cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

In response to some of your points, tjnntmom, I don't think I'm taking out frustrations on Sprint employees.  I'm not being abusive, and I'm not making personal attacks.  I am, however, demanding that Sprint do the right thing.  I don't think it's too much to expect that when I pay a company for a service, that the service work as advertised.  And when that service cannot be provided in a reliable manner, accomodations to the customer need to be made.  I am a new Sprint customer, as previously stated, so unlike you I don't have a history of experiences with them, good or bad.  My entire experience so far with Sprint has been a month of good service, a month of unreliable service, and a customer service experience that in no way resembles the world-class experience that Sprint advertises.

I will say again that this entire issue was avoidable.  All Sprint had to do was to acknowledge the issue when it originally happened, communicate that to their customers, and make sure that all of their support channels were on the same page as far as customer options.  I don't think that is in any way unreasonable.  For the record, my contact details are all correct, and I did not receive the e-mail that you mentioned.  Yet another breakdown in the communication process.

I am not asking Sprint to kiss my backside, and I'm not asking them for anything unrealistic.  To me, it would have been realistic for them to allow me to switch phones when I asked to do so.  I didn't ask them to give me their most expensive phone for free.  I just asked that they allow me to purchase a different phone at the price offered to customers getting new contracts (I was not willing to accept a refurbished Optimus S since the phone was nearly brand new at the time).  At present, since they finally made the 2.2 version available, I think it is realistic for them to credit a partial month for the three weeks of unreliable service.  To me it seems like a small thing that would go a long way with customers.  It certainly would with me.

I am appreciative of the help received here, from Sprint employees and other Optimus users.  But that has nothing to do with the fact that I just got my phone working today, and it comes after dealing with more hassle, miscommunication, and just plain bad customer service than any paying customer should have to deal with.

Wizard

Sprint doesn't want to take any of blame for this, and I know it's  not Sprint's fault..it was LG's fault..but Sprint can push the liability  for losing customers, switching phones and contract ETF's onto LG to  pay as being the fault of LG causing them due harm to their business....

Sprint likely wants to claim as much as they can from LG in  liability, then do as little as possible for the customer (or as in my  case...after ONE HOUR on the phone, I get FLAT REFUSED to be given a  different phone.. After I explicity told the rep that I DID NOT WANT all  Optimus S phones on my account, and that I currently have THREE OPTIMUS  S PHONES.

Why is giving me ONE phone that isn't Optimus S such a  hard thing for Sprint to swallow? Is it really worth losing so many  customers over being a bit stingy and not accepting something that  you're customers and you all at Sprint Corp know that is your place to  fix the wrong and make it right..

We as customers don't have the option to contact LG and demand a different phone, or a upgrade..

And it's saying alot when you call up Sprint, you try to offer them MONEY FOR THE UPGRADED PHONE, PLUS ANOTHER TWO YEARS..

It's  not like we would be walking away from getting an upgraded phone  smelling like a rose...we would be signing on for additional months of  service with Sprint, additional revenue going to them for a longer  period than we currently have, all of this because WE want a different  phone. I wanted to pay Sprint $30 bucks for the Nexus S, plus extend my  contract, thereby giving them money for even LONGER, and I'm currently  eligible for the one year upgrade ANYWAY. Why is another YEAR so much to  ask? I'm already contracted for the remaining year, so what's extending  the contract going to do besides insure Sprint has more money flowing  in for a longer time-frame.

I'm pretty technical with Android  phones, and instead of becoming irrational and irate with the  representative that I spoke with, I simply told her that i WOULD make my  phone work...And that even though Sprint didn't want to help me, I  would help myself and fix it on my own. Too bad everyone doesn't have  that option and people could've fixed their phoens without any hassle,  but it's not the customers place to insure the device doesn't take  upgrades and suddenly quit working.

Kudos to Sprint, and I hope  some corporate bigwig reads this, especially my earlier post...I'd  really like for someone important to read that and respond to it, and  tell me why it appears that greed and ignoring the customer's request  ..especially simple requests like mine, where I didn't want the most  expensive phone they have, or the nicest phone in the line-up..I just  wanted a Nexus S, which is adequate and similar in size and speed to the  Optimus S phone..and hey, let me even PAY you $30 bucks for it too, on  top of extending my contract some more...

But no..I doubt a corp reads this..proving even more that nobody  important enough to do something about it cares to browse the site and  see what their customers are saying. THIS kind of stuff is turning the  tables on MANY people and their choice of sticking with a cell phone  provider. I know it's weighing HEAVILY on my decision in a couple of  years of what I'll do.  Keep that in mind, Sprint, you have to  CONSTANTLY keep your customers happy, that's why we pay you. And we all  have the freedom to choose, and the number of people choosing you is  going to dwindle away if you don't start doing things that your  customers demand, the way to punish a company that doesn't do things for  it's customers is by not being a customer of that company. So everyone  will be punishing Sprint with their wallet, and Sprint WILL feel it.

Journeyman

I have also had issues with no voice or data connection. It is very frustrating when you pay for a service that you can't use. Sorry, but I'm not going to follow the 1000-step instructions on how to go back to the old version myself. I'm just going to Sprint tomorrow and they can do it for me. This is very frustrating because I don't have a home phone and no other phones in my home... so if I have an emergency I am SOL.

Journeyman

My wife and I as well installed this really BAD update and when we went to the Sprint store they told me they could not downgrade my phone, so instead (thank God for Insurance) they had to replace my two phones with new ones! My problems where extensive: 1) Could not charge the phone via USB or Wall charger. 2) Was no longer able to access the SD Card via USB to PC. 3) The keyboard no longer had the smiley. 4) Notification Icons were extremely tiny (and when you're 40 and over, this sux!). I'm glad I had insurance, I feel bad for those who didn't and had to buy a new phone because the testing team (if there is one) for Sprint, dropped the ball

Journeyman

I think this is the problem with how Sprint has handled the LG Optimus S update. All employees are like halcyoncmdr123 and RC0124 and have the same response. "It's not our fault", or "we even allow you to download the fix to your phone yourself instead of making you go to the repair center!", etc etc. Even if it is LG's fault and not Sprint's, we are your customers first so this is when you say, "We screwed up and we apologize" and THEN you say "this is what we are going to do to make it up to you". Not "here are some workarounds" or "look we posted the fix online" but all the suggestions RoboFu posted above are reasonable.

When I first had this issue (and still do) I went the next day to the Sprint repair store who said "sorry we can't do anything about it"--that's all they said. I also emailed customer service 3 times over the next 2 weeks, but not once did they mention I could download the update. Fortunately not all people have had this problem, but if I hadn't checked online for this problem, then I would have been signing a new contract with someone else because Sprint was not offering me any solutions.

Basically in my opinion with a gaff this big, you don't just provide workarounds, but you not only fix the problem but then go beyond that and do something to make it up to your customers. I think one appropriate and simple response would have been to email or text all customers with an Optimus S and say, "we have had problems with the udpate, if you had this problem go to our Sprint website, please download the update to revert to 2.2 or use these workarounds, and we are sorry and will provide 1 months service credit for your trouble"

Journeyman

Just to add a couple of things.  Their "final solution" the Gingerbread down-date is to tell us to fix it for them.  We have to download a file (which they could have easily patched into our phones at their stores).  Their server is so slow, it takes 45 minutes to d/l the update to the down-date.  Then we have to load the software (I can do it, but I'll bet most consumers can't) and hope it doesn't brick our phones.  It's like a car dealer punching a hole in your tire, then telling you to go out and find a repair kit and repair the tire yourself!  Shame on LG for pushing this update, and shame on Sprint for mishandling the problems. At least AT&T and Apple came up with a quick solution to their antenna problem instead of dumping it on their customers. 

Journeyman

i am not having any issues i recently traded my evo shift for the optimus it had froyo i applied a gingerbread update.zip file i found online to my phone it booted up successfully to gingerbread and ive only noticed minor issues that i can deal with the loudness is ok i know my previous optimus v was really quiet which i hated so the loudness dont bother me one thing ive noticed is when listening to music thru headphones it dont switch to the headphones like my evo shift when someone calls but thats no big problem it charges on the wall and on the computer no problems love it the ui and everything

maybe yall should apply the update.zip gingerbread file ive downloaded ive applied it to two phones and each phone has no issues send me a message if you want the link to the site i got it from and maybe that will help REMEMBER wipe your phone after you flash it always wipe, wipe, wipe do it three times if you have to then log into your google acct all your contacts should be there so you will have to remember your login for that

here is the link http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/118973-zvh-over-air-update-zip.html

Wizard

That's no different than accepting the update that was set to your phone. OTA is Over-The-Air, someone just took that update.zip off of their SDcard and uploaded it to androidcentral ..you could've easily had the same troubles, but some phones did, and some phones didn't. I'm not sure if it's clear why some phones did/didn't have problems...haven't heard.

Journeyman

I finally completed the updating LG zip and went through the whole reset process and it has helped. I feel like Sprint is the absolute worse!!!! I went round and round with customer service, the store, and I was even willing to pay the deductible for a new phone (even though I've only had the phone since July and I'm still under a year). The reps refused to help or transfer me and the phone the store basically gave me a charge --- WTH!!!   Ugggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Journeyman

Sprint: Please tell us when you expect the new and improved Gingerbread for Optimus. I am getting tired of removing the battery, and I would like to have my whole phone back. Thanks.

Journeyman

FoneUzr,

If you haven't reverted back there's a post here that has instructions on how to revert the software back to previous version so you no longer have to deal with all of the issues from the latest software update or you can also take it into a Sprint service and repair store.

Journeyman

i keep on getting failed when i try to do it.. i guess i can't figure out where to put the darn file

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat