cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

Highlighted
Journeyman

Add me to the list of people that hate this update.  I have a lot of problems.  All of the problems listed so far in addition to having a problem with the phone connecting to my PC.  I've reinstalled and updated my LG drivers as described in the original post.  Now when I plug my phone it is hit or miss.  Sometimes it connects to my PC and I can enable mass storage mode, while other times it will do nothing.  It's like it has a mind of it's own. 

I'm so despirate I'd consider rooting the phone but since I can't plug it into my PC I can't even root it

Highlighted
Journeyman

My phone "upgraded" on 9/21 and I am having charging problems, locking up problems, SD dismounting problems, volume control problems, etc etc.  My wife's phone, same model, bought on the same day, works fine. 

Regarding some of these "work arounds"

I've noticed that when you turn off the lg and then plug it in it automatically turns back on but it will charge up to 80% if you don't do anything.  Once you log in or push any buttons it will stop charging. 

Removing the SD card and putting it back in or turning off the phone and back on does not really stop the problem, it just keeps mounting and dismouting at will.

Call volume is not adjustable and most volume controls seem to be buggered.

I called sprint and was told, for about 15 minutes that it was my fault that I "upgraded" the phone and that I would need to buy a new one.  What a crock! 

After I demanded to talk to a tech to resolve the problem I was told that, since I had the phone protection, that I "might" be eligible for a "similar" phone.  She was nice and helpful but it seems that sprint management is completely out of the loop.   If I had the money I would short sprint stock, they seem to be run by a bunch of goofballs.

All of these workarounds are weak sauce, Sprint needs to pull its finger out and do something, roll back the OS, offer new phones, inform your Customer service reps of the situation, do something.  Posting these workaround are delaying tactics.

Someone needs to step up and heads should roll.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Exactly. So, at least now I am 100% certain that the Sprint reps I've spoken to are wrong in saying that I coincidentally broke my phone at the exact time of the update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My phone hasn't charged right for over a week. It all happened after update on Phone. Today I woke up to my phone finally showing it was charging. I thought wonderful, they found a fix, Wrong. With in 30 minutes of noticing this, my phone died. Now all it does when I plug it in is turn on, and then immediatelly turn off, Over and over again. I never get a screen I could do anything with. I am so frustrated. On tech chat last night all they kept mentioning was I had a bad charger. I have 3 of them, and they all broke at the same time, right when this update came out. What is sprint going to do to fix this. Funny how when they don't get paid on time, they disconnect service. But when they can't provide us service, what can we do about it? Nothing.

Highlighted
Journeyman

i complained to about these updates that just make things worse,so i went to my sprint store and got a new optimus flashed with zvd.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My battery life has decreased by 80% since installing the update.  I used to be able to use my phone for the full day with no issue (I tend to send 10-20 texts or emails in a day, and ocassional use of date.  15 minutes tops.  10 minutes of phone use.  Battery would last from ~8a to 11p with not problem (it would end around 15%). 

Now my battery is down to 10% by 3 or 4PM with the same usge pattern.  What is happening?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeeah, went to store today.. only answer was hard reset or wait for the fix, really.. i pay you guys 112$ a month for shit 3g service and now my wifi wont work right..  Yeah LG update my ass, what do they care about data? Seems i lose connection when i open a stock or b browser. And evidently this is a new issue with 2.33

Highlighted
Journeyman

They know you didn't do anything to your phone but phone reps are in India and that is what they are told to say to you. They read from a script and work for $10 a day. Even the ones in the US read from a script.

I went into a Sprint store today and the guys immediately knew what I was talking about. They apparently received an email from Sprint Corporate about it and he told me that they should have a fix for these issues very soon. I asked how soon and he said within a week.

What I want to know is why didn't they test the update more thoroughly? These are the kinds of things which got Sprint into trouble a few years back and they hired Hesse as CEO to fix them. In fact, they had come a long way in terms of customer service from where they were 2-3 years ago until now. Hopefully this is a single glitch. I have not heard anyone complain about updates to other phones. The EVO and Photon runs 2.3.4 and the Optimus runs 2.3.3 which is apparently buggy. It may also be that 2.3.3 is the only version that will run on the Optimus.

I'll give them until the end of next week to get this fixed and then I am gone. I'll just pay the ETF if I have to, but I will call their customer service first.

Highlighted
Journeyman

- Predictive text with the Android keyboard is not working

Workaround: use the Swype keyboard which will still show predictive text if selected in the settings menu.

1. To switch to the Swype keyboard:

Go to Home>Menu>Settings>Language&Keyboard>Select Input Method>Swype.

2. To ensure word prediction is enabled when using the Swype keyboard

Go to Home>Menu>Settings>Language&Keyboard>Swype> and ensure "Word Prediction" is selected. 

The predictive text we had BEFORE the so-called upgrade would appear below the text, with the most likely word in bold. It was accurate, it was fast and it was MUCH better than my iPhone.  I've now tried Swype - YUCK.  The suggested words now block out the text I'm typing. Can't ignore them anymore.

If the full English language predictive text dictionary is in Swype, why can't it be there for the Android keyboard?

WHY COULDN"T THEY LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE?

Highlighted
Master

80gs850 wrote:

- Predictive text with the Android keyboard is not working

Workaround: use the Swype keyboard which will still show predictive text if selected in the settings menu.

1. To switch to the Swype keyboard:

Go to Home>Menu>Settings>Language&Keyboard>Select Input Method>Swype.

2. To ensure word prediction is enabled when using the Swype keyboard

Go to Home>Menu>Settings>Language&Keyboard>Swype> and ensure "Word Prediction" is selected. 

The predictive text we had BEFORE the so-called upgrade would appear below the text, with the most likely word in bold. It was accurate, it was fast and it was MUCH better than my iPhone.  I've now tried Swype - YUCK.  The suggested words now block out the text I'm typing. Can't ignore them anymore.

If the full English language predictive text dictionary is in Swype, why can't it be there for the Android keyboard?

WHY COULDN"T THEY LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE?

The predictive text dictionary being deleted in the update was not intended. It was not supposed to happen, and LG is currently investigating why it was deleted in the update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

Thanks Sprint for the advice on trying help people with the workarounds

This however is too those that keep complaining about it being sprints fault. Sprint is just the provider and this isn't their fault. It really is LG and Googles fault to what you are having issues on. The battery charger that isn't working is more then customer error. When ever you get any update on a phone you must leave the phone plugged in because believe it or not a smart phone is just like your standard computer. It has drivers for specific things to work and for the charger it needs to be left in so the update can recognize the charger and install the driver for it.

Now for the actual SD card mounting and unmounting I had this happen even on froyo and it turned out because I had a rogue application on it so the best thing for you to do is wipe out your sd card and then leave it in. Sure you will loose your data and things but that is why you should always backup on to computer.

For the USB to computer issue. Learn to read it has been stated all over the boards on how to fix that. If it didn't install for you the first time the reason being is you need to find the old driver and remove it because its conflicting with the new driver. Also there is two links on the sprint portion on LGs site. You should download both of them.

I also read that someone is filing a lawsuit against sprint. Come on are you serious I mean talk about ignorance and I can tell right now I'm sure you aren't gonna win a case about this its just plain out retarded. Grow Up.

Now for the visual look off the phone. Sorry to say but you are going to have to get used to this. For one its not sprints fault that it looks like this. When google designed Gingerbread they designed a software that is supposed to be more battery friendly. The White status bar and notification actually drains the battery more then the black. With LCD screens thats how it works bright colors means more power comsumption. However that still doesn't solve why some may still be having major battery drainage. To keep the battery from drainage only use WiFi when absolutely needed and bluetooth as well. Make sure you actually kill apps instead of having then run in the background because that still take up processor usage hince more battery drainage. Turn your screen brightness down in darker areas because the brighter the backlight the more power and with sprint said turning off your phone and letting it charge is great practice because even with it charging while on its still using battery which will cause it to charge extremely slow killing the life of the battery.

Also if someone tells you to root the phone you can do that but I wouldn't recommend it. The reason being is if you have total protection plan and your phone for some odd reason quits and when they do there checks at the stores for like water damage they will aslo check things like through the recovery system and if that is not spring recovery you happen to be screwed.

Like I said I'm sorry that you all are having issues but blaiming sprint isn't a way to go you need to contact LG and talk to them they are the ones that sent this update. All sprint does is pretty much do what LG said to do and this isn't just happening on the sprint network. There is providers all over the place that are having this problem be the LG Optimus One series which is The Optimus S, Optimus V, Optimus M, etc that are having same problems

Highlighted

Re: Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

When I updated my phone, the charger was plugged in. However, my phone still does not charge. I have to turn the phone off, and then plug it in. After being frozen at the screen between the LG symbol and Android screen for atleast 5 minutes, it turns itself on and will charge. Even then, though, it only charges around 70-80%. Along with this, I've also had extreme battery life drainage. Before the update, my phone could last a few days without getting charged. When the icon turned completed red, it would still last a good 5 hours. I never have wi-fi on, my backlight it set maybe one or two notches higher than nothing, and I always turn my apps off (and I only use them for about 5 minutes when I'm bored). After the update, with the same behaviors and settings, my phone lasts maybe 8 hours at the best. And if I use the internet, it lasts maybe 3. That's just ridiculous. I don't blame Sprint, I just want a fix for all this problems the update seems to have brought.

As for the white bar vs. the black bar, I much prefer the white bar, even if it is suppose to drain more battery life (which I was quite happy with my battery life prior to the update, anyways). It was easier to see my notifications, and I would pull the bar down across the whole screen to use as a flashlight. I can't do this with the black bar, and the new color scheme really is ugly. I'd rather not have Gingerbread (What exactly is it, anyways? My phone just notified me that I had to update it, so I did. It never said anything about Gingerbread.) and just return to the old system.

I've read the posts of others and apparently the Sprint stores can't help us any, if at all, so I was going to attempt a backup, then a hard reset. Would anyone be willing to tell me how I can backup my phone? This was suggested by someone else on the forums, but they never explained how to do it.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat