cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

Journeyman

Just curious...what is the Gingerbread keyboard?  Is it necessary to download that particular one?  I downloaded the THICKbutton keyboard and it seems to work just fine (besides being handy for those with disabilities like I have).  However, I am now experiencing the super sensitive screen like others have complained of.

Journeyman

I have had so many problems since the update, I can't go through them all. I just really need them to fix this. Any updates at all on WHEN?

Also, a big update problem that I haven't seen mentioned is that people have told me that the texts that I send are coming through blank. I send a message, and I can see the message in my SMS log, but the recipient says they see nothing but my name and no text. Has anyone else had this happen after getting the update?

Journeyman

talk on the phone

No worries, If you read the first post on this thread they have a gob of info.  You will have to save all of your contacts, pics... etc anything else you want to save... go into  your e-mail settings and write then down (ingoing and outbound) get all of your logins and passwords for everything, even that one site you only visit fortnightly... and then... hold our breath, reset your phone. All info on your phone  WILL BE LOST FOREVER IF YOU DO NOT BACK IT UP!

When  you re-set, some problems will be fixed... others... not so much.    Sprint has promised us a "fix" but it could be a week or so off and will probably require another, wait for it, re-set.

Hope this is not to depressing.

Wizard

MGman61 wrote:

Firmware is firmware. The Android OS (phone specific Froyo, Gingerbread, etc.) is the OS. They are two separate things.

This LG issue seems like a nightmare but it's unclear from reading some of the posts if the issues stem from a firmware only update, Android only update, or a combination of the two.  Anyone trying to understand so they can help needs accurate info. to start with.

(Not an LG owner, but have gotten to know Andriod phones fairly well). These workarounds although not a permanent fix, may have already been mentioned, but in case it helps:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/09/25/experiencing-issues-after-updating-your-sprint-lg-optimus-s-...

Phones don't get updates of Android without updates to the baseband, or radio updates. Each update of android has to be made for a particular device, you can't just take Gingerbread and put into any phone of your liking..it's designed for specific devices with specific drivers for that device. The Optimus S Froyo (2.2.2) software has drivers for the Optimus S diplay, baseband, etc inside fhe froyo update..the Optimus S Gingerbread (2.3.3) update has display drivers, baseband drivers and all are specific to the Optimus S phone. Meaning, you cant take the update.zip from the Optimus S sdcard and install that update to an Epic 4G. OR any other phone for that matter, it's SPECIFIC to the Optimus.

You don't get an Android update without firmware...and vice versa. They don't just change things in the firmware for no reason...the updated OS is the only reason for new firmware.

Journeyman

My phone had the high volume issue also. Like Jadegirl I turned the volume all the way up during a call and then all the way back down. For some reason that seems to have fixed the volume issues.

Journeyman

Re: Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

JonMcR wrote:

Phones don't get updates of Android without updates to the baseband, or radio updates.

Just for the record, if you have a rooted Sprint EVO 4G, you most certainly can install radio firmware entirely separately from the Android operating system. See posts by Calkulin in the xda-developers.com forums. I suspect that this specific case indicates to us that your general statement here is not entirely correct.

Journeyman

On or about Wednesday, September 21, 2011 my phone said it was updating and rebooted itself. It was the new 2.3.3 version. The first thing I notice was the black top with neon green, I didn't really like the black but it was just cosmetic and didn't really bother me. What did bother me was that the keyboard had changed. I did not like it, especially the fact that it's predictive text was horrible, totally useless in fact! Instead of predicting the word it gives names in your contact list and words you have used on your phone and they all start with a capital letter. I called it about it and they said that there would be a maintenance update sent out within the next week or 2 that would fix it. On Saturday my phone shut off by itself and I could not turn it back on using the power button, I took the battery out and put it back in and was able to turn it on. Sunday morning my alarm did not go off and I woke up late. My phone had shut itself off. I called Sprint customer care, on the way to church. The girl I spoke to said she would call me after church and get me though to a technician who could help me. Her supervisior got on the phone to confirm the call back which we scheduled for 1pm EST. She never called me back. After 2pm I called Sprint. Basically was told that I needed to take the phone to a repair center, nothing they could do. I did not want to do that as I had learned from my last experience that they would just hard reset it and that would only give me more aggrevation and probably not fix ther problem. Monday morning same thing happened, woke up, no alarm, phone was off. Took it straight to Sprint store, where they told me they would have to hard reset it. The guy assured me that it would more than likely fix the problem. It didn't, Tuesday morning same story. At this point I had noticed other problems with my phone, I couldn't save contacts, I couldn't set a personal ring tone, I was having problems when typing in forms online, and sometimes when I was on a call I was not getting notices of incomeing calls. If they did not leave a voice mail I would not even know I had missed a call.

I called Sprint and was told by a supervison that she was aware of the problem, she herself had the same phone with problems, but that the technician could downgrade the system for me. She transfered me to the technician who told me that was not true. He told me that they were aware of the problem and their only solution was to replace my phone. The replacement phones are refurbished, not new. I don't have a problem with that, but I want it to at least look new as this is no fault of my own that I have to keep replacing my original new phone. I was struggling to accept the situation and asked him to call me back in 2-3 hours. After 4 hours waiting I called Spint and spent more time being aggrevated. While on the call with them the technician called me and left me a voice mail, but I did not get to talk to him. Luckily he sent me an email, he had created a ticket for me to go get a replacement. I was told by Sprint that I could not do this over the phone. I had to spend my time and gas to go to the Sprint store wait for an hour so that they could write up an order for the replacement phone. What a waste of my time, this should have been done over the phone. I told the gentleman to make a note that I wanted a phone with a clean screen, no scratches. He said he did. I was to come back on Thursday.

I went in on Thursday, waited for almost an hour to pick up the phone and low and behold there were mulitple scratchs on the screen!!!! I know it might seem petty, but is it too much to ask? They ordered a replacement, now I was to wait till Monday, 4 more days with a bad phone. I called Spint totally beyond frustrated. I was speaking to a supervisor who told me she could get me anther phone to replace mine, not an LG Optimus, and it would be full touch screen, no keyboard, and I wouldn't not have to pay anything, she wanted to restore my faith in Sprint. She put me on hold, after awhile a girl picked up the phone and asked me for my number. Seems I was put back into the system. I explained that I need to talk to the supervisor and told her the name. She asked me what was the problem. I told her very briefly and asked again for the supervison. The girl got an attitute and kept trying to get me to give her all the details, which I was so sick and tired of giving and I just wanted to get back to the supervisor who was helping me. She put me on hold and never came back, after about 20 minutes of holding I hung up and called back. Of course you can never get to talk to who you were because there are over 100 call centers!

I finally got put on with another supervisor who assured me that she could get me this great new phone, but she had to put me through with the tech department, he assured me he could get me this great new phone, but he had to put me thought to a supervisior, who assured me, but had to put me though to someone else who finally told me the truth, they were all liars and no one at Sprint could do anything for me. I had to get my replacement thought the Sprint store. She was kind enough to say she would credit my account an inconvienince fee of $25, well at least that will cover the gas for all the trips to the Sprint store!

This morning (Friday) I talked to the manager of the Sprint store. He explained my options: get the replacement, hope it has good screen and works the way it should or down grade to a Samsung Intercept with touch screen and keyboard. He said he could in no way help me get a better phone. I am so disappoint in Sprint and their policies that only benefit them. I guess I am used to dealing with companies that want to make their customers happy and will go out of their way to make sure of it. Not say sorry you are having this terrible experience but I can't do anything to make up for it. Here's $25 for your inconvienience.

Wizard

Re: Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

mr-phil wrote:

JonMcR wrote:

Phones don't get updates of Android without updates to the baseband, or radio updates.

Just for the record, if you have a rooted Sprint EVO 4G, you most certainly can install radio firmware entirely separately from the Android operating system. See posts by Calkulin in the xda-developers.com forums. I suspect that this specific case indicates to us that your general statement here is not entirely correct.

(EDIT) and people here don't have ROOTED Optimus S phones They have stock phones running stock roms, with ZVH basebands. The ONLY thing they can do now is force-flash back to an older baseband (ZVD or ZV9), or stick with something in the ZVH baseband. THERE IS NO MIXING (end of EDIT)

This isn't an EVO 4G forum, and as for the Optimus, which I know a good bit about (but I don't own an EVO, so can't speak for it)

You do NOT get updates to the baseband ---or Radio -- in standalone.

Gingerbread 2.3.3 updates the baseband of the Optimus S to ZVH.

Froyo 2.2.2 had the baseband at ZVD.

You don't get an update to the baseband in standlone firmware. It's designed inside the Operating System of the phone. IE, without an update to the OS, there's NO NEED in messing with the firmware.

Would you install windows updates for Windows 7 inside Microsoft Windows XP? NO.

Would you install drivers for Windows XP inside Microsoft WIndows 7? NO. They don't work.

Same theory here. The baseband, or "radio" is ONLY updated with new versions of the OS, as in, enhancements are made to the drivers, enhancements are made to the core OS so that it runs smoothly with the new OS.

And old baseband doesn't need updating in order to run with an old OS. It already works.

You CANNOT put ZVD roms on a ZVH baseband. You won't ever get signal. EVER.  You can't put ZVH roms on a ZVD radio. WON'T GET SIGNAL. EVER.

The drivers for ZVH are designed to work with ZVH basebands. Drivers for ZVD are designed to work with ZVD. Drivers for ZV9 are for ZV9. SO on, so forth. Might want to read a little bit more on how basebands and OS's are versioned and how updates are applied, and what gets updated.

Journeyman

I'm getting more and more annoyed everyday with my phone freezing up on me since this update and having to pull the battery out and the SD card constantly unmounting and remounting or saying it's been damanged, etc, etc,. I paid out of pocket for this LG Android because I wasn't due for an upgrade and my Blackberry that I upgraded too got to the point it was unusable and now I'm sorry about my choice of phone.  In February I will NOT be upgrading to another LG if this is the kind of updates they roll out. I understand they are working on fixes now but it would have been FAR better to have waited a little longer and put an update out that works than to give us something that has caused so many problems. 

Journeyman

I can't say whether or not the programmers for the Optimus separated out the radio code from the rest of Android. But the fact that the HTC EVO programmers did separate the radio firmware updates from the Android updates indicates  that rolling the OS and the radio firmware together is not an absolute,  your rant notwithstanding. (And, to your Windows analogy, yes Windows 7  drivers are specific to Windows 7 (and Vista), but it's certainly  possible to update drivers without updating the operating system, or  vice versa, as long as the interface between the drivers and the  operating system does not change. That's why there's an "update drivers"  button in the Windows Device Manager.) Given that Android was written  without any specific phone in mind, it does make sense that things like drivers for  radios could well be handled separately. Whether or not LG's developers  chose to do that is a question for them. It's not a universal.

As it happens, my wife has an Optimus S and we're  affected by the bad update. I have no intention of rooting her phone -  I'm waiting for the fix along with everybody else.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I COULDNT AGREE WITH YOU MORE!

I WISH I WISH I WISH I NEVER EVER DOWNLOADED THIS GINGERBREAD CRAP OMG I AM SO PISSED OFF --MY PHONE IS WORSE EVERY DAY AND I WILLNEVER EVER BUY ANOTHER LG PHONE THIS IS THE FREAKIN WORST

EVEN THE FIXES --AND THANK YOU FELLOW SPRINT BLOGGERS - WORK ONLY TEMPORARILY AND I AM REALLY TIRED OF IT

SPRINT WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO

Journeyman

Thank you!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat