cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

Journeyman

SD Card unmounting issue- has anyone tried reformatting the sd card to see if this corrects the problem?

Journeyman

I too am having problems. I can no longer use the USB cord to charge. Downloading new drivers is not a viable workaround. I am at a new computer daily (I travel to customer sites) and need to be able to plug my phone into any nearby computer to charge it.

Also, my phone is continually freezing up on a completely black or completely white screen. A few of my apps completely stopped working. I didn't want this update.

I too want the functionality of my phone back or I want a reimbursment on my bill because I am not getting what I pay for!

Journeyman

I forgot to mention. I did a factory reset to see if that would fix anything.... it didn't. Just caused me a whole lot of trouble getting everything setup the way I like it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I seem to be having the same phone charging issues as everyone else.  My phone does not show that it is plugged in when connected to the wall or car chargers, and although it says it is charging when connected to the USB the percent charged dropped.  It might be receiving a very slow charge because at times the percent charged will increase but then other times while still connected to the charger, it will decrease. Also, even with the driver update, my computer will not recognize my phone.

I had read on many forums that others were having these same issues but I hadn't found any with Sprint acknowledging any problems or anyone offering any real solutions so I went to a Sprint store.  The associate was friendly and tried to be helpful.  I was a bit dismayed though at his response to when I mentioned that I had started having trouble after the gingerbread update.  He had no idea what gingerbread was or that Sprint had initiated any update.  All he could do was offer to get me a replacement phone because I had insurance.  I went ahead and ordered one but I am not very optimistic that the replacement phone will solve anything.  Also, I am not very happy about having to get another expensive screen protector for a phone that worked perfectly fine until an software update.

I am also not very happy as a whole about how Sprint is handling this situation.  I would like to have had some communication that the update was coming as well as the option whether or not to update and a way to downgrade if the update didn't work.  Since it is obvious that so many people are having issues, I would expect to receive an email or something from them apologizing and acknowledging the issues.  I shouldn't have to dig through forums to find an acknowledgement that says they are working on the problem.  Also, the Sprint store employees need to be better informed of the upgrades and of any known issues.  I can't imagine the number of unnecessary phone insurance claims caused by this upgrade.

Journeyman

- Device not charging when plugged into a computer via USB or the AC Wall   Adapter. The Battery status under

Settings > About Phone > Status will read   "Discharging" while the device is plugged in. 

Workaround: Charge the device with a wall charger while the device is powered off. 

This does not work either. When I power the device off, then plug in a charger, the device does not charge but merely powers itself back on; and the status still reads "Discharging".

Any other ideas? (besides downloading/installing the USB drivers that have been mentioned -- I've done that and my phone is still not recognized by my computer.

Journeyman

My phone updated yesterday and now I am having the same issue's with my screen freezing up. Don't like the new texting style at all, and now my camera will not work at all. Talked to sprint and they said LG is working on the fixes, possibly by next week. They also told me that alot of the troubleshooting is just causing more issues. Really hope they get these changes fixed real soon, especially the camera, and the battery drainage, and the screen freezing.

Journeyman

I too am having the charging issues. However, the workaround works for me like this:

When I power the device off, plug in the the charger, the phone turns itself back on too. However, during this time it is actually charging (but it only charges for me up to 80%).

If I plug it back in, it doesn't charge, so I have to power it off, plug it in, and let it restart, but at least it charges some...

Sprint, please fix soon!

Journeyman

Another workaround for the SD Card is to physically remove the card and then reinsert it. This takes less time than rebooting and accomplishes the same thing. The system will recognize the card and mount it. In my case it stays mounted for several hours after I do this.

The volume problem on incoming calls seems to have cleared up in my case - or it may just be intermittent. I still have a scrambled screen occasionally and the phone's touchscreen is supersensitive which causes programs to activate unpredictably but I can live with that. The SD card and spotty/erratic reception are my main problems. I can be sitting at my desk and my signal will fade out for no apparent reason. I've missed several calls because of this problem.

Thankfully, I don't have the charging problem but that may be because my phone was plugged in overnight when it updated.

My Optimus has been finicky from day one (last November) but I've grown used to it, and I know from talking to others that no phone is perfect. A friend of mine bought a Bionic and has returned it because it is so flakey. Once the SD card issue is resolved I'll hang onto my Optimus for another year. Hopefully the longer term problem with implementation of 4G by Sprint will have been resolved and I can upgrade then. If it hasn't then I'll think about moving to Verizon.

However, if the SD Card and reception problems are NOT resolved in the next few weeks I will have no choice but make the move to Verizon now.

Journeyman

Re: Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

I'm having the following problems since the Gingerbread update:

1. Gmail sync (and possibly google sync in general) is essentially not working. It seems when the device is idle for any length of time, it stops receiving push updates. If I use my phone, and then receive an email within around 5-15 minutes (guessing), it seems like I get the mail pushed. If I leave my phone charging overnight, when I get up the next day, nothing has been pushed. Looking at the last update status shows that nothing has been synced since the day before. It's like the phone goes into a deep sleep and can't receive push notifications.

I went so far as to try K9 mail, but it had sync issues (for me at least). I'm on MailDroid (it has ads) now, and it seems to be working, but I was happy with the stock gmail app. For me, this is a huge issue that doesn't seem to be getting noted often. Maybe people don't notice they aren't being pushed mail instantly? I should add that push notifications for new mail seems to work fine with K9 and MailDroid so it seems like the problem has something to do with the way android syncs/pushes.

2. Random SD card unmounts as already noted.

3. Sometimes the phone appears to crash and reboots/gets stuck at the rolling android screen. The only thing that returns the phone to a working state is a battery pull. It's telling that I haven't had to perform a pull in the one year plus that I've had the phone, but have had to do a battery pull twice since receiving the Gingerbread update. I can't vouch for factory resets alleviating any of my problems, as I haven't tried one yet. Based on what people are posting though, it doesn't appear to be super helpful. Frustrating.

Journeyman

the only problem i have is the sd card unmounting and then my phone randomly shutting itself off and i can't turn it back on unless i take out the battery and put it back in..

Journeyman

I am also seeing the SD card unmounting and having the phone power off issues.  This is ridiculous.  Powering the phone off or having to remove the battery in order for the phone to function is unaccpetable.  Hopefully, Sprint will fix this soon.

Journeyman

As of this moment, Sprint cannot solve the problem with the upgrade.  Day three of failure to use the major functions of my phone because of the Android upgrade.   This is because of my ability to use my phone because of the Android upgrade.  Therefore, I am going to file a class action lawsuit against Sprint.  I'm not soliciting for any thing, just notifying you of the only solution I can come up with, because at 12:37pm on 9/23/11, Sprint technicians can't fix it.  You can go to WWW.JeffJacobsonLaw.com to find out more, once the lawsuit is filed.

I finally got tired of the excuses.  I need the phone to work!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat