cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

Journeyman

Phone is making random calls.  No but dialing pure random calls after I finish a prior call!!!

Journeyman

SPRINT FIX THIS PROBLEM! I have read page after page of disatisfaction. You WILL lose customers and lots of them. I have 3 LG Optimus S phones. 1 works fine, 2 keep freezing up and 1 won't charge at all. I have spent hours on the phone with Sprint. I took the phone to a Sprint store yesterday and they said the battery was waterlogged. This was a lie since I had charged the battery fine using the other 2 Optimus phones on my plan. I was told I would have to purchase a new phone. This is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS that the Sprint Store would knowingly tell a customer to purchase a new phone costing hundreds of dollars when the cause is due to the update that was forced upon us. During my first phone call to Sprint this morning the representative admitted that it was a known issue and that I would have to do an exchange. She told me to first try to shut the phone off and see if it charged. I called back in the afternoon to see how to go about an exchange. I was put on hold several times and transferred several times. I ended up with "advanced tech support" who said he knew nothing of the issue. I told him a rep I talked to earlier admitted to it being a known issue and that I had read all kinds of complaints on the Sprint Community and he said "where?". I spent 2 1/2 hours on the phone with Sprint today. I was finally told that I would receive an email in a couple hours giving instructions on the exchange. Guess what? No Email. I feel sorry for the poor souls who have gone out and bought a new phone because they were unaware of the problem. Its a tough economy, don't make it harder for us Sprint. You could have and should have notified your customers!

Journeyman

How long did you try running the Hotspot?  It activates fine, and it's fine while it's running.  And then at some point, it shuts down.  Maybe after an hour, maybe 20 minutes.  There's no pattern except that suddenly I'm not connected anymore because it's turned itself off.

Journeyman

Is sprint still sending out the update. Just got a new phone last night and I'm afraid that it will update. The sprint store told me that they are no longer sending out the update. Is that correct? Should I be worried considering we didnt have a choice to do the update in the first place? Please advise!!!!

Journeyman

I agree with the volume on the ear piece!  I hate that I have to hold the phone away from my head and the speaker volume is worse.  If I put the phone on speaker, the volume is distorted sounding because it's so loud.  I have a great hearing, Sprint, so I don't need to have the world hear my conversation.

Wizard

Just got off the phone with the Sprint store closest to me (which happens to be over an hour away), but the tech told me that there is an update coming to solve these problems. They are working to get it out as quickly as possible, so who knows when it might come thru...

I wish Google/LG woud re-release the Froyo 2.2.2 and push that to all phones as an update, but they would have to do some work on the digital signing and lie to the phone about the version of software (Pushing Froyo 2.2.2 as Gingerbread 2.3.4 renamed), otherwise phones wouldn't see it as an upgrade in software and it wouldn't prompt correctly. Then that would screw up the update being devised now, which would have to be versioned 2.3.5 in order to get out of the Froyo again..it could be done, but I don't  know that they would do it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Could we get an update on the update? Or should I just call in and angrily speak to a customer rep that pretends not to know what I'm talking about?

Sprint Employee

cljahn1963, I was downloading a 600 MB file on my cell phone and switched over to hotspot on the optimus for about 25 minutes. it seemed to be working. typically when you notice problem are you actively usign the connection, had there been a period in which it was connected and idle, how long will it have to be connected befor you notice trouble, and when you have trouble which symptoms do you see?

No longer working Community Response.
Wizard

Do you not read the posts above yours? I just said I got off the phone with the Sprint store, and she said there was an email from Sprint techs saying an update was coming from Google to fix this. How much more of an update on the update do you want?

pna143 wrote:

Could we get an update on the update? Or should I just call in and angrily speak to a customer rep that pretends not to know what I'm talking about?

Sprint Employee

Hello katieC2000, I see no notification that the update has been suspended, although I will update here if I find more information related to that.

Journeyman

I've had some of the same problems mentioned on the Sprint Community forum and others, but not all. The first one I noticed was the loss of predictive text, as mentioned by virtually everybody. I'd rather not resort to downloading some other keyboard, since I feel it's a problem they (Sprint, LG, Android) should fix, not me. Incidentally, I tried Swype but found it confusing and cumbersome, even though it did predict words. I would need a lot of practice to get used to it.

I happened to have my phone plugged in for charging when the notification to install the new version of Android 2.3.3 came in, so I've had no problems charging with my wall charger or the car charger. Also, thankfully, I have not had problems with SD card unmounting, volume problems, freezing or shutting down, or any of those related problems. But, as scuzzy2 mentions, I have had the same wrong information on battery use (showing 7 or 8 minutes of on-battery time when the phone has been on for several hours). I have a "Battery use" shortcut on one of my screens, and I used to check it frequently to keep track of how much each of the functions were draining the battery. Now, that shortcut is fairly useless for real-time battery usage information.

I'm also having the same problems with the email sync notifications, not getting any notification at all, or getting one 4 to 5 hours later. At first I thought it might be a problem with the 3G network, but I was able to access internet web pages when the push notification failed to come in. As for battery drainage, so far it doesn't seem noticeably worse than before, but it's rather inconsistent. One day the battery will go down 10% in a matter of 30 or 40 minutes. Other times, it will only go down 1 or 2% in a matter of hours.

Besides the above issues, I don't much care for the black notification bar, and I like the new icons even less (too small and lacking the distinctive designs and colors of the previous Android 2.2 version). And, as most have stated, there is a very annoying time lag from the time you press a button to the time the lock screen appears.

So far, I have not seen any improvements whatsoever in this so-called Gingerbread update. In short, it's been a disaster. The 2.2 Froyo was far superior for my purposes. I wish we could go back to 2.2, but I've been told at a Sprint service center that it's not possible.

Since there are so many of us experiencing all kinds of frustrating problems with the 2.3 s/w, it would be nice to hear from Sprint as to when we can expect a proper software fix without having to resort to workarounds or app downloads.

Sprint Employee

DoubtOn, have you tried to use volume control+, or factory reset the phone yet? most that I have spoken to about the volume problem states these two options helped.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat