Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

Dear Mikeyb89,

I truly do appreciate your comments here. I would like to say that my phone was plugged in when I discovered (half asleep at 4:00 am) that my phone had received some sort of update. Honestly, I had assumed in my sleep stupor that the update was from Sprint and that it was a necessity for the phone. I am not particularly high tech savy. I spent several hours just researching what the problem was in the beginning, coming to the realization that Sprint did not provide the update. But I would not have expected such an update coming from somewhere else. Anyway, I suppose that's just my ignorance about how these things work.

Regardless of how the update has arrived, it is rather rude of Sprint to "blow off" any concern to its customers. It would be nice to at least have some acknowlegment of the situation and direction on how to get the help that is needed to correct this. I am a single mom of four children, a full time teacher, and heavily involved in my community and church. In order for me to communicate effectively with all the areas for which I am responsible, I need my phone to work.

I would love to simply get my phone operational, and I have no idea how to go about doing that. I don't even know what it means to "root" a phone (isn't that the part of a plant that grows beneath the ground providing nurshiment to the rest of the plant?). Because I don't "know" as much as many others about the functionality of my phone, I didn't even know it was possible to back it up....I'm truly not an unintelligent human being. I simply did not know these things.

It would be most helpful to have some guidance and assistance from someone (namely those responsible for the update) in resolving these issues. I hold no malice towards anyone, quite frankly. I just want my phone to work. I paid for the phone. I pay for the service. I don't think it's too much to ask for the issues to be resolved in good faith to those of us who use these services. And unfortunately for Sprint, customers are going to turn to the first place they know to go (from where they get their services).

If Google and LG would provide some resources for this that would be fabulous. But until they do, I would expect that most of us "less" knowledgable individuals to turn to our service provider for guidance, direction, and reassurance that we will be able to have this situation resolved.

Again, I truly appreciate your comments because some of what you share I was completely unaware.

Journeyman

Thank you for your comment Laurie I appreciate.

Like I said I'm sorry that your phone isn't working correctly. I understand that you need your phone and I understand why you need yours because I do too. Being a computer technician I have to have my smart phone because I'm constantly getting emails of when a customers website is down or a computer has crashed. I do understand what your saying that its first step is the provider but sprint has already stated that we are sorry that this happened. Google and LG pretty much told them this is what has to be done so the only option is to go up a step and LG is the next step to contact.

So my response wasn't directed to you because I honestly haven't really noticed you complaining. You have actually seeked answers those that keep complaining and don't bother to try is what that response was more directed too.

Also my sincere apologese if I had offended you.

Journeyman

The reason we are complaining to Sprint is because that's who we're paying. Regardless of who's fault it is, Sprint is ultimately responsible for the product it sells. If a supplier (LG and/or Google in this case) performs an action that alienates a large portion of Sprint's customer base, then it's up to Sprint to coordinate whatever remedies that are necessary to satisfy their customers.

I'm not paying LG or Google - I'm paying Sprint, and it's Sprint that will be the focus of my ire. 

Plain and simple - the update was handled poorly and continues to be handled poorly. I should be able to walk into any Sprint store right now, hand the technician my phone, and say FIX IT. Sprint and LG and Google should have made sure that support network was in place BEFORE shoving the updates down the pipe.

Journeyman

Two LG Optimus S in my house.

My wife's is suffering the charging issue. Exactly what many describes. Won't charge with the OEM wall charger. Though it charges when plugged into the computer (very slowly), and of course, need to update the computer driver first per original email workaround.

My LG Optimus S works fine after the Gingerbread update. In fact, I love it as I am seeing more internal phone storage and power seems to last longer (enhanced Gingerbread power management I suppose).

Thanks for the great tidbits, Mikeyb89, very insightful. But C'mon, seriously? Plug in your phone to update the OS to install the charger driver?

Journeyman

I am having the same problem.  I have a headset, I was using it and suddenly the phone switched to speaker, then it apparently went dead.  By pressing speaker, then removing headset, I was able to continue my call.  Not good!

Journeyman

And what do we do with  LGALS670.zip (Sprint Android Drivers for XP, Vista and Win7) package?

There are multiple files imbedded within this package and it is not clear what should be done.  This is a really crappy way to roll out a new release!

Journeyman

I've been checking in here waiting for someone from Sprint or even LG to say something. We are still waiting

I got the update "pushed" to me and had no choice but to accept it and now I have a junk phone that used to work great. I don't understand why!!!

I pay my bill for 2 phones and a Galaxy Tab, never got close to my limit on the Galaxy plan, or used much data or talk time on my phones. I pay way too much for the service that I use and haven't complained one bit.

Why can't Sprint or LG give us an update that would be Android 2.2.2 (that's what was on my Optimus before I did the update) and revert our phones back to what they were but label the thing Android 2.3.9 or something.

I never had this problem with my Windos phone, I could always go back to whatever my phone came with, no matter how many updates I did. It's looking better and better all the time.

Journeyman

This is how I know [...].:

"The battery charger that isn't working is more then customer error. When ever you get any update on a phone you must leave the phone plugged in because believe it or not a smart phone is just like your standard computer. It has drivers for specific things to work and for the charger it needs to be left in so the update can recognize the charger and install the driver for it."

If it is that [...]important to have a phone plugged in, humm, maybe the would have had a text or programmed warning that you cannot update without a [.....] charger? 

The rest of  you post I can agree with, [....], OK.

Roger

Message was edited by: mapesy who removed language

Journeyman

After having the phone lockup and having to remove the battery as well as the SD card unmounting for the past 2 days after the update, I have also now just discovered that my car charger will no longer charge my phone.    This update is severly broken and I really hope Sprint addresses the issue soon.

Journeyman

What is the solution for a phone that now longer holds a charge?  Prior to this "upgrade" the phone would last about 14 hours per charge.   Now it lasts a few hours.  I'm sure the phone is charging when plugged in.  Once unplugged the battery icon shows fully charger.    This really is frustrating.

Journeyman

I know it does sound dumb that the charger should have to be plugged in during the update. I do understand the inconvience that this would cause especially with a lot of smart phone users being on the go constantly, therefore no charger being able to be connected. Right now for those that can't charge all you can do is wait for a fix. I know how ridiculous that sounds but from talking to a sprint store just yesterday sounds like LG may have a fix. Some user posted a thread that the charging might have been a google task that he killed and restarted the phone and the charger worked. The thing is the task he killed is like the main task for the phone to work. You can give that a try but I'm not gonna be reliable for anything else that could get screwed up if not done properly.

Journeyman

To save battery life which you said is a problem all you can really do is use wifi when needed, use bluetooth only when needed, turn screen brightness down, and make sure you completely close out an app after using it.

Also to help battery life in the sprint zone app you can change phone setting in there that will help save battery usage. Here is how you do it

1. Open sprint zone

2.Go to I need Help and tap it.

3. Go to power configuration and Tap It (mind you it will tell how much power drainage you using it may say High Power Drain)

4. Once you tap bring up a new screen that shows you everything that is draining your battery you will see a button on the bottom that will say low power configuration and tap that.

5. Now your phone is in low power drainage and simply click the home screen and wah lah lol.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat