cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

Journeyman

I too am having SD card unmount problems. I had no issues with SD card unmount before upgrading to gingerbread, and actually while I had gingerbread I didn't have any SD card unmount problems. I only got these problems after I downgraded back to Froyo.

Still, the fact I can charge my phone again, I'm happy enough with 2.2. Just waiting for them to fix all the issues and do something to compensate their customers.

Journeyman

1badtk I am talking about the AC adapter (wall charger).

Wizard

halcyoncmdr123 wrote:

DrS747 wrote:

Pickupthepieces FYI and all others on this site I spoke with a representative in Huntsville Alabama at LG this morning (1-800-793-8896.) LG had nothing to due with this update or the repair and use of this update according to "Jake" and he was baffled, but aware of such accusations as to them working on the repair. This is a Sprint issue that is not being addressed.

That LG rep doesn't know what he was talking about, as most frontline reps at any company. They are there to answer basic questions (which 99% of calls in are for basic things) and anything more complex they won't have a real answer to, they simply try to find stuff i ntheir database and come up with stuff based on what they find. The frontline person will have no idea what the coding team does or probably even where they are located. On the other hand, I am a tech at a corporate store who talks to the software team through internal Sprint forums regularly about issues and can ask these kinds of questions so I can help my custoemrs better. Does everyone do what I do and go the extra mile? No, because they aren't required to. But I try and find the answers because I am just as curious about it. The software updates for Sprint devices are primarily coded by the manufacturer, then sent to Sprint for further testing and adding things like Sprint Zone, etc. into the image for our customers, and it goes back and forth until a stable software build is finalized. Sprint does not code the software and drivers directly for all of the devices we sell.

Anyone who's looked into Android and knows anything about how Android works (being an operating system designed by Google) knows that you're telling the truth, but most people here just want someone to crucify, and Sprint seems like the candidate for that since it sounds good to say that it's Sprint's fault..Probably half of the people don't want to know who coded the Gingerbread update, they just want to be able to say that Sprint caused this mess and LG had no dealings with it, which I've already stated earlier wasn't true..Google doesn't give ANYONE permission to create versions of their software, including carriers or individuals. I quit trying to explain this and discuss how things work because people don't want to believe that. It sounds so much more dynamic to push all of the blame off on the carrier, even though the Optimus line on Verizon, AT&T and T-mo had issues with Gingerbread as well as other devices that got Gingerbread recently..not just Sprint with the Optimus S update. I've moved away from forum-checking daily and trying to help, because I'm not going to buckle and give people the scapegoat they want by saying this was totally Sprint's fault. I still get email updates when people post, but I can't pull myself away from my PS3 and Battlefield 3 long enough to say too much, because people aren't going to read and come to the conclusions even with concrete evidence supporting the facts...

Journeyman

At this point, it's not so much an issue as to who created the update. The fact of the matter is Sprint provided the update. Unfortunately the update didn't mesh with this particular phones and they are doing nothing to rectify the problem. If they are going to provide the update to the phones, they need to be prepared for issues. A friend of mine has Verizon and this update crashed her Droid X...Verizon replaced the phone immediately, did not give their customers the run around, nor did they make their customers do all kinds of "work arounds" prior to finally cooperating. This is POOR customer service on Sprint's part. It took me over a month to get my phone replaced, and the replacement phone has nothing but issues. They refuse to replace the phone they provided to me as a replacement, so I am stuck with a half functional phone. Forget the fact that the $10/month "premium data" charge is a load of horse crap anyway, but now I am paying $120 for the next year until I can get an upgrade, on a phone that hardly gets a data connection anymore. Before this upgrade I had foolishly purchased this phone at full price because I wanted an android phone, so my phone was only a couple months old prior to all these problems. I think Sprint is going to find themselves with alot of customers that won't be renewing their contracts comes time, and they will only have their selves to blame.

Journeyman

THIS THREAD HAS RECEIVED 55,000 VIEWS SO FAR! Does that give you some idea of how widespread this problem is?

Again, I urge you all to contact your local newspapers--I would suggest asking for their business reporter (since this is a great example of how NOT to do business when your company is faltering and your stock has lost half its value).  They will probably shrug off the first caller.  But the second or third one will grab their attention.  Also, give the reporter the URL (copy it from your browser window) for this thread so they can read for themselves just how badly Sprint has treated us. 

I have a reporter from Delaware's largest newspaper interested in this, and I am working on a couple more I know from out of state.  My hope is that eventually Sprint will make good on its contract to provide full service to in return for our obligation to pay them for 24 months. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Insted of then just pushing the dam update down peoples mouths make it a simple would you like to update if you say no then stop asking.

Wizard

That sounds nice, but they have to have everyone on the same OS when they provide support. LG wants this phone to have the most recent up & coming software because it will keep on selling if it has Gingerbread on it...it's about the numbers. Sprint doesn't care if the phone keeps on selling, they'll sign another contract and pay subsidy's for a newer phone if the Optimus stops selling, but LG wants the phone to keep on going as long as it can, because that brings them revenue..

So the "LG doesn't know about it" argument is old and played..LG knows full well what's going on with their devices, they are working with Google to keep this phone up-to-date.

zach46532 wrote:

Insted of then just pushing the dam update down peoples mouths make it a simple would you like to update if you say no then stop asking.

Journeyman

Since the upgrade I have not been able to fully charge my phone as well.  I have until Dec 1 for an phone upgrade.  When Dec 1 comes rolling around I am upgrading to another phone and that will be an iPhone 4S.  Something more reliable....

Journeyman JCZ
Journeyman

What are you going to do with the LG Optimus?

Journeyman

I have 4 LG Optimus S phones, I was having the same problem with all 4 phones not charging. Apparently the Android 3.3 (Gingerbread) update has a bug and is causing the issue. The only way I have found to fix it is to go back to Android 2.2 (Froyo). Follow the instructions on this website http://shop2.sprint.com/en/software_downloads/pda_smartphone/lg_optimus_s.shtml. it has fixed the charging issue on all 4 of my phones.

Journeyman

Is anybody else having problems with the phone shutting down, after the roll back to 2.2 froyo, when pluged into  a car or home/wall charger? My original and the sent replacement are doing this. Sprint please take note how many loyal customers do you want to go to other carriers. Realy what an insult to offer outdated crap phones as a replacement ie.. the moment!

Journeyman

- No access to data services (indicated by the lack of a 1X or 3G next to the Signal Indicator).

Workaround: From the dial pad, type ##72786# (##SCRTN#) and the device's   MSL. The device will power cycle and

perform a hands free activation which will resolve the issue.  Note: If you do not know your MSL, contact

Sprint Customer Service at 888-211-4727 for assistance.

So I called sprint and got my MSL code for my LG Optimus S, and I did EVERYTHING that was asked from above, yet still no luck. I have gone to 2, count em, TWO sprint stores. Both stores udated the PRL the Profile EVERYTHING, they even reverted it back to the version before the update, and yet my phone is still not receving service, still no 3g/1x anything. I have also called Sprint custmer care and still nothing. Now, I know that someone will say "Try this" or "Try that" well I am here to say that I have tried EVERYTHING, rebooting the phone, master reset, 2 sprint stores, custmer service, and what was said about the workaround, yet none of this has worked. Is there ANYTHING someone can do to fix this other then tell me I need to pay $35 bucks to get it repaird and all this BS. Can some one please help???

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat