cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

Journeyman

Re: Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

I also have experienced no issues at all.  Other than the phone is no longer rooted.   But i really did not use the features of being rooted for the most part.  Battery life has been fine.

Journeyman

Since the ZVJ update everything seems to be running fine the only problem i have had is when texting it will type a letter more than once sometimes. Not sure if the screen is more sensitive or what it is i tried it on android keyboard and on swype and same.

Journeyman

Is there anyway to load Android 4.0 on this phone? There has to be a way to wipe the phone clean and install ICS. Also what is the benefit of "rooting" your phone? Ive been looking all over the internet today and can't find a clear cut answer and what exactly does rooting it do?

Journeyman

Not to sound rude but,  if you are unsure of what rooting does or what benefits you would gain from it, you probably don't need it.  Also from what I have read in multiple forums, ICS may not function on the optimus s.

As for the recent  update, it is not perfect. I have some keyboard issue when long pressing a character to see the alternate characters, you have to use two fingers to select an alternate, if you lift original finger the options disappea

There is also an issue with the battery life time keeping ability and time the phone has been on,  neither of them keep the correct time elapsed.  If my phone has been unplugged and "on battery" for 12 hours in the menu it only states 3 or less hours on.

Improved over the original gingerbread update but still has some bugs.

Wizard

Zink88 wrote:

Is there anyway to load Android 4.0 on this phone? There has to be a way to wipe the phone clean and install ICS. Also what is the benefit of "rooting" your phone? Ive been looking all over the internet today and can't find a clear cut answer and what exactly does rooting it do?

I wouldn't recommend installing (or TRYING to install ICS on this phone), there's not even a site that you can download any type of ICS because it's not supported in ANY way on this device. There ARE ZVD roms and even ZVJ roms available, but those are Froyo (ZVD) and Gingerbread (ZVJ)...which are different versions..ZVD - Froyo is 2.2.x Android, and ZVJ - GB 2.3.x. Honeycomb is 3.x.x, and ICS is 4.x...

So support would have to be there for Gingerbread (3.x) THEN support would likely be available for ICS (4.x)...but you can't skip like that because of the drivers in the software..they aren't written the same and your phone won't work at all if you tried to install it. Not to mention the space limitations you would run into trying to do that. Andoird ICS 4.x was designed for more of a tablet-type interface (larger, 4" or more screens)...

And for the second part of your answer...Rooting your phone just gives you the CONTROL to be able to install the custom ROMS. If you don't root, then you can't do that stuff, because the phone has to have ROOT priviledges in order to erase the current ROM and install a new one.

Any further discussion of rooting will require you taking some time to read-up on Android and a bit about Linux (since "Root" is a term that's derivative of linux OS's)...and probably would be against the rules here, likely meaning it would be deleted. I seem to be one of those people who get's their stuff deleted pretty often, but that's because I'm a little too blunt and tell things like they should be told when it comes to people complaining about phones...I've spent enough time on the internet to know who's to blame when software on a phone doesn't work right...and it doesn't take much looking around to figure that part out.

Journeyman

Zink88 wrote:

Zink88:

I am not aware of any properly working ICS firmware for the Optimus S.  ICS is a rather new OS, and there are drivers and other updates necessary to support ICS on a phone.  I'm aware of a few custom ROM's that have done some work to make ICS "work" on the phone, but a lot of stuff is terribly broken.

As for the benefit of rooting--well, rooting means that you take complete access and can run any firmware you want on the phone--it makes your phone like your computer--you can install whatever you want.  If your phone is not rooted, that means you can only run what the carriers provide to you.

The disadvantages of rooting are numerous--You lose the warranty on the phone, you break your contract with Sprint (they can cancel your service, but I've never heard of this happening), and you're potentially no longer running the OS that came with the phone.  This means that the stability and quality of the OS on your phone can vary from very good (Cyanogenmod) to pretty poor--depending on who you get the firmware from and what of a job they did.  Also, since most/all rooted firmwares are not made by the original manufacturer, they often have defects and bugs that would be caught by the manufacturer's QA, and they don't have access to the specs of the device.

In short--don't root unless you know exactly what you're doing--and Sprint won't like it if you do.  Also, there's no good ICS rom for the Optimus S right now, so if you're expecting something good, you will be very disappointed.

Wizard

LOTHSAHN wrote:

Zink88 wrote:

Zink88:

I am not aware of any properly working ICS firmware for the Optimus S.  ICS is a rather new OS, and there are drivers and other updates necessary to support ICS on a phone.  I'm aware of a few custom ROM's that have done some work to make ICS "work" on the phone, but a lot of stuff is terribly broken.

As for the benefit of rooting--well, rooting means that you take complete access and can run any firmware you want on the phone--it makes your phone like your computer--you can install whatever you want.  If your phone is not rooted, that means you can only run what the carriers provide to you.

The disadvantages of rooting are numerous--You lose the warranty on the phone, you break your contract with Sprint (they can cancel your service, but I've never heard of this happening), and you're potentially no longer running the OS that came with the phone.  This means that the stability and quality of the OS on your phone can vary from very good (Cyanogenmod) to pretty poor--depending on who you get the firmware from and what of a job they did.  Also, since most/all rooted firmwares are not made by the original manufacturer, they often have defects and bugs that would be caught by the manufacturer's QA, and they don't have access to the specs of the device.

In short--don't root unless you know exactly what you're doing--and Sprint won't like it if you do.  Also, there's no good ICS rom for the Optimus S right now, so if you're expecting something good, you will be very disappointed.

Isn't there an echo in here...I could've sworn that I just typed most of that just a minute ago.

Journeyman

JonMcR wrote:

LOTHSAHN wrote:

Zink88 wrote:

Zink88:

Isn't there an echo in here...I could've sworn that I just typed most of that just a minute ago.

Yeah--it didn't appear until I submitted!  Oh well

Wizard

oh well...you just elaborated more than I did...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have had trouble with the touchscreen since the update to zvj. Dragging rarely works anymore. It randomly clicks in the middle of dragging, so I select things I did not intend to. Long-presses do not work right either.

Bluetooth is also screwed up. It randomly disconnects from my car, and the car cannot reconnect to it unless I disable and re-enable bluetooth on the phone.

Journeyman

we are having same issues,  hard to scroll in tweetdeck without it seeing a touch/click.  and bluetooth loses connectivity with ford sync

Journeyman

I've seen the same issue with the touchscreen.  It's messed up.  I wrote an app targeted for 2.2 and it still works just fine...except on this phone with the new update.  It's heavily dependant on the touchscreen events and they simply don't work as intended anymore.  I hope they fix it...using the touchscreen is a pretty common use case.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat