cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimus S freezing/not loading

Highlighted
Journeyman

Does anyone else come across the problem of your phone freezing? Or, more recently, my phone will just refuse to load internet pages and certain apps. It will half-load a webpage, and do nothing more. VERY annoying. Even if I shut the phone off and turn it back on, it still does this. I just performed a master reset on the phone though, and things are working better, but INSANELY slow. And it's not just that I have a bad signal, it seems to perform the same way no matter if I have one bar or full bars, or even if I'm in a different location while trying to use it.

I've been having problems with this phone since about a month after using it and have made many trips to the Sprint store to get it fixed, but all they do is reset the phone and my problems will be gone for a day or two, and then it starts again. But if I go back to the Sprint store, they just do the same thing over again and call it fixed. They've also told me it might have to do with certain apps that may have bugs in them and to slowly start downloading them one-by-one until I see which app is the problem, but this never seems to work because it will just do it randomly even after I've had all the apps for a long period of time.

I sometimes think that maybe my phone just doesn't have enough memory to hold everything, so then I try moving anything that I can onto my SD card but this still solves no problem. I have an 8GB card (well, phone says 7.39GB) and says I still have 7.22GB left. So, I don't understand why anything should be moving slowly.

One more problem unrelated to this: I've seen a lot of people talk about their phone shutting off and turning back on on its own. Has there been a solution for this? I've performed all the updates for the phone and it still does this, any suggestions?

I hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance!

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

I also forgot that the reason I brought up the issue with certain apps having bugs was to ask if anyone knows of any certain apps that may have a bug problem..?

Master

What apps do you have installed?  Do you use the arrow key to back out of apps or do you use the home key?  Post a list of your apps and I will follow up tomorrow if someone else doesn't.  You can also just install one app per day and try to find any culprits.  But the users on here will give you feedback after you post the additional info.

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

Journeyman

Okay, so I haven't installed any apps since my master reset except for 'Sudoku Free'. And it's still running slowly/sometimes freezing.

Wizard

I use Dolphin HD for my browser, and have not experienced slow internet.  Perhaps try a different web browser.  Also, the free memory on your SD card probably has little influence on the phone's performance.  On the other hand, your phone should have a workable amount of memory for optimal performance.  I try to keep my phones memory about 45mb or more, but have had satisfactory performance with memory as little as 30mb.  Less than that, and I notice performance issues.

Concerning your phone shutting off and turning back on: can you replicate the problem?  I have three Optimus phones, and none of them shut off randomly.  Perhaps if you gave me the steps, I could try to troubleshoot the problem myself.

Journeyman

I tried downloading Opera while my phone was doing it's whole not loading the internet thing, and it still didn't. After I reset my whole phone, it loaded then, but still slowly. Perhaps I can try Dolphin, I tried it in the past but just really didn't get into it. Maybe I'll learn to like it though. And my phone has 102mb on it, so I still don't see why it's going slow. I also go into my apps and force quit some of them if I think that's a problem, but doesn't help the phone's performance.

And as for the shutting off and turning back on- it's completely random. It used to only occur when I had it on the charger and not using it at all. But now I've found it likes to shut off while I'm using it. It can shut off while in the middle of a text, while on the internet, and sometimes while my phone is just sitting idly, not doing anything. I read somewhere once that it could be the memory card and I might have to get a new one, but I've received a new card since this originally started happening, and the same thing still happens.

This phone really is just starting to be a pain in the neck!

Wizard

Yes, I remember the memory card issue.  They said that a firmware update fixed it, but I am not entirely convinced.  However, it appears people who have switched to a class 6 memory card (including myself) have not experienced this issue.  I've also seen that a class 4 card works pretty good, too.  It appears you are still having the same old issue with the SD card, imo.  Would you mind checking what class your SD card is?

102mb is a lot of memory!  You must have not yet downloaded your favorite programs.   Dolphin has improved, and I think it's a great alternative, especially because you can cache to the SD card, saving phone memory for apps.  By holding down the Back button, Dolphin will exit and clear the cache.

I have on occasion experienced the phone getting internet freeze.  For me, it was during times of being on the wifi range border (or roaming data border).  Once, it happened while navigating and trying to use the internet (from the passenger seat, of course).  There is an app called Quick Settings by Sergej.  You can launch the app by holding down the search button.  This app allows you to quickly and conveniently toggle the 3g network or wifi network.  If your network locks up, just use Quick Settings to toggle it off and back on.  That will reset your data connection and things should work fine.

The Optimus is actually a pretty good Android phone, better than anything Samsung has made, imo.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat