cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Service after deactivation and rolling back to Froyo

Highlighted
Journeyman

I recently switched over to a new phone, thus deactivating my Optimus S. After deactivation, I rolled back to Android 2.2 using Sprint's update.zip file. After the restore, I no longer have any reception, it just says "No Service", and I know I'm in an area with perfect reception. I called Sprint and they told me that it's fine and it will get signal once it is reactivated on a different line and that I should still be able to make emergency calls. I tried to argue with him, but he persisted. I don't see how the phone can make an emergency call with it literally has no service. Obviously I'm not going to test call 911, but if I try calling a 1-800 number, I get "mobile network not available", when usually you would expect to receive an automated message saying the phone isn't activated. I don't see how it could be a hardware issue, considering it was just working before I downgraded, so can anybody provide some steps to try and get this thing's signal back? I have tried to reset the phone to factory defaults multiple times.

1 REPLY 1
Journeyman

Ok I solved the problem, and will post the solution in case anybody else runs into this. The phone was running a custom ROM with a custom recovery (I know, this won't garner any sympathy from Sprint folk). I tried flashing the update.zip with the custom recovery, which mostly works (if you turn off signature checking), but doesn't flash the radio image. So I re-rooted, restored the stock recovery using flash_image and the stock recovery file. Then I re-flashed the update.zip file from stock recovery and I have signal again.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat