cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

Wizard

ravyn_kahtour,

I'm sending you a private message, for further assistance.

Journeyman

Trying to decide whether to roll back to Froyo or wait for the fix from Sprint/Google/LG.  Can we get some idea of when the fix is due out? 

Sprint Employee

Hello MadDogMikeATL, I would recommend rolling back to Froyo if you are having problems while using Gingerbread. Up to this point a timeline for a rerelease of Gingerbread has not been made available.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

I have also gone to both Sprint's and LG's Facebook pages to voice my frustration with the lack of response. Too many people wasting time complaining in this forum only - you're preaching to the choir here folks. Nothing will be done unless those considering switching to Sprint or getting an LG phone change their minds from what they hear from us.

Journeyman

Re: Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

A post-update bug not mentioned enough is the audio connectivity.  With Froyo, I used standard "IPod-type" stereo headpones with a three conductor plug to hear phone calls, with the phone in my shirt pocket being close enough to talk into the phone's built-in microphone.  Similarly, I could talk hands free in my car with a standard three conductor stereo cable between the phone and my car radio AUX jack, hearing through the car speakers and lying the phone on the console or passenger seat so as to have the phone's built-in mic pick up my voice.  After Gingerbread, music and most other audio was unaffected, but the phone calls themselves could no longer be heard unless I unplugged whatever was in the audio jack.  The solution I've read from others is to switch to four conductor cables and headphones.  This means trading the earbuds in for something like a "telephone operator"-type headset with the attached mic that bends toward the mouth.  For the car, I also would have to buy a special cable that has a mic built into it.  But I shouldn't have to buy additional accessories because of an update pushed by Sprint.  After reading about all the other problems (and seeing it first hand on my wife's phone), our phones have been reverted back to Froyo (one by myself, and one at the local Sprint store).  Of course, all of our apps, which we spent months painstakingly adjusting the preferences, favorites, and settings for, were gone.  I feel that Sprint should at least "throw me a bone" for my trouble.  I guess this is a good arguement for both the OS and the device to be made and perfected by the same company.  I'm sure the ghost of Steve Jobs is laughing at this. 

While I'm in the mood to complain, let me go off topic and just say that I am one of the first customers to start paying that extra data charge that Sprint implemented in the early part of this year.  I was so worried about making sure my latest two year contract with Verizon was complete before I transferred my phone numbers to Sprint, that I was about one or two weeks too late to avoid the new charge.  I think I probably would have saved money by letting Verizon charge me for leaving a little early. 

Message was edited by: DoubleTwister

Journeyman

DoubleTwister wrote:

I shouldn't have to buy additional accessories because of an update pushed by Sprint.

Totally agree.  We bought a product from Sprint with certain advertised functionality.  Sprint pushed an update which diminished the functionality of that product.  Sprint needs to make us whole by restoring this functionality.  Reverting to Froyo is not an attractive option, either, as it wipes out all data an apps.  Sprint needs to roll out a new update ASAP which fixes these issues and doesn't require the wiping out of data / apps.  They can blame LG / Google all they want, but the buttom line is, as a consumer, the buck stops at Sprint since they sold me the product and they pushed out the update.

DoubleTwister wrote:

I guess this is a good arguement for both the OS and the device to be made and perfected by the same company.  I'm sure the ghost of Steve Jobs is laughing at this.

Agree was well.  Had I known that the iPhone was about to be made available on Sprint when I bought my Optimus, I would have held out and waited for it.  One solution I would find acceptable would be if Sprint would take back my Optimus and let me switch to the iPhone.  I would be willing to pay the $99 upgrade price, but not the $648 - $749 that they want now since I just signed a 2-year contact.

Journeyman

yeah i did the froyo downgrade i was having some of the issues and some others with the update i love the ui change but the constant phone shutting off and having to remove the battery to turn it on was gettin to be a pain in my butt and my touch sensitivity was a bit laggy and every time i took it into the store they were like well if you leave the phone with us for a day so we can see this shutdown issue happenig then we can do something im like well i cant leave my phone with you for a day and they wouldnt give me an option to get a new one and they kept wantin me to put froyo back on it im like yeah i dont like froyo but i decided to try puttin froyo on well now phone sucks even more it charges quick like when i was on gb but it drains like four times faster on froyo i got to charge twice a day with minimal usage as with gb i could unplug the phone at 10 am and by 1 in the morning i had 38 percent battery left with pretty heavy usage they need to FIX this UPDATE now quit dinkin around if android devs on the forums can fix most of the problems by tweaking the kernel and make great working fully functional roms why cant sprint lg or google do the same and FIX OUR PHONES hire one them devs to make a fix to send out

Journeyman

I left Sprint because how they handled this issue.  2 phones 160 per month.  I am very glad that I did.  I also will pay the 295 early termination fee. (280 early termination + 15 in fees)  Poor customer service should have it's consequences. 

Journeyman

my optimus is running 2.3 fine,i just have issues with double tapping but im running this fine and its rooted also

Journeyman

IKEYWATSON1976 wrote:

my optimus is running 2.3 fine,i just have issues with double tapping but im running this fine and its rooted also

Don't you just love posts like this?  It's like if 80% of owners of a given car have transmission problems, and you chime in and say, "my transmission is fine!"  Good for you, but what's the point?  It doesn't change the fact that 80% of customers are having problems.

Journeyman

After the update the touch screen on my phone becomes hyperactive.  My phone can be sitting on my desk and will start placing calls, launching applications, etc.  This in addition to the other problems is really becoming annoying.  I think you need to provide us a way to backup our phones and roll them back to the previous version of software.  I am concerned there has not been a fix to these problems its been over two months.  My kids will be traveling home next week and I really need a trust worthy, reliable phone.

Journeyman

We have two LG Optimus phones.  One was sent back to LG because we were past the 90 day warranty.  LG fixed the issue, which was that the phone would be unresponsive to touch, but be working behind the scenes.  The screen was blank but we could hear incoming calls, etc.   We bought another Optimus and this one too is showing the  same issue now and then, where a reboot is the only option.  Not sure if it's due to the update though.  Wouldn't it be nice if the local sprint store could just handle this for you?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat