cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

Journeyman

It has now been two months since the Gingerbread update was pushed out to Optimus S phones and caused problems on many of them. The problems vary from inconvenient to severe and Sprint has acknowledged many of the problems. When will Sprint provide an ETA for the new / fixed update?

Master

That will depend on  h ow long it takes LG to rewrite the gingerbread update and release it.   Hopefully after we get a chance to test it prior to release

Journeyman

Two months and counting with two phones that barely work.  One has to be tethered to a power source all the time.  The other one has just been abandoned all together.  Sprint doesn't quit sending the bills though...they should let their billing department take over R&D.

Journeyman

If you are a Sprint/Optimus customer still suffering these issues, the best advice I can give you is to e-mail dan@sprint.com.  That will put you in touch with someone who is your only hope of providing any assistance.  Sprint does not empower their support reps to do anything but regurgitate scripted call responses.  Even after I was offered a resolution by contacting the above address, it still was not satisfactory, but it was the only thing I could manage to get from this company that obviously does not value its customers.  Depending on your time in contract and your persistence, your results will probably vary.

For the record, what I asked for was a credit for one month's service and the ability to upgrade my phone without extension of my contract.  Given that my phone worked intermittently for over a month, and that I had only been a customer for two months, I did not think this was unreasonable.  What I received was an upgrade credit that would only be honored if I extended my contract.  Sprint said there had been activity on the phone during the time I indicated I was having a problem, so they would not issue a service credit.  Of course there was activity on the phone.  Whenever it wasn't rebooting, dropping connectivity, or locking up, the phone was active.

I did not intend to use the upgrade credit, preferring to run out my contract and switch carriers. However about a week after Sprint offered their "resolution", my Optimus became such a headache I had no choice.  So I used my credit through Amazon Wireless (which has much better pricing, btw) to get an HTC EVO 4G.  So far, after updating the firmware to Android 2.3.4, I have experienced no issues.  Considering the EVO 4G is coming to the end of its life, how hard would it have been for Sprint to offer to replace broken LG Optimus phones with this model?  It certainly would have avoided a lot of unhappy customers who will not re-up with Sprint when their contracts end.

Out of everything that has happened during this mess, one thing that continues to really get me is the lies.  I had representatives from Sprint tell me that LG was responsible for pushing the flawed update, and representatives from LG tell me that Sprint had pushed this update on their own.  The LG rep went so far as to tell me they hadn't even developed a Gingerbread update for the Optimus, and that they didn't know there were issues until after it happened.  Someone is not telling the truth, and regardless of who it is, it just reinforces the fact that customers mean squat.  If you can lie to a customer to cover your backside, then you don't respect them. 

Barring a spectacular reversal of attitude, I will not be a Sprint customer at the end of my contract, and I will never purchase another LG phone.  You shouldn't have to beg a company to do the right thing.

Journeyman

My wifes LG Optimus S is almost to the point of being unusable. 

Even after a factory reset it still randomly stops recoginizing the SD card, random dialing and ringing, freezing, etc....

Complete and total bs.  Her phone along with my EVO 4G issues make are making me hate Sprint with a passion.  My EVO has issues with memory leaks and sd card not being recognized randomly. 

Maybe the Andrioid OS is just a total POS because every manufacturer and carrier is trying to screw with it by adding skins, forced apps, bs functionality, etc.....

Of course Sprint will point to LG/HTC and the phone manufacturers point back at Sprint.   Its pathetic really and only costing Sprint money cause I have 2 lines that are dumbphones and will never be upgraded because of this. 

Patron

Re: Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

Do yourself a favor and flash CyangenMod 7 on the Optimus S.  It's Gingerbread 2.3.3, without the Sprint bloatware and all of the performance...  Here's how...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn0RBcK0R5M

Journeyman

my phone shuts off whenever also won't turn back on w/o taking out the battery and rarley connects to the internet, when it does it's slow-biggest issue it wont charge-i have to charge my batteries wth an external battery charger-the tech blamed it on the update and said it was fixed-it is not fixed-it still will not charge-ive tried several cords -he flat out lied to me there is no way he even checked to see if it was able to charge i have three batteries none charge -sprint is having some serious customer service issues-i have the address for the ceo-dan hesse-i've been wth sprint 15 years but this last year things have gone down hill 31,456 better bussines bureau complaints

Sprint Employee

I'm sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction, have you already reinstalled Android 2.2 as outlined in several threads here? Have you had a store's tech look into this for you?

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

Re: Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

Also agree. My Optimus can't keep the SD card active nor is the USB connectivity active anymore. I would love a credit that would allow me pick up the iPhone and (in case Dan is reading this) pay an extra $10/month for the service to use it!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I also have been impacted by this issue in 2 different LG Optimus S phones on my account.  And I've had to revert to the 2.2 but it only solves some of the issues.  The phone still has a huge problem which simply shuts off for no apparent reason and you have to open it up remove and re-insert the battery!  This is ridiculous on how its been 2months and they can't fix the issue.  I agree with rufustwofus for all this inconvenience and missing of service as phone shuts off etc I would love a credit that can put me on a iPone4S and don't have to charge the 'extra' 10/month for the upgrade...  Been a sprint customer for almost 10yrs and this one of the biggest flaws i've seen and from reading others posts I can't beleive how they don't do something about it to prevent customers from leaving sprint.  I wish top executives would get these forums escalated to see where the real problems are at the bottom...!

Journeyman

Solved:

In my case, I found that a 16 gb SD card, after working fine in Frodo, was the root of the problem after Gingerbread (phone screen would go black with no way to awaken, wouldn't charge etc). I tried all the steps with drivers and what-not, even to the point of reformatting the card with my computer (FAT volume), to no avail. Somehow, even when putting the card in a usb card reader, I could tell it had become damaged. Even the computer could no longer format it at one point. I could make the symptoms on the phone appear and dissapear by inserting or ejecting this card.

I put the factory 2gb card in and things were fine. I rolled back to Frodo just in case, but the symptoms had already gone away in Gingerbread with the removal of the card from the equation.

Also, Sprint tech support was ZERO help on this - I figured all of this out with forums and my own tech skills. They wanted to charge for new batteries, charge for new phones, charge for new adapters etc etc. They knew nothing about the Froyo rollback offering from Sprint (also found that on my own).

It's very dissapointing. Sprint needs to take a page from Apple's tech support philosophy and make sure their support people have access to a knowledge base for what appear to be very widespread problems on this particular device. This is not the first time I've encountered this lack of knowledge with them.

Thank goodness I'm switching to iPhone soon.

Journeyman

I had almost all of these issues people are mentioning, but worst of all, now my phone wont even load. I don't know how to explain it really, but, I turn it on, and it's stuck on the rolling android screen. I've left it sit, but it does that until it dies! i've been without a phone for a week now. Does anyone else have the same problem? or a solution to how in the hell i can get my stupid phone off this stupid android screen? blah, stupid stupid stupid!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat