cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG Optimus S Battery Life - Bad

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the latest version of the software on my phone and have updated everything I can possibly think of updating.

Some issues I have encountered:

• Phone Standby takes up about 50% of my battery life.  Time without Service can go up to 90%+ even when I am in service.  The "Airplane Mode" fix does not seem to help this "TWOS Service" Bug.
  • I have an app that moves my apps to my SD card because I kept running out of internal memory.  However, sometimes it seems like the SD card dismounts because I cannot access the applications on the card.
  • I had to uninstall LauncherPro because it kept completely locking up my phone. There are times when I can't even answer my phone still because my screen is frozen.
  • The sound quality if very bad. I always have to turn the volume up to hear voicemails and people I call have a hard time hearing me. This is regardless of my signal strength.
  • Right now, even if I am just using my phone as as paper weight without any of the power options turned on, it discharges in less than 11 hours - basically, not making it a normal waking day. I've had to resort to carrying around a Kensington battery charger because I can't keep my phone plugged into the wall all day.

I am on the verge of canceling my Sprint account after 11 years and switching to Verizon because every Sprint representative says that it is the first time they have heard of these issues or that I am getting typical battery life even though I am not. I am willing to pay the difference for a phone upgrade if they would just do an exchange. Otherwise, this phone is practically useless.

Thanks,

Pam

14 REPLIES 14
Journeyman

I'm so sorry for the frustrations  of the Optimus,  I found a simple fix   for the internal  memory  and the sd card issue that involved replacing and upgrading the sd card.  And for the audio and freezing up issue  that would need to  be  looked at the service and repair centers ..  freezing up  can be a  bad application  that is  downloaded to the phone as well.  make sure as well that all  live wallpapers  are turned off just like all  applications  as well to save the battery life.  www.sprintstorelocator.com and you can make an appointment as well on line.

thanks,
Christinetech

Wizard

Hi, I would like to address your bullets one at a time.  Sometimes, it is the first time Sprint reps have heard of these issues.  They are mostly reactive and not proactive in resolving issues.  Some reps that visit these forums are much more proactive.

The time without service bug does not cause your battery to drain.  It just reports an incorrect number.  However, since you are reporting TWOS as greater than 50%, your phone is actually experiencing time without service, which will cause the battery to drain on any phone.  Some phones have better reception than others.  The airplane mode fix isn't really a fix, it just helps the system report the correct number as time without service, which doesn't actually help get service, it just helps the number to be correct.  Hope that makes sense.  Somehow, your phone is still experiencing time without service.  Perhaps an update to the PRL might help?  Christine's mention of live wallpapers is a good tip.  However, it will only save battery if the phone is on.  Live wallpapers don't use any battery if the phone is off.

The SD card "dismounting" may be because the sd card could use upgrading, like what Christine says above.  I use an 8GB class 6 sd card and have not experienced any dismounting.  However, I experience that sometimes the apps on the sd card are not available.  This happens after a reboot.  Simply unmount and remount the sd card via settings, and it will be "fixed" until the next time you reboot.  Since the Optimus performs quite well, you should not need to reboot often (less than two or three times per month).

Launcher Pro?  ADW is much better!

I agree that the sound quality is not as good as some phones I have had in the past.  However, it's not really that bad, imo.  I can hear people fine, and they can hear me without a problem.  By holding my phone with my fingers, I can cup the palm of hand under the microphone in order to improve voice reception.  Some folks like a more secure grip on their phone, but it may result in reduced voice quality.  As an alternative, a good headset can fix this issue.

Your phone is probably discharging so fast because it is not getting good reception.  From what I can see, it is common to get 15-18 hours of use from this phone.  If you are a heavy constant internet user, it may only last 5 hours.  You may want to consider putting your phone in "airplane mode" while in low/no reception areas in order to preserve your battery for when you are in better reception.

Finally, I would not recommend giving up your gold premier status and yearly upgrades because of one phone.  Gosh, for the extra cost of switching carriers, you could outright buy a nice phone without a contract.  Hang on to this phone until you see something that you like.  Perhaps the dual core Atrix...

Journeyman

After two weeks of trying different settings on my LG Optimus S, i finally got my phone to where the battery will last 18+ hours on a single charge.  I did not want to load or configure any "task Killer" app, so I stuck with modifying the settings.  The one setting that I've achieved the best results is turning off 3G data when not specifically using it: 

Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Data Enabled (unclick this box)

Of course you'll have to enable it if you're web browsing or streaming data, but when not using it and by turning off Data, the 3G won't be actively sucking up your battery's power.  You'll still see the Cell Standby reflect 50% or more (this seems to be common for my area, even with good coverage), and you can even keep "Use GPS satellites" enabled.  Prior to this, my LG Optimus battery would barely last 8 hours on a full charge without even using it!  I tried the airplane mode trick throughout the day but it wouldn't extend the battery life by much, and found it to be a rather stupid suggestion....what good is a phone if you can't receive or call people.  That's all there is to it!!

Journeyman

Another thing my wife has found is running on wifi when at home, and turning off the data. It takes alot less battery running off wifi than it does trying to run off the data network, especially where we live. Signal is not always that great. Just a little tip to help

Wizard

Great suggestion!  Data can suck a lot of juice from the battery.  The airplane mode should produce similar results to turning data off, except it also turns the phone off.  That appears unusual that your phone can experience increased battery life with data off, but not the same or even better results when using airplane mode.  Anyway, airplane mode is for when you are in low/no reception areas, when you wouldn't be able to call or receive calls anyway.  For me, I turn on airplane mode during church, for exampe.

There is a great free program on the Android market called Quick Settings by Sergej that can help you quickly manually toggle your data connection. There are other programs that can automatically manage settings, like Setting Profiles by Probeez.

Journeyman

in regards to your battery issue:

try out a program called Juice Defender.  it automatically disables data and wifi when the screen is off.......along with many other things.  it increased my battery life a whopping 40 percent, roughly, with the free download from the market.  but, i liked it so much that i purchased juice defender ultimate which, after some easy tweaking in the "customize" mode, JUICE DEFENDER HAS INCREASED MY BATTERY LIFE BY 81 PERCENT!!!!!  that is amazing for sure

Journeyman

and....it learns where you are around and connected to wifi the most by location (not gps, though) so that it knows to switch to wifi (less energy using) when your screen is on.  it also does not search for wifi all of the time like it would without this program.  many other things, too...etc., etc.

Journeyman

I'm having ALL the same problems. This phone is terrible.

Journeyman

Try turning OFF data (settings>wireless & networks>mobile networks>data enabled) when not in use....battery will last much longer if data is off.

Journeyman

beliving wrote:

Great suggestion!  Data can suck a lot of juice from the battery.  The airplane mode should produce similar results to turning data off, except it also turns the phone off.  That appears unusual that your phone can experience increased battery life with data off, but not the same or even better results when using airplane mode.  Anyway, airplane mode is for when you are in low/no reception areas, when you wouldn't be able to call or receive calls anyway.  For me, I turn on airplane mode during church, for exampe.

There is a great free program on the Android market called Quick Settings by Sergej that can help you quickly manually toggle your data connection. There are other programs that can automatically manage settings, like Setting Profiles by Probeez.

I'm using the "Power Control" widget and it seems to work great. Much easier (to me) than dealing with an app and it's already on the phone.

Wizard

That's a great tool (the power control widget).  Except it doesn't allow you to turn off data completely.  Holding down the search button allows you to launch Quick Settings from nearly any application, which adds a lot of convenience.  If you try it, I think you'll like it!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat