that we're having??

Journeyman

Hi Everyone,

I just solved the Google+ issue... apparently, it's rated as "High Maturity" and I had that maturity level disabled.  Seems a bit extreme to rate Google+ as 'high maturity', but at least now I can download it again.  Perhaps this also affected why it disappeared from my phone:  It was trying to do an auto-update for Google+, but the maturity filter had been changed since I last installed it.  I think that was creating a conflict. 

Anyway, just wanted to reply in case anyone was going to give feedback.  I love forums! 

Journeyman

Alright I finally tried a good 4 different chargers and one actually works even when it's powered on. The other chargers still don't so hopefully this helps anyone else if you're having the same issue. Good luck and hopefully this gets resolved!

Journeyman

Anyone who is experiencing issues that is rendering their phone unusable should backup and factory reset. That's exactly what the Sprint Repair Store is going to do - minus the backup   save yourself hours of pain and misery.

Updates are notorious for causing more problems, not because the update is flawed, but because no two users phones are setup the same. Everyone has different apps, settings, SD cards, and file system damaged. In a perfect world every phone would get a factory reset before an update is applied, but that just not fesable.

If you are only experiencing Data / Voice connection issues then got to Settings > About Phone > Update Profile & Update PRL. Reboot.

How do I perform a backup?

Journeyman

I did a factory reset before the update. I had no major issues except for the SD card problem. Then I did another factory reset after the update. It was working fine but now the SD card started unmounting itself again. Also right after the update I could still use all of the apps I had before but after I did a factory reset some of the apps are shown as "not compatible" with my phone. Any idea why this happened? Thanks!

Journeyman

- Device is not recognized by Windows XP, Vista, or 7 when connected to a PC via a USB connection.

Workaround: Re-install the LG USB Drivers on the PC:

1. Go to http://www.lg.com/us/support/mc-support/mobile-phone-support.jsp

2. Click on Mobile Drivers

3. Select the Sprint LGALS670.zip (Sprint Android Drivers for XP, Vista and Win7) package

That's great... now what do we do about the radio that used to be able to connect to the phone via USB and play directly off the SD card?  I'm assuming Linux based.  WHY CHANGE DRIVERS??

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint, by now you realize you've significantly impacted a huge number of customers. How did you allow LG to pass you an upgrade without testing it? The issues are substantial and should have been found. I have two phones that are experiencing the issues noted above so its more than intermittant and more than some customers. Given the significance of the issues, it would have been appropriate to push Froyo back out to everyone. At least get everyone back to a working level of software while fixing the Gingerbread issues.

When situations like this occur it's the response to the problem that customers look for in making a determination of Sprint as a service provider. Make your customers whole as quickly as possible. Your "work arounds" are rubbing salt into the wounds.

Journeyman

I am having three main issues that are in-line with others' problems that don't seem to be fixed by Sprint's "workarounds":

1. The volume is very loud during calls, even at the lowest volume setting. You can increase the volume during phone calls, but it won't get any quieter past the lowest setting.

2. Gmail won't properly sync. After going through the numerous suggestions including clearing the data and cache, re-syncing, restarting, and updating the profile and prl, gmail will sync for the first email received and give me a notification, but then afterwards, it is still not continuing to sync. I don't know if it has something to do with when I get the initial email, it uses data, and then in order for it to continue syncing, this data needs to be cleared. Whatever the case, I have to either manually refresh or re-sync gmail every time I want to check to see if I have new emails. Quite annoying.

3. My phone keeps saying "SD card safe to remove" when I am not even doing anything with the SD card. Although this isn't causing me any problems right now, I am hoping that it won't lead to any other problems.

Although I like some features of this update, I am thoroughly frustrated with the gmail syncing and volume issues. Also, my phone is freezing and randomly going to the "Android" black screen far more, though I don't know if this has anything to do with the syncing issues.

If anyone has any other recommendations, please share. Otherwise, I will either wait for sprint to fix these bugs in a patch, or if I get frustrated enough, I will reset my phone to the factory settings.

Journeyman

anyone else noticed that the customer service chat has been down LOL> they were bugging me with in seconds when i first contracted with them on here...  And yes you are responsible for this update/downgrade of gingerbread so man up!

Journeyman

I and many others on forums have reported a super-sensitive screen since the update where every tap is a double (or triple) tap and it can be near impossible to long-press anything

I've heard that later models have a different LCD, so if that's the case, i got my optimus shortly after release

Journeyman

Well, While I appreciate that Sprint is looking into the problems. I have been a customer for several years. I have always received excellent service. But right now, telling me to plug in my phone while powered off, doesn't really do much for me. And I have actually tried that with no success. Sprint may not be responsible for the update, but Sprint doesn't mind receiving my money every month. If this problem is not resolved for me, I will find services elsewhere. Honestly, I would much rather continue as a customer with Sprint because I truly have experienced wonderful service, but after reading post after post on this site and several more and not getting anywhere with resolving my issues, I'm inclined to assume that Sprint's desire to work with its customers isn't the company's top priority.

I never even knew about the proposed gingerbread update, so it's not anything I even care to have and would really like to just eliminate from my phone if that is possible. If not, then I would very much like to have my phone's functionality restored so that I can actually use the services for which I am paying.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat