cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

Journeyman

DONT BUY THIS PHONE!!   SPRINT WONT STAND BEHIND THIS PRODUCT>>>>MY PHONE STOPPED CHARGING AND I WAS TOLD THE INSURANCE POLICY DOESNT COVER THIS AND I WOULD NEED TO PURCHASE A NEW PHONE>>>CAN YOU SAY VERIZON< ATT?

Journeyman

Jaded

"I was still having problems after a hard reset. I was able to get sprint  to trade my phone for a different android, the Samsung replenish."

How is this OK with you to be downgraded to a non-comparible phone? There is nothing better on the specs on this phone. Sprint has had to replace this phone three times for me, I do not know who is doing their refubs but they need to work on the quality control issues. Not to mention Samsung is notorious for not doing updates. Step in anytime sprint workers and explain to us why SPRINT WILL NOT MAKE IT RIGHT!

Journeyman

Re: Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

On the phone one day with Tech Support...the guy had me download software to my laptop. This was to allow my laptop the capability of charging the battery again (it was removed during the Gingerbread update). He then told me I would have to take my laptop to a Sprint store and someone from the staff would finish the upload....WHAT?! Didn't bother with that...

The next day, I decided to stop by a Sprint store at lunch. Going to the Sprint store was an absolute joke. If I had insurance, there would be no charge. No insurance...you pay for the mistake caused by Google, LG and Sprint...it wasn't my fault! Of course, Sprint didn't take responsibility and blamed it on Google. I went to LG's site and read how to reset my Optimus S phone:

http://www.lgforum.com/forum/boards/software-slash-downloads/sprint-optimus-s-update-information/top...

Unfortunately, everything I had in my previous set up is no longer there (former aps, saved information on Color Note)...but at least my Android 2.2 phone is back. I can see the icons at the top, that hideous background is gone and my battery can charge again using my laptop. I hope with the next upgrade we have the option to select. Personally, I decline...I don't want it. I'll have to reconsider my contract renewal in December. Not please how this was handled by Sprint.

Journeyman

Thank you for taking the initative to file a lawsuit against sprint. They are taking no responsibility in this issue, acting like I/ we caused this issue. I have called their customer service so many times I lost count. They have in no way fixed the problem. I was unable to use my phone for days, they refused to credit the days of non service, made me take the phone to a repair place to be looked at and then feel I should pay the 35.00 fee  the repair center attached to my bill. Sprints customer service is horrible  and after 11+ years as a customer I am taking my business else where.

Wizard

What on earth are you talking about..nobody said anything about filing a lawsuit here..are you reading some hidden posts or seeing something that none of the rest of us can see?

jotero123 wrote:

Thank you for taking the initative to file a lawsuit against sprint. They are taking no responsibility in this issue, acting like I/ we caused this issue. I have called their customer service so many times I lost count. They have in no way fixed the problem. I was unable to use my phone for days, they refused to credit the days of non service, made me take the phone to a repair place to be looked at and then feel I should pay the 35.00 fee  the repair center attached to my bill. Sprints customer service is horrible  and after 11+ years as a customer I am taking my business else where.

Journeyman

Since it is apparent that Sprint has completely absolved themselves of any responsibility in this matter, and would like for it to go away, I suggest we find alternate ways to make sure it doesn't. 

One thing I have started doing, and will continue doing until there is a satisfactory resolution, is to direct a twitter message to @sprintcare (their customer-focused account) every morning.  In my message, which is public, I am asking for an update on how they are planning to compensate their Optimus S customers who have suffered these issues.  You can also direct a message to @sprint, however that seems to be more of a public relations arm that only shouts announcements into the stream.  So far, the only response I received from @sprintcare was that LG was working on a fix.  This is not satisfactory, at least in my view, because it 1) only serves Sprint's desire to disassociate from the issue and shirk their responsibility, and 2) it does not give any timeline for a proper fix.  It also ducks the biggest question: What is Sprint going to do to make this right?  A proper 2.3 upgrade a month later is not enough, in my opinion.

There was mention of a lawsuit on here several weeks ago.  I don't know if Sprint has removed the message, but it has been a topic of conversation, and could still be one avenue of remedying this issue.  Personally I wish Sprint would just do the right thing and try to actually keep us as customers.

Definitely try the Twitter option.  The more voices that get raised, the more likely someone at Sprint who cares (there has to be someone there) will take responsibility and help find a suitable resolution.

Journeyman

I didn't think I had seen a post re: a lawsuit, but when I clicked on the post that jotero123 responded to.....lo and behold, there 'tis! Hmmmmm, think I'll check it out. I'm MORE than a little IRRITATED right now. And I'm too afraid to dock my phone for fear it will do it even more harm. I think I will "down-grade" first.

Journeyman

Thanks for all the info everybody. MY daughter is in college out of town, doesn't drive and it was too much of a hassel, trying to get it fixed all the time. I finally said screw it and updated her to the Samsung Epic 4G (this one better work, i'm tired of getting stepped on)

Journeyman

I did, in fact, post a message suggesting a class action lawsuit, but Sprint took it down.  "Unacceptable content," hahaha.  I did get several responses, however, in the few minutes that the post was up, so I'm guessing that there is a pretty strong sentiment out there.  And I think it is growing as Sprint continues to deny that there is a problem.I am also in contact with media people here--a couple of reporters I know from the Philly area are interested in the story.  Of course, the more people who contact the media, the more likely it is that the story will get out there.  And once it does, it will spread like wildfire, just as the iPhone antenna problem did.  These jokers (Sprint, Apple, LG, etc.) only respond when the national media cover their failures.  They could care less if 100 or 1,000 of us switch to T-Mobile or Verizon.  But if 10,000,000 people see a story about it on CNN, Fox, etc., they will cave in a second. Then they will brag about how quickly they dealt with the problem.  Fact of the matter is that Sprint will be out of business before any of our contracts run out, anyway.  They have committed themselves to financing an LTE network which they can't afford, and their stock is getting close to junk bond levels.  Verizon will probably pick them up in a fire sale this spring, then we'll have a new set of idiots to deal with.  Gotta love it.

Journeyman

Update on my phone...after two visits to Sprint stores, emails, phone calls to customer service, and two attempts to load the old system back, my phone started operating again.  But now, it is rebooting randomly during phone calls.  Fully charged battery, no apps except the Astro file manager (how the heck else are you supposed to find out what's in your SD card, since Sprint doesn't include a viewer in its bloatware package?).  Oh, and the SD card unmounted itself randomly the other day.  This phone is headed very quickly to the junk pile.  BTW, I noticed that the value of an Optimus S has dropped 50% on eBay in the last 3 weeks.  That should tell you what people think of this phone.

Journeyman

Well, I finally got tired of the abuse my Gingerbread-based Optimus S was giving me, so I backed up my apps, went to the LG site for the revert zip file and followed the LG instructions. A short time later my phone was running the Froyo software. It took the rest of the evening to reload my apps, add shortcuts to the appropriate page and set up all the apps to work as I wanted.

So my original phone is mostly back, but...

I can't get the reverted phone to pair with my car using Bluetooth as it once did. With Bluetooth on and the phone discoverable, the phone displays the car ID, but tapping on that ID results in nothing. It appears as if the car cannot see the phone. I tried changing the name of the phone (in case the car was confused by the same phone name), but that did not help.

Has anyone on this post successfully paired their reverted phone to a Bluetooth device? Did that pairing require any special actions on your part? Any ideas about what else I can try?

Thanks

Journeyman

Just had my optimus s lock up last night.  The tech store wanted to do a factory reset and that would have lost all my pic, texts, visual voicemails etc.  They also said I could get a new phone for 35 dollars.  So as of this writing I don;t have a working phone until I figure out what to do.  Sprint caused this issue and now I loist vital info.  Thye are losing me evrey day as a customer.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat