cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

Wizard

Re: Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

It's not just those changes, RC, it's the other changes mixed with that...the ability to purchase your upgrade eligibility is gone? I mean, WTH??? You want to give somoene money, like $20/month for the remaining months left in your current contract, in order to take advantage of a new device offering...? That's like Sprint saying "Sorry, we don't want your money, and why would we want you to sign up for even longer than you've already signed up for on your current contract?"

I'm sure Sprint doesn't see it that way, they have other varying factors that play on their reasoning..but that's how it appears, and how it is..they don't want our money, and they don't want to extend our contract and keep us as customers any longer than we're currently signed up for.

Most people here haven't exchanged and gone to the optimus from a piece of junk, like I did..but the Sammy Instinct HD was a NIGHTMARE of a phone. And I had to stick with it for a year...which was last October. Then a year later, I get a phone that works fine until it gets an update..so going on over a year now, I've had phones that didn't work right and didn't allow me to do what I"m paying for on my bill.

I really should be more angry than what I am..I really do have a right to call and cancel every single thing that I have with Sprint's name on it..Considering my first year of service that I had Sprint, I never used over 60 minutes per month, and paid dearly for it...then another year or two later, I get stuck with that Instinct HD that DON'T WORK.. Then I finally get rid of it, and get ANOTHER phone that don't work...

But like I told the lady a few minutes ago...My Optimus S is GOING to work properly. And it has been for the past two weeks. I can honestly say that my phone is more dependable now than it has been since January when I got it new...because of what I did to it. Don't ask.

RC1024 wrote:

Yes sir, the word filters are a bit on the conservative-strict side. I was going to respond with the fact that it depends on which letters you'd put behind those four asterisks (lol). I do understand the changes for the Sprint Premier program have come so quick that it's come as a shock, but unfortunately we sometimes have to make difficult decisions.

Sprint Employee

I know what you did, and there's nothing wrong with that, it's your phone. I've been working Tech support almost since I started here, and did not know we had made available an option to buy out your contract to get an early upgrade, it's entirely possible that it was an exception to our SOP. I did want to mention that our device people were able to arrange to have the last software version LS670ZVD posted on our website for all to enjoy. I'm sorry for the trouble you've had and the frustration that you'd endured, but I enjoy your posts, and hope to see you around.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Last night I went to the Sprint store to have my phone reverted back to the old operating system 2.2.2. When she brought it out I tested it by adding a new contact, it worked! I was so happy and assured that this had fixed my phone, my feelings towards Sprint were much more possitive. When I got home I was attempting to set up my phone, but I couldn't set up my gmail account because it was showing I had no data. I went into the Sprint Zone and the voice was working but not data, I played around a bit and did a 3G diagnostic and got my data working. Started setting up my phone, noticed the calendar information from before upgrade was in my phone, was happy about that. I tried to assign my husband a private ringtone but it didn't work (issue I had after recent corrupt upgrade to 2.3.3). I decided that if that was all that was wrong, I could live with it. Woke up this morning and checked my phone, it was on! I decided to save the Sprint store number in my phone. It did not work! I decided to try something. I went to import contacts and choose the one that was saved yesterday, it said I had 167 contacts, whereas in my phone it said 156. I watched it load and saw all the numbers I had tried to save unsuccessfully, but after loading it still was showing only 156 in my phoneSmiley Sad Same problem I had after recent corrupt upgrade. Seems like all these fixes are not fixing the problem, at least not permenantly.

Journeyman

What happen if we roll back to 2.2.2 and then a corrected version of 2.2.3 comes out? 

Journeyman

My wife and I both have Optimus S phones.. I did not install the 2.3 gingerbread update (I never install the latest verison of any kind of software right away for that matter) and I am so glad I didn't.

My wife however installed it when it first came out and had all of the issues mentioned in this thread. What a joke! WOW. Her phone was hardly usable...  I had to charge her battery in my phone and then swap it ouf for hers because she could not even charge her phone with the LG wall charger!

Last night I noticed the new Froyo 2.2 zip file available for download on Sprints site for the Optimus S. I installed it on her phone for her and shes back in business.

A factory reset was required so she will have to reinstall all her stuff but I did backup her contacts first and was able to restore those for her.

For anyone still having these issues I strongly recommend installing the Froyo 2.2 software instead of this travesty 'update' 2.3 Gingerbread.

Journeyman

Good news and bad news. The good news, Sprint reset my phone to the previous software and it works just as good as it did before the update. No bugs.  The bad news, they erased my SD card

After the gentleman told me what they were going to do I specifically said "left me take the SD card out so it doesn't get erased" and he said "that won't happen, your SD card won't be affected, only your phone will and you will just have to reload your apps". SHAME on me for not going with my gut and taking out the SD card becuase now all of my pics are gone.

Journeyman

Changes to existing programs in preparation for selling the "Jesus-Phone" (aka, iPhone) is just one issue.  This ordeal that Optimus phone owners have had to endure is a complete failure of Sprint customer service.  We had an upgrade forced upon us that broke our phones.  There was absolutely no consistency in the response from Sprint.  I personally got three different responses from three different people (in-store, phone, and online), none of them offering any kind of solution for the problem.  The only part of the response that WAS consistent was that a new update was coming that would fix the issues, but no indication of a date, just that we would have to wait.  That is NOT an acceptable solution when people are unable to use their phones.

I also requested that I be allowed to switch to a different phone.  At the time, I was only a couple days past the 30-day guarantee, but all the Sprint rep could do was hide behind policy.  Do you really think taking a hard-line approach when my phone was broken due to no fault of my own is the way to endear yourself to a new customer?  It's a pathetic excuse for customer service, and nothing else.

Today I finally found the page containing the Froyo software for the Optimus S.  After about 2 hours of my own time, I have a working phone again.  Oddly enough, I was told this exact step wasn't possible by the Sprint store rep a couple of weeks ago.  Again, no consistency in the message from Sprint.  Also sad that I had to go searching for this, instead of receiving an email from Sprint (certainly you know who your Optimus S users are, and have the ability to contact us via e-mail) letting me know of this solution.  For crying out loud, we all should have been contacted directly the moment it was apparent there was a problem with the upgrade!  Instead, nothing but silence.  And it seems silence will be the norm in hopes that most people discover the fix on their own, or cancel their accounts (with or without an ETF) and go to another provider.

This is unacceptable behavior from a company who likes to constantly remind me of their J.D. Power rankings.  It shows a complete failure of customer service from beginning to end.  I still wonder how (or if) Sprint is planning to compensate their customers who have been without a working or reliable phone for these several weeks.  I have paid my bill (my first one, and a rather LARGE bill at that), but I've been without a reliable phone for approxiamately a month.  I've had to provide my own support, seek out my own solutions, while Sprint has remained silent.  Is a class-action lawsuit really going to be our only recourse, or is Sprint going to make this right?

I suggest making it right, or you won't have me for a customer for very long.

Journeyman

"I finally found the page containing the Froyo software for the Optimus  S.  After about 2 hours of my own time, I have a working phone again.   Oddly enough, I was told this exact step wasn't possible by the Sprint  store rep a couple of weeks ago.  Again, no consistency in the message  from Sprint.  Also sad that I had to go searching for this, instead of  receiving an email from Sprint (certainly you know who your Optimus S  users are, and have the ability to contact us via e-mail) letting me  know of this solution.  For crying out loud, we all should have been  contacted directly the moment it was apparent there was a problem with  the upgrade!  Instead, nothing but silence.  And it seems silence will  be the norm in hopes that most people discover the fix on their own, or  cancel their accounts (with or without an ETF) and go to another  provider."

I agree 100% with this. I cannot for the life of me figure out why Sprint was not more pro-active in this situation.

What about all the customers who have no idea what the heck Froyo or Gingerbread is and don't go hunting for information in online forums?

Master

RoboFu wrote:

Today I finally found the page containing the Froyo software for the Optimus S.  After about 2 hours of my own time, I have a working phone again.  Oddly enough, I was told this exact step wasn't possible by the Sprint store rep a couple of weeks ago.  Again, no consistency in the message from Sprint.  Also sad that I had to go searching for this, instead of receiving an email from Sprint (certainly you know who your Optimus S users are, and have the ability to contact us via e-mail) letting me know of this solution.  For crying out loud, we all should have been contacted directly the moment it was apparent there was a problem with the upgrade!  Instead, nothing but silence.  And it seems silence will be the norm in hopes that most people discover the fix on their own, or cancel their accounts (with or without an ETF) and go to another provider.

Originally there was no way to go from Gingerbread to Froyo, so there is consistency. The Froyo downgrade pathway was created by LG at the request of Sprint specifically because of all of the issues with the OTA upgrade.

I would hardly call all of the posts in the Community and the internal documentation available for Employees if we simply look, "silence". There is a ton of information for employees internally regarding the upgrade and issues related to it, and almost all of that information has been shared with the Community in the threads here in response. The downgrade files and instructions were even uploaded to the regular sprint.com/downloads website instead of ONLY being released to the service and repair locations.

All of the information regarding issues with the update has been shared with the Community You just need to look for it in one of the many threads regarding it.

Journeyman

I think the major complaint here though is: why should paying  customers have to go hunting online for a solution to a problem that was  caused by an update that was pushed to our phones?

My wife, my parents ... all they know is their phones  suddenly dont charge anymore and they are getting SD card unmounted  messages all the time. They have no idea what a Froyo downgrade zip file is. To them ITS A PHONE.

They should have gotten a call from Sprint or an email  or something HELPING THEM OUT. Let them know Sprint is aware of the  problem, that it was caused by the recent update and give them a timeline to a fix ... keep them in the loop.

Letting them fend for themselves and hoping they find a post in an online forum is really not enough.

Journeyman

Respectfully disagree, halcyoncommander.  Sprint had an opportunity to be pro-active in this situation.  Instead they chose to be reactive, and very poorly at that.  And I would add that expecting a run-of-the-mill customer to locate and navigate discussion forums to find support is not an ideal scenario, particularly in the case of this particular thread, which has grown to hundreds of messages with conflicting information.  By expecting a customer to do that, you make several assumptions about the customer base, including access to a computer with Internet.  Is that now a prerequisite for owning a smart-phone?  Sprint still has customers that pay bills exclusively in-store or by mail, do they not?  You do not have to hook the Optimus up to a computer to activate it, do you?  Many people who buy Android phones will have computers, but this is not simply the pervue of the geeks and technophiles anymore.  Android is increasingly marketed to the masses, and sold wholesale to consumers in Sprint stores, without any qualifications to the consumers technical abilities.

I reiterate that this upgrade was forced upon the users.  I know when Gingerbread was pushed to my phone overnight, the only menu option I had was to reboot to complete the update.  I was not asked.  Granted in my case I would have likely accepted the upgrade were it an option, but then again I wouldn't expect Sprint to push out software that caused my phone to repeatedly reboot, become unable to charge, disconnect Bluetooth devices, unmount the SD card at random, or the myriad of other issues people reported.  This is not beta software.  This is a mass-market, strongly advertised mobile OS, and customers have a right to expect a certain level of functionality and reliability from it, especially when the gateway to entry most often includes a long-term commitment to a contract, or a high dollar amount to purchase outright.

Sprint has to show their customers that they value their business.  They do not do that by delivering inconsistent messages, addressing major issues reactively, or expecting customers to wait for an update when their phones are inoperable in some cases.  And the message was inconsistent.  I am not the only person complaining of this fact.  Look back through the responses other customers were getting from various official Sprint sources.  Some got their phones replaced, some were told they would have to pay full price for the replacement, some were told their only option was to wait.  That is not consistency.  That is poor communication of a valid problem on the corporate level.

I am still going to hope that Sprint makes this right with me and the rest of their LG Optimus customers.  I understand glitches.  I understand that technology isn't always perfect or predictable.  I do not understand a company that will not come correct in order to maintain their relationships with their customers.  It is unrealistic to expect customers to pay for non-service, and that is exactly what a lot of us have had, and are still having to do.

Journeyman

I did receive an email from Sprint when they had the Froyo patch available, so maybe it's a matter of checking your email settings with them? It was also easy enough to figure out that all my problems started after the upgrade. I figured I probably wasn't the only one having issues, so I waited a few days to see if there would be a "fix" coming. After several days I came to the Sprint site to see what others were saying, and while I'm very disappointing that it's taking so long to fix these problems and I'm puzzled how such a bad upgrade went through in the first place, I don't think taking out my frustrations on any individual Sprint employee is going to solve anything. I am a Sprint customer because I have had good experiences in the past. It's an annoying situation and I will probably be more leery of LG phones in the future, but this is not the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Other companies will have problems with other phones too, I'm sure.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat