cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory questions (phone and SD card)

Highlighted
Journeyman

1. I'm getting messages about phone memory filling up, so I've moved as many apps as I can to the SD card. Sadly many apps can't be moved, but where are pictures stored? I can delete a few, but I'd much rather have these on the SD card.  Hopefully that's where they are... Are they any other tips for preserving phone memory?

2. When it's time to go to a bigger SD card (which seems like it's not quite the problem solver I was hoping for), can I just copy the entire contents of the small SD card to the large one? Note: I would most likely use an external USB reader capable of reading the micro SD card (and yeah, I'll unmount it first).

Thanks,

Eric

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Master

1.Pictures and videos are stored in a microSD card.  The Gallery application presents the pictures and videos on your microSD card, including those you've taken with the Camera application and those you downloaded from the Web or other locations. Check your Internal Storage to how much   device memory is left. Internal Memory on your phone is 512MB.For memory issues check what are the applications that you have downloaded from Market to your phone. Also I would suggest you to delete emails/text/other 3rd pty Apps. Powercycle the phone and check your Internal Storage Memory.

2. MicroSD™ slot for expandable storage up to 32 GB. You can copy the entire contents of the small SD card to the large one using USB reader.

Wizard

Try downloading the free application History Eraser (with a red/white eraser icon).  It will clean all the cache memory from your device.  Also, any free Apps2SD program will help ensure that all movable apps are on the SD card.  The History Eraser can recover 20MB of space when used the first time, and about 5-10mb thereafter as you fill up cache memory.

Wizard

I'm fairly certain that your low memory message is referring to your device memory as opposed to the MicroSD memory. You can determine this by going to Menu > Settings > SD Card & Phone Storage and comparing the available space on both your memory card and internal phone storage.

Assuming that your issue lies with the internal memory, which is used exclusively for app storage. The easiest way to manage device memory, i.e. determine the apps hogging the most memory is found in Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications. On the downloaded tab, press menu and select "Sort by size." This will put the apps using the largest amount of memory at the top of the list. In this way you can more easily weigh the advantages of the apps versus their memory usage. Often times the removal of one or two apps can have a major impact the available memory.

Journeyman

Thank you all... Need to get phone and mess around with it while I read this (phone is charging in another room).

I have an 8GB, so I guess I'll do a copy and see what happens.

Will mark answers shortly.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat