cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG Optimus S updated to 2.3, and now hotspot keeps shutting off

Journeyman

LG Optimus S updated to 2.3, and now hotspot keeps shutting off

Unfortunately, the update to Gingerbread got pushed onto my phone this morning.  While the display IS an utter piece of crap, the bigger issue is that the mobile hotspot (which we're now calling "tethering," I gather) keeps shutting itself off for no reason that I'm aware of.  I've had to reactivate five times in the last three hours.  It's really annoying. 

I'd like to roll back to the previous Android version which not only worked better, but had legible icons on the toolbar, and the backgrounds weren't that hideous black.

3 REPLIES 3
Journeyman

Re: LG Optimus S updated to 2.3, and now hotspot keeps shutting off

Good luck with that rollback. I asked for the same thing for the  numerous problems this forced update initiated (I never got the choice  to accept this "update").

Sprint told me to call LG. LG told me to call Google (since  Google owns Android), Google told me to call Sprint. A complete  runaround. As usual, there is no accountability from ANYONE at Sprint. I  have a phone that I now hate using, through a  service that is spotty at best. I had to install an Airave, since the  coverage in my area had gone from bad to worse. Now I have to argue with  my cable company over bandwidth usage because half the neighborhood is  piggybacking on my Airave. I'm paying the bill to support Sprint  customers and Sprints response is, "It shouldn't be that bad..."

Really?

Anyhow,  back to the "tethering" issue: The forst frustrating call to Sprint had  me speaking with someone who told me that they never heard of that  feature. I asked for their supervisor, who told me that feature is not  available on this phone. I suggested he look at the product page on the  Sprint.Com site and read back to me the feature bullet points. The next  frustrating call I had to Sprint over this resulted in them telling me  that I need an Unlimited Data Plan. Well... I do have an Unlimited Data  Plan. AND that "unlimited data" is being routed through MY internet connection via the Airave. Once they confirm this, they tell  me that, "It's working fine. It must be something you have done wrong on  your end."

Considering I've been in the communications industry for my  entire life, and data networking is an integral part of my job, I'm  confident of my abilities to set up a simple WiFi access point. Sprint  flatly told me that the problems I was having was "user error" related  and tried to leave it at that. Next they told me I had to sign up for  the "Sprint Mobile Hotspot Add-On." Well... this is was not a  requirement when I signed my contract with them on this phone.  Therefore, it is a change in the contract which I did not agree to. Of  course, Sprint isn't going to budge when it comes to fee's that they can  wring out of you.

All I can say is: I've been stupid enough to  pay Sprint for going on four years now. That ends when my current  contract runs out. Sprint will no longer be giving me the constant  run-around.

Master

FRIZZLLEFRY wrote:

Good luck with that rollback. I asked for the same thing for the  numerous problems this forced update initiated (I never got the choice  to accept this "update").

Sprint told me to call LG. LG told me to call Google (since  Google owns Android), Google told me to call Sprint. A complete  runaround. As usual, there is no accountability from ANYONE at Sprint. I  have a phone that I now hate using, through a  service that is spotty at best. I had to install an Airave, since the  coverage in my area had gone from bad to worse. Now I have to argue with  my cable company over bandwidth usage because half the neighborhood is  piggybacking on my Airave. I'm paying the bill to support Sprint  customers and Sprints response is, "It shouldn't be that bad..."

The rollback files and instructions have been available at www.sprint.com/downloads and in Service and Repair stores since about a week after the rollout was stopped. Information regarding it was also distributed to all Care/Tech Support/Retail locations and instructions were provided here in the Community forums as well. Unless you have somehow managed to talk to only people who don't care at all about their job, the information has been freely available almost everywhere else.

Journeyman

"Unless you have somehow managed to talk to only people who don't care at all about their job..."

That seems to account for nearly everyone I have ever dealt with at Sprint. I either get people who are only interested in getting me to sign up and pay for more stuff that my business does not need, or do whatever they can to shut me up and get me off of the phone without having to accept any responsibility.  Thanks for the info but in three months, it won't matter anymore, as I am taking all of my business phones off of Sprint and moving to another provider. I've spent nearly 17k in the past four years with Sprint and can confidently say that I get better customer service at McDonalds. 

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat