cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

Journeyman

Sprint whats the deal? Our phones as next to useless, constant reboots, SD card problems, Call Volume problems, Charging problems, PC unable to recognize device... We are paying clients who many of us have been with you for several years and almost 2 weeks after you pushed out a faulty update there aren't any solutions to us but installing a different ROM (Which voids my warranty) or getting a new Phone? It's time for an offer FROM SPRINT to ALL AFFECTED USERS. How about you provide a phone of the same price range (WHEN WE BOUGHT IT) WITHOUT Extending our contract? That's fair, I don't need to pay for a new phone when you were the ones who damaged mine, nor I deserve my contract to be extended because of what you have done.

ITS TIME FOR ANSWERS, DO NOT IGNORE US, WE ARE A GROUP OF CLIENTS EXPERIENCING DIFICULTIES WITH OUR DEVICES DUE TO YOUR LACK OF TESTING.

I've been with sprint for more than 5 years and this lack of comunication and responsability has made me think that its time to start shopping for a new provider.

Wizard

Re: Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

Sprint didn't give the go ahead on this update, LG did. LG is the manufacturer, and they are the ones responsible for testing new updates to the OS, not Sprint. If problems existed, it's on LG to determine the update was ready/not ready to rollout, and Spint only offers the phone as part of it's selection.  LG wanted to keep this phone current and refreshed, so they likely rushed this out to try and continue selling the Optimus.

And it's not just Sprint that have trouble with Gbread..other carriers have issues too ..not only with their version of the Optimus, but Droid phones among others have experienced LOTS of issues with OTA updates sent from Google and the phone manufacturers.

uripmeoff wrote:

There are so many issues with (Gingerbread) 2.3 that its obvious Sprint rushed this out without testing the ­update.

I can't even use my phone as a smart phone now. I have to turn off all apps that don't deal with direct opperation of my phone and I have to turn off "Data Enabled" just to get my battery from charger, go to work, and back home to charger. Thats providing I only sent a text at lunch and don't make any calls. (Make calls on a phone, my god you expect way too much for your money). All settings are for low power usage plan.

The SD card issue is way beyond frustrating. Why would I ever need to remove my card every 20 minutes, let alone have my phone tell me it's removed that many times. Even apps that have been moved to the phone from the SD card don't work or stop working. The camera don't work when it's looking for the SD card. In the middle of making calls (phone charged) if the SD card removes itself, the phone hangs up your call and reboots the phone (hope that call wasn't inportant). When my 4 phones were new out of the box they had this same problem. After a couple months there was an update that fixed this. I believe was 2.2

I did like using my phone for my side business, but now I can't get any e-mail/gmails without switching data on and killing my battery.I know I have all the same issues as everyone else. Except I dont care about the color scheme, if the new darker colors save battery it's great. I can't spell great and I type slow, so I also hate the new texting. The screen is not as sensitive and sometimes unresponsive. Sometime the phone just crashes and gets stuck on Android screen for hours. (usually during overnight charging) Removal of the battery is the only fix.

Sprint must've known that there was a power useage problem and I feel that is why they changed the power indicator bar. The old bar represented the battery level very good. The new one shows just a small drop in battery but when you plug the phone in it shows the charging at about 35%. With the new update that represents that you won't be making any calls for longer than a couple minutes. The Old update you had about 30 minutes or more.

The Sprint Reps at the stores are useless when it come to issues like these. When I bought my phone they lied and said there were "no issues or known problems with the Optimus", untill 4 days later when I complained abut the SD card then they said "it's a known issue and Sprint has been working on it for a while".  Now after this update the problem is back. Guess they didn't learn from their past mistakes.

I find it hard to believe that they can push updates to your phone but they can't push the old updates to cover themselves untill they fix what they've done.

I've got 4 of these phones I'm paying for, I don't see anyone offering to cover my costs for Sprints mistakes. I agreed to pay for a product that Sprint no longer is providing me and yet I am bound by a contract to provide them with money. My wallet is sceaming fraud and I feel that the Sprint stores are guilty of misrepresenting and false advertising these products.

Journeyman

Get this, a friend and co-worker of mine is good friends with someone at Sprint corporate, I mean like top floor corporate.......Friday she said that they had to start from scratch on the G'bread fix and it was looking like a month at this point.  Wait, it gets better.......She also said that the Evo 4G is going to see the same bugged update in the next 2 weeks and supposedly Sprint can't stop that from rolling out. Weird. Oh, and that friend/co-worker of mine switched to US Cellular on Friday after getting off the phone with his friend in the Sprint office, that is after she helped him get out of his contract.

Master

Well as the Lg optimus was just upgraded to 2.3 gingerbread and the EVO has had the ginderbread update and a couple of mantanence release  prior to LG releaseing the updated for optimus and since HTC writes there own updates the chances of getting the same update and bugs is unlikely.  Now unlikely things do on occasion happen  but this is not one I would be worried about.

Highlighted
Journeyman

She also said that the Evo 4G is going to see the same bugged update in the next 2 weeks

Seems unlikely. The EVO 4G has had the Gingerbread update for a couple of months now.

Journeyman

Hey! SPRINT!  I am on board with call6108. I could add some more user and technical issues, but we all have bombarded you with them in the last couple of weeks so you SHOULD already be addressing them all. 

call6108 wrote:

"It's time for an offer FROM SPRINT to ALL AFFECTED USERS. How about you provide a phone of the same price range (WHEN WE BOUGHT IT) WITHOUT Extending our contract? That's fair, I don't need to pay for a new phone when you were the ones who damaged mine, nor I deserve my contract to be extended because of what you have done."

I agree. I might even agree to extend my contract.

call 6108 wrote:

"ITS TIME FOR ANSWERS, DO NOT IGNORE US, WE ARE A GROUP OF CLIENTS EXPERIENCING DIFICULTIES (sic) WITH OUR DEVICES DUE TO YOUR LACK OF TESTING."

I wholeheartedly agree.

call6108 has been with you for 5 years and I have been with you over 10 years.  I realize this is an LG problem; however, this Optimus S series have been less to be desired since you put them on your market.  My grown daughter just reminded me that she got this phone when it first came out and it had problems from the very beginning. (I remember her complaining about her phone, but didn't remember what kind it was.)

PLEASE SPRINT...listen to your disgruntled and almost disgruntled clients. Make us happy and we will make you happy.  And richer.

Journeyman

Workaround for short batery life. I have noticed that if the 3G is not showing, turning the airplane mode on and then turning the airplane mode off, reconnects the 3g and the drain on the battery is slowed down.

Journeyman

The rollback to Froyo works great!  My phone is operational again!  No more goofy workarounds!

Wizard

I just called Sprint...and I tried my best -- aside from talking with Retentions dept, to get them to let me have an early upgrade on JUST ONE of my THREE optimus S phones..I am already eligible for a 1 year, and I wanted them to allow me the 2 year upgrade and allow me to PURCHASE AND PAY $30 BUCKS for the Nexus S...

Did Sprint let me? NO.

After almost an hour on the phone, and even the woman calling someone in another dept, she came back to tell me that they wouldn't allow me to do that, and that you couldn't even buy the upgrades anymore (that stopped on July 30).

Sprint has done away with ANY program that allows the customer to get a new phone outside of buying it OUTRIGHT, or waiting for TWENTY FRIGGIN MONTHS before allowing us to get a new device.

I told the lady after I went through the crap with the Samsung Instinct HD (HUGE HUGE HUGE thread on that phone in the discussion area ...the thread of bugs is as big as this one, or worse)....and I was  stuck with that phone for a year...then I convinced my sister to BUY OUTRIGHT FROM EBAY an Optimus S on September 21, the very same day that I got my other two phones upgraded to Gingerbread. I feel as though Sprint OWES me the right to have SOME PHONE OTHER THAN AN OPTIMUS..and I don't mean some Pre-Owned crap blackberry. One person tried to get me to look at a list of 7 or 8 phones, and NONE were Android..2 were Blackberry, and the others were FEATURE PHONES. What a crock?!?!?!?!?!

Sprint Corp, if you happen to see this statement, you need ot wake up and realize WHO put you guys in the seat of that fancy luxury vehicle you drive, who paid for that fancy, cozy office you have, and look at the pictures of your children on your desk there in front of you...your CUSTOMERS allow you to do all those ritzy, nice things that you do for them. WE are the ones who made you a Fortune 500 company, WE are the ones who buy into your advertising campaigns, and we are the ones who get stuck with devices that DO NOT work. In a life or death situation, if someone's cell phone fails them because Sprint wouldn't allow a stinking early upgrade, what would you do?

Thank about that next time you decide to take something away from the people who give you such wonderous things, like their HARD-EARNED money.  When you want to know why the profit margins are failing, why you're not moving from being the #3 cell phone provider in the country, and why you seem to be bleeding customers to other carriers, look back at this fiasco, look at the customers that you refused to do anything for, and ask yourself what would YOU do in a situation like this.

I doubt any bigwigs at Sprint will read this, because they are all too busy trying to figure out the next greatest thing they can do that will cause them to have to take something else away from the long-term, multiple-line customers who made then who they are today...but it's hopeful they will see some of the customers who have been refused ANY consolation effort at all by Sprint, then take a good look at customer cancellations for the month of September and October..

Then stand back and ask yourself "should've, would've, could've.."...but by THEN, it's too late, and people have already gone. Can't get that money back once it's gone, it's gone for good, along with the bad press that people will spread -- because we ALL know that bad news travels faster than good news.

I feel for the customer service and tech support people who are left to deal with the MESS that corporate decides is best...they are caught in the middle and their hands are tied, but they HAVE to listen to customers complaints and try to resolve them, when they have NO MEANS to resolve them that is pleasing to the customer.

Thanks Sprint, for being a valued, dependable cellular telephone company..one that shows they care about the consumer. One that does things for it's customers that are above and beyond the every-day run-of-the-mill money-grubbing companies ...you're number ONE....THREE!!!

Wizard

C-R-A-P is a bad word?

In my above post, it filtered out the word C-R-A-P as a swear filtered word..but ..do WHAT?

Message was edited by: JonMcR for a laugh

Sprint Employee

Yes sir, the word filters are a bit on the conservative-strict side. I was going to respond with the fact that it depends on which letters you'd put behind those four asterisks (lol). I do understand the changes for the Sprint Premier program have come so quick that it's come as a shock, but unfortunately we sometimes have to make difficult decisions.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

So let me get this straight:  LG and Sprint are business partners, yet some of you are actually defending Sprint?  I'm sorry, but I find it hard to believe that the issues of this magnitude are not rehashed between business partners with someone signing off on it.  I bet Sprint wishes they could get out of the contract with LG right now if it would fix things.  I'm sure it would save a lot of grief.

I'd like to add that if I could get out of this contract, I'd do it right now.  I'm not happy with the phone and the issues with the update, and I feel like I'm paying way too much for these problems.  Where's the integrity?  Should we not get some kind of discount for a month or two while LG and Sprint figure this out?  I'd stay a customer and endure the painful wait if they waived 2 months of payments, if not more.         

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat