cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

Highlighted
Journeyman

UNABLETOPICKANAME: I also use good screen protectors, Zagg Invisable Sheild (they have a free replacement plan). You pay from $14.99 to $17.99 at Radio Shack for the original one and to replace it you pay $3.99. You have to register on their website and after you order the replacement when it arrives they send you an envelope with instructions to send your old screen saver to them. Just remember to remove it from your phone when doing the exchange. Every little bit helpsSmiley Happy This will be the 2nd time I have had to have my LG Optimus S replaced and I have only been a customer of Sprint for less than 3 months! I love the phone when it works, but with my first phone having a defect and now a corrupt update.... don't know how I will bare it if my replacement phone has any issuesSmiley Sad  

Journeyman

JonMcR - you are a rare individual. That is a great story. The thiefs in this world would make us all cynics if they could.

Journeyman

JonMcR: You said "You don't get an Android update without firmware...and vice versa." What does that mean exactally? When my phone updated to 2.3.3 I remember when it rebooted it said something like "checking for firmware update" and then came back with "no update found." Does that mean that I got the 2.3.3 update with no firmware update and maybe that is what has caused it to be corrupt? Wish they could just fix this....

Journeyman

I have the exact same problem and it is BEYOND annoying now. It gets more frustrating every day. 

Journeyman

There sure is a lot of reading on the subject of the upgrade.  I've been unhappy since day 1 and went immediately to the closest Sprint store.  They couldn't help me.  They weren't rude about it, but I guess they really had no experience to give me anything useful.  Now that I'm reading all these posts, I'm more frustrated with the company that I've been loyal to for 8 years.  If I can get them to fix this phone issue, that's fine.  If nothing gets resolved, I will be going to a new provider and probably going back to a flip phone if that's possible.     

Journeyman

I won't be leaving Sprint, it's not their update that messed things up, it's LG's, Sprint is just caught in the middle as did the other carriers that carry LG phones that got cursed by this update and it was passed along to us and we are stuck with no help.  The longer this fix takes the more worried I get because I'm going on vacation in four weeks and I really would like a phone that works properly and that I don't have to pull the battery out of because it does a partial reset and freezes up and now it's randomly losing my contacts or part of their info such as one's number and another's email address.  All of this is extremely frustrating and disappointing.  I don't have an upgrade until February but my husband has one now and he doesn't want to use it so I'm about to go into our local Sprint store and ask to use his upgrade for myself because of this problem that I have no control over.  

Journeyman

Has anyone else seen the new LG advertisement?  For Optimus? (albeit a different version)  It's on YouTube.  The video was taken in Germany.  The video is cool, I'll give them that.  How about if they give everyone that has been affected by the update that phone? (laughing hysterically)

Journeyman

Not sure if it is mentioned already, but I am also having a lot of screen sensitivity issues after receiving this update.

As of now it seems like the screen has become less sensitive to touches and thus swiping lock patterns or on screen might become difficult to do.

Any ideas on this?    

Journeyman

Journeyman

Thank you for suspending the update. Unfortunately it's already updated all our phones... and I have one more issue to report. None of the video codecs on the phone work anymore. I have MP4, M4V, and WMV files on my SD Card that I use frequently in my work, but since the update, they're all broken. It seems the Android Media Layer has been affected, because any app that plays video that depends on the SYSTEM for playback (which is most of them) will not work.

For any who are experiencing the same problem, I've found an app that does its own video rendering - MXPlayer. Hope that helps.

Journeyman

The other issue that's started happening for me is that my text messages aren't sending and incoming ones are being delayed.  If I hit "send" then turn off the screen by hitting the button on top of the phone, the message won't send - it'll hang until I open up messaging again and sit there and watch it send.  This didn't happen prior to the Gingerbread update. 

I'm also having all the other issues - SD card notifications, dictionary is only my contact list, etc.  It's pretty amazing that 11 days later they still don't have a fix.

Journeyman

Re: Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

There are so many issues with (Gingerbread) 2.3 that its obvious Sprint rushed this out without testing the ­update.

I can't even use my phone as a smart phone now. I have to turn off all apps that don't deal with direct opperation of my phone and I have to turn off "Data Enabled" just to get my battery from charger, go to work, and back home to charger. Thats providing I only sent a text at lunch and don't make any calls. (Make calls on a phone, my god you expect way too much for your money). All settings are for low power usage plan.

The SD card issue is way beyond frustrating. Why would I ever need to remove my card every 20 minutes, let alone have my phone tell me it's removed that many times. Even apps that have been moved to the phone from the SD card don't work or stop working. The camera don't work when it's looking for the SD card. In the middle of making calls (phone charged) if the SD card removes itself, the phone hangs up your call and reboots the phone (hope that call wasn't inportant). When my 4 phones were new out of the box they had this same problem. After a couple months there was an update that fixed this. I believe was 2.2

I did like using my phone for my side business, but now I can't get any e-mail/gmails without switching data on and killing my battery.I know I have all the same issues as everyone else. Except I dont care about the color scheme, if the new darker colors save battery it's great. I can't spell great and I type slow, so I also hate the new texting. The screen is not as sensitive and sometimes unresponsive. Sometime the phone just crashes and gets stuck on Android screen for hours. (usually during overnight charging) Removal of the battery is the only fix.

Sprint must've known that there was a power useage problem and I feel that is why they changed the power indicator bar. The old bar represented the battery level very good. The new one shows just a small drop in battery but when you plug the phone in it shows the charging at about 35%. With the new update that represents that you won't be making any calls for longer than a couple minutes. The Old update you had about 30 minutes or more.

The Sprint Reps at the stores are useless when it come to issues like these. When I bought my phone they lied and said there were "no issues or known problems with the Optimus", untill 4 days later when I complained abut the SD card then they said "it's a known issue and Sprint has been working on it for a while".  Now after this update the problem is back. Guess they didn't learn from their past mistakes.

I find it hard to believe that they can push updates to your phone but they can't push the old updates to cover themselves untill they fix what they've done.

I've got 4 of these phones I'm paying for, I don't see anyone offering to cover my costs for Sprints mistakes. I agreed to pay for a product that Sprint no longer is providing me and yet I am bound by a contract to provide them with money. My wallet is sceaming fraud and I feel that the Sprint stores are guilty of misrepresenting and false advertising these products.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat