Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

Highlighted
Journeyman

A power off, power on cleared up a few of the problems I was having.  And

installing the drivers from http://www.lg.com/us/support/mc-support/drivers/LGLS670.zip my PC has the

USB cable to PC working (battery symbol shows charging, status shows charging) and I can get to SD card.  Email is flowing again. 

Maybe this release of Android is like windows and needs frequent reboots to work

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Issues after LG Optimus S Gingerbread Update

Mikeyb89 wrote:

I know it does sound dumb that the charger should have to be plugged in during the update. I do understand the inconvience that this would cause especially with a lot of smart phone users being on the go constantly, therefore no charger being able to be connected. ....

Mikeyb89, please don't me wrong. Your posts are very helpful and insightful. Just that if plugged in is required, LG should've added the few lines of logic to prevent people from updating if not plugged in.

Your explanation might actually explain the problems we are seeing. I always plug in to power whenever I upgrade firmware/OS because I know you could brick the device if these sorts of upgrade fail. However, my wife is a normal user so she didn't plug in for the Gingerbread upgrade.

My phone is happy as a clam. Her phone can only be charged by the computer USB port.

100% agree LG is the culprit and needs to provide a fix ASAP. But, Sprint should setup some change control/governance and don't let vendors push faulty updates that could affect Sprint services. Resulting in unhappy customers and probably much time to respond to issues and complaints.

BTW: I am glad LG/Sprint still update the LG Optimus. Some vendors will leave you in the cold after you purchase. Keep 'em coming, but test it thoroughly first.

Highlighted
Journeyman

dshoem01 wrote:

Based on your feedback, Sprint and LG are investigating issues reported following the LG Optimus update to Gingerbread. 

Most of these issues are intermittent and are not experienced by all customers.  Workarounds are noted below where applicable.   

More information will be posted here as it becomes available.  We apologize for any inconvenience. 

- Device not charging when plugged into a computer via USB or the AC Wall   Adapter. The Battery status under

Settings > About Phone > Status will read   "Discharging" while the device is plugged in. 

Workaround: Charge the device with a wall charger while the device is powered off. 

If this is not a viable workaround for you, visit or contact a Service & Repair center for a possible exchange.  This

issue is not occurring on all devices. 

Based on feedback Sprint and LG are investigating? Workarounds? Really? For 4 days now, since the update, phone will not charge the battery. Battery must be removed from the phone and charged in an external charger. After that it only lasts for an hour and a half. Have been to a sprint third party repair center and to a Sprint corporate store and I am sorry to say that the people working at those two locations are arrogant, incompetent and poorly informed. Neither could fix the phone and would not replace it because I do not have the additional warranty coverage, unless of course I want to pay a fee and get a refurbished phone in 3 or 4 days. Are you kidding me? This is not a warranty issue. This update has rendered our phones inoperable and we need immediate help from Sprint, LG, whomever. As consumers we should have been given the option to update or not. Please inform us all how to get “NEW” replacement phones that you are speaking about or restore my phones to the state they were in before the update. I purchased a “NEW” phone, it was working flawlessly prior to the update, and I shouldn’t have to pay a fee or accept a refurbished phone to replace it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

"Maybe this release of Android is like windows and needs frequent reboots to work"

Don't give them any ideas!  I can see it now from our resident experts "Well see, it is just like a mainstream computer, it has to be rebooted often in order to function properly.  This analogy proves it is user error and not a direct result of Sprint, LG or Google." 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Dear Mikeyb89,

You can’t be serious. This isn’t Sprints fault because they are only the provider? Sprint wants to blame LG, LG wants to blame Sprint, and now you want to throw Google into the mix. Of course its Sprints fault, the fact of the matter is that no device or update reaches the end user unless it’s approved by the service provider. The issues everyone is experiencing is plain and simply because of poor quality testing. Consider the following before even implying the customer had anything to do with this:

My phone was plugged into the factory charger during the night when the update was pushed to it. It will not charge the battery, period.

Wipe out the SD card? My SD card worked fine before the update, no rogue programs.

The USB to computer worked fine before the update. We should not have uninstall, reinstall or otherwise change our computers drivers unless we want to. Consider that some people may not be as technical as you and wouldn’t know how to change drivers.

“Sorry to say but you are going to have to get used to this”? Really? Let me tell you something, this phone is my personal private property. I bought and paid for it. Sprint, LG, Google, none of them have the right to make changes to it without my permission. Customers should have been informed that there was an update available and they could download it if they choose to do so. 

“ignorance”, “retarded” those are your choice of words. That is very insulting in so many ways. And unless you are an attorney please keep your legal opinions to yourself. You are the one that needs to grow up.

We need a resolution immediately. Fix the problems, restore our phones to the way they were before the update or replace them with new ones. Sprint and LG are multi-billion dollar global corporations with the resources to fix this now and they need to stop treating us like we have no right to complain or expect quick action. Just as they expect our prompt payments we expect prompt results not workarounds. There is no work around for a battery that dies in an hour and a half and can not be recharged in the phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I pay $180.00 a freakin month to sprint. Now for four days I have been without my phone, and been dealing with this for over a week now. So if people want to get on here and insult people's intelligence cause they cant fix there own phones, it needs to stop. I shouldn't have to fix a problem that occurs from an update. Why do I pay Sprint so much money a month, to have to worry about if I can fix my phone when an update kills it. Yes the people complaining about text assist and color do annoy me a little, cause my phone does not work at all. But they do have a legetimate complaint also. There is no excuse for what has happened to us as customers. Then to try and treat us like it is our faults. Unbelieveable.

Highlighted
Journeyman

See I don't agree with any of you saying sprint is the ones at fault. I agree sure there isn't any fault to the customer and yes your purchased however when you signed a contract with sprint you pretty much agreed to allow them to do this. Reading fine print is always a best solution.

Not once did I ever give anyone legal advice because I'm not a lawyer but I'm also trying to prove a point that getting a lawyer involved in something like this isn't going to do you anything but cause you more harm because of what sprints contracts say. Also sprint has told many people before that LG is working on this.

I did say its not sprints fault and I will say it again that it isn't. The reason being is the software that got released to use got release from LG servers and these LG servers caused the problem.

I do apologize that you all are having trouble but your not the only ones. Its not just sprint. The whole LG Optimus 1 line which AT&T, Virgin Moblie, Sprint, Verizon, Metro PCS, AllTell and many other networks have a version and its happened on all of them. So clearly if its on all networks clearly its not the providers fault.

Highlighted
Journeyman

my phone will not charge I am guessing and when plugged in and turned on goes into an eternal loop of the word andriod.  All this since the update of software earlier this week.  I need my phone, please tell me what to do.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have an issue that I have not seen anybody else describe...

After the 2.3 update my dialer keeps crashing. I try to call someone and it just does nothing.. than 20 seconds later it gives me an error message saying the dialer crashed and has to force close.

Of course this doesnt happen every single time.. but wayyy too often. Very annoying!

Anybody else experiencing this issue?? Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Mikey,

How old are you?

You really should have paid attention in school.

You have no clue about the legal resposibilties of a merchant and service provider.

Your opinions are not fact. Quite the opposite.

All the carriers that sell this phone, with their name on it, for use on their networks, are the first line of responsibility.

This is settled, Black Letter Law.

All that you and JonMcr state is completely irrelevant to what is Sprint's LEGAL responsiblity under US Law.

LG and Google certainly have culpability but it is the responsibility of the carrier to subrogate and mitigate ongoing damage to THEIR customer.

This is the key part of this issue, Sprint has done NOTHING to mitigate damages.

The stock respons is that "There's nothign they can do".

That statement is clearly false as there are a whole host of thing Sprint could do to mitigate damage.

*All effected users could have their account comped.

*All effected users could replace/upgrade to different phones at no fee

*All effected users could terminate their contracts with no fee

Rest assured that the class action suit over this will result codifying specific responsibilities at the Federal and State levels.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Once again i already said i didnt know this stuff and you are an arrogant person to tell me i never paid attention in school. I was an honor role student with a gpa of 3.98 in my senior year so watch what you say but im not saying i know things abouf cell phone laws but i can tell and ive said it before you arent going to win a case.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Dear dshoem01,

While it is somewhat helpful to receive your information, my problem is completely unresolved. Quite frankly, it doesn't matter who is at fault. It is much more important to meet the needs of the "people" (in this case, the customer).

Honestly, at this point, I truly have lost my faith in Sprint's concern for its customers. And maybe I'm a bit old fashioned, but I truly believe in the golden rule. Maybe I'm more of an optimist (sp?), but I really believed that the company would have explained to us what is happening and made good on the company name. But maybe we really do live in a world where it's more about taking what you can, rather than giving what you can. Which is really a sad reality because I teach my students to look for the good in this world and work diligently to help them see the value of all humans and our responsiblity to one another.

I just want my phone to work. That's all I really care about. Sprint can keep the monthtly fees, whatever. Just fix my phone, please. And, please, just quit blaming me for the problem. I didn't do this and I certainly didn't want this--no one wanted this (not even the developers). So just do what must be done to make it right.

Is it truly just absolutely impossible to restore my phone to its settings before this update? Is there no way to remove the update? Please, just let me take it off. I liked the functionality of my phone before. I had the ability to charge it so that I could actually use it. The battery life lasted the entire day (not an hour) and the keypad worked correctly. That's really all I want.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat