cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG Optimus for Sprint ID

Sprint Product Ambassador

LG Optimus for Sprint ID

http://newsroom.sprint.com/images/9004/optimus-fs2.jpgThe new LG Optimus will be coming out later this month and is 'optimized' for the new Sprint ID packs. Pretty impressive device:  3.2-inch capacitive touch-screen, virtual QWERTY keyboard, mobile  hotspot capability supporting up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices to share  the 3G experience simultaneously and visual voicemail. 

You can check out more about the Optimus from the fact sheet.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted

Re: LG Optimus for Sprint ID

Engadget weighs in, sounding pretty impressed with this "low end" android phone:

The low-end Android game just got real, folks, with Sprint's introduction of the LG Optimus S, a $50 (on-contract, post-rebate) Android slatephone running Froyo on a 3.2-inch HVGA screen, with mobile hotspot functionality for up to five devices, 802.11 b/g WiFi and a 600MHz processor to run the whole shebang. As you'd expect in a world of 1GHz smartphones at the $200 price point, it's not quite up to spec, but that doesn't keep it from having a super-solid build, durable and weighty, that belies its low price. It honestly feels much like a Nexus One in the hand, though with nice big physical buttons instead of of capacitive function keys

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/06/lg-optimus-s-for-sprint-first-hands-on/

Journeyman

Hey Sprint it's launch day for this device and NO ONE HAS IT?????? You can't even get the launch date right or stock up stores in time??? No stock in retail outlets or online. Heck of a way to improve your bottom line when you can't even get the phone out to the people who want to buy.

Master

This is one of the reasons launch dates usually aren't announced very far in the future from when it happens. If anything comes up that prevents a shipment being received it can delay the launch.

Wizard

so, anyone heard of why the delay?  no announcement from sprint that i could find.  i thought it was just the local sprint stores, but i don't even see it with sprint online shopping.  definately not seeing it at third-party stores (nor their online stores).

Wizard

I have the LG Optimus S.  I came from the Samsung Moment.

I am truly impressed with this device.  Even though it has a slower processor, it really performs.  I installed all the same applications that I had on my Moment, and this device is handling with ease what the Moment struggled with.  If you have an 800 Mhz processor and think the only way to get rid of lag is to upgrade to 1 Ghz, then I recommend that you first give this phone a try.  It opens apps real smoothly, and the home screens are very responsive (I use ADW launcher).  The phone doesn't randomly reboot, and it keeps connected to the Sprint network all day long!  There is no Data Lock Up or Unwanted Airplane Mode!

I was concerned about going from an 800 mhz processor to a 600 mhz processor, but after installing all my apps, I am very pleased with my selection. The Optimus is outperforming my old Moment by a long shot.  It's not even funny.  I am amazed.  I cannot believe it's only a 600 mhz processor.  Maybe there's some unadvertised hidden secondary processor...

The reduction in the phone's bulk is worth losing a physical keyboard.  I hope I don't change my mind about that in a few months! but for now, Swype is satisfactory for a free keyboard.  Swiftkey is still my preference.  I'm gonna miss Moment Flash for my LED flashlight.  I'm not going to miss waiting 10 minutes for a GPS lock.  I don't know whether there are good or bad GPS firmwares, but the Optimus pegs my location, indoors and out.  The GPS is fast!  If I am in a hurry, I can go ahead and drive, then input the address when I come to a red light.  I would not dare do that with the Moment because by the time I got a GPS lock, I will have already missed a turn!  I couldn't find much on the combination of AGPS and SGPS, but it works!

I primarily use the camera for document scanning using DroidScan, so it works fine for me.  I tried it on the kids playing at McDonald's, and I was impressed with the shutter speed.  I pushed the button and it took the picture.  No waiting. (If you have not experienced this "picture lag", trust me, it can be annoying).  The 3.2 inch screen with 16M colors is satisfactory.  Perhaps it's the differenct between AMOLED and LCD, but the colors on my Moment appeared more saturated.  The black is not black anymore, but rather a really dark gray, and the light yellow is awfully close to white, and the white has kindof a blue hue.  I'm being really picky here, overall the display is good and fast.  Also, it plays WMV files, which is new.  Is that a 2.2 option?  I know 2.2 needs multi-touch.  Before, I thought multi-touch was just a matter of minor convenience.  But now, I realize that it's rather nice!

I kindof like having a phone button, which the Optimus lacks.  I can get used to it.  I like that I can uninstall Sprint programs.  Sprint NFL comes with the Sprint ID pack, but I just uninstalled it without a problem.  I was also able to free up some more memory by putting low use programs on the SD card.  I just select "move to SD card" from the app manager.  Finally, I like the physical buttons.  I won't be accidentally pressing a button when switching from portrait to landscape view.  Perhaps I'm the only one who does that...

I would have prefered for the speakerphone to be at the bottom of the device.  When it's at the bottom, the sound is amplified by the natural curve of your hand when holding the phone facing toward you.  It's awkward to "cup" the speakerphone when it's at the top.  I think I'm the only one who does this.  But y'all gotta try it.  The battery lasts 9 hours where I would normally get only 4.5 hours out of my Moment.

Overall, I am very happy with the Optimus.  It has a good display, good processor, and good camera, great battery, with excellent GPS and excellent performance.  I'm so happy it was only $50!

Journeyman

New to the LG Optimus S as of yesterday.  Two phones and neither will download Sprint ID packs.  Chat tech told me to take it to a Sprint store which I did.  Store employee said it is a known problem and the ID Pack downloads only worked for the first day and not since.  Is this the straight answer on this?

If you are getting an error on downloading a Sprint ID pack, you may have digital downloads restricted on your account.  Visit My Sprint, then the My Preferences tab.  Scroll down to the Restrictions section and un-check Digital purchases.

Thanks,

Will

Journeyman

There is no "restrictions" section under My Preferences. ANy suggestions?

Journeyman

The section is near the bottom and is called Limits and permissions.  Look for "Block Digital Media Downloads" and make sure you aren't blocked.

Journeyman

Did that - sorry for not updating - nothing is blocked.

Journeyman

I am having the same problem.... the guy at the store wasn't able to help me either but said to bring it back if the problem persists after another 24 hrs.  Ugh.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat