cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone mutes and locks while talking!? Anyone else?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Anyone else have this issue? During a conversation, the person on the other end of the call, suddenly can't hear me. I can hear them, but it's as if I have pushed the mute button.... which I have NOT!  Every time this happens, I look at the screen and it is off. I need to push the top power button to turn the screen back on, then slide the lock to unlock the phone which brings me to the menu screen instead of the call. If I then just select "phone" it brings me to the phone, but not to the CALL that I am currently on! So, instead I have to select the call from the notifications on the top in order to get back to the caller. When I finally get to the call screen, the mute button is NOT selected, but if I hit the back button from there (the left arrow button on the bottom of the phone) the caller can suddenly hear me again. The problem is, usually by this time, the caller has hung up, because it has taken 5 minutes to get there, while the caller is saying "hellooo??? are you there?" and I'm screaming "YES! Why can't you hear me?!?" and frantically trying to get back to the call screen so I can try and fix it!

I assume this has *something* to do with the phone locking while I'm talking, but I just don't understand why it apparently mutes the call when the screen locks!?! Is this happening to anyone else? I have tried looking through my settings, but I just can't figure it out, and it's getting very frustrating! I'd love some help or suggestions if anyone has any.

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
Wizard

Howdy!  Sorry to hear about your phone issues.  I have not personally experienced what you describe.  However, I can come close to replicating the problem by tapping "Add a call" while on a phone call.  If this happens, you can hear the other person, but they won't hear you.  It brings you phone and not to the call, and pressing the back button will "unmute" the call so the caller can hear you.

Sometimes, the proximity sensor (to the left of the Sprint logo) may be slow to engage the screen lock, and "face-tapping" occurs.  Normally, the screen is locked and off while on a call.  This sounds like the problem they had with the ZV9 version of software.  If your phone has not yet been updated to the ZVD version, it should happen automatically over the air very soon.

Journeyman

Re: Phone mutes and locks while talking!? Anyone else?

Mine does the same thing exactly as you discribed, I notice it happens mostly when I change ears but not always. I have only had this phone 28 days and was ready to take it back to sprint store in the morning to turn it in and go back to using blackberry.

Beliving, I checked my SW version and it is LS670ZVD and my phone is currently up to date.

If I take it in to store can they fix this?

Wizard

J Trip, personally, I really like the Optimus.  I think it is a very nice phone for the price.  I like it so much that I have three of them on my plan, and none of the users experience the issue you describe.  In my opinion, if I were in your shoes, I would bring the phone to the Sprint store and get a replacement.  If the replacement phone experiences the same problem, then I would consider that it could possibly be the manner in which I am handling the phone.

When I hold my Optimus phone during a call, I cup my hand underneath the phone to help direct my voice into the microphone, and the only thing that touches the front of the phone is my ear to the earpiece.  Holding the bottom of the phone away from my face took some practice in the beginning because with landline phones, the objective is to hold the phone against my face.  Some folks get offended by a suggestion like this, and I don't intend to be mean.  I'm just saying this may be a possibility.

Journeyman

Believe,

I appriciate your candor and I am not offended. But this is not my issue because when I use my husbands Optimus S that we both recieved on the same day I do not have this problem. I figure since Talk and I are the only people I have found with this issue I may have recieved a lemon. After no help from CS on phone they suggested I go to a sprint store and they would fix it and if it couldnt be fixed I would get a replacement phone.So I went to a sprint store had this thread printed out and they had nevere heard of this problem. They replaced the screen. I asked why they would replace the screen, My thought was it was something with the proximity sensor. They didn't have a clear answer for me. I left the store made a call and it did the same thing. So I called CS and asked for them to send me a new Optimus S since I was on day 29 of my 30 day return policy for defective equipment. I was sent the wrong phone so am just waiting on the correct one. Talk if you purchesed the phone in the last 30 days I would exchange it for a new one. If you got it by CS through mail you have to get the new that way. If you bought it a a store they can replace itfor you there.

Jules

Journeyman

I've had mine since January and the longer I have it, the more I dislike it. I've had this issue many times - even with my Bluetooth connected. the phone is up to date. I think they're jinxed honestly. I've had many petty issues since day one, and I'm ready to go back to my blackberry even though I despise it

Journeyman

i have the same issue. it did this yesterday when i was using the bluetooth in my car and the phone wasnt anywhere near my face. usually i have to mute the phone and unmute the phone again for it to work. not sure what's going on but i'm contemplating on taking it in for a switch.

Wizard

If you are considering another Android, I would encourage you to read the forums first.  You'll find that the Optimus is a really good phone.  I cannot replicate the issue you are having.  Would you consider posted the steps necessary to replicate the problem you are having?

I think that whatever it is that is muting your phone, it may simply be a matter of which applications are running.  For example, I use Astrid tasks.  Whenever Astrid gives a voice reminder, it mutes the headphones.  The only way I can get the headphones working again is to go to TTS settings and tap "Listen to an example".  I don't know why that restores audio, it just does.  It's faster than rebooting the device.

Android devices are great because they have no real limits on software.  However, Android devices are also a pain because they have no real limits on software.  I am very pleased with my Optimus, as compared to the Moment or Transform.  I hope you find a device that fits you.

Journeyman

I have had 2 Optimus S phones in the last 3 months with this problem. This is not a user issue, my husbavd has same phone we got the together and i can talk on his phone for hours with no problems.  have spent hours on the phone with sprint trying to resolve the issue I have re the muting and on the second phone it calls people randomaly either after i hang up with call and set it down or while im talking it will disconnect and call one of my contacts at random. I traded the phone in under the 30 no charge exchange policy when the phone you recieve is defective. the second phone is not covered under this policy unless it is still in the original 30 days. Now I will get refurbs under my ins. have taken both to a sprint. I have reset my phone ro factory default with the help of sprint thinking it was an app i may be using conflicting with phone. and have had the proximity sensor and screen replaced on each phone. no help. So i called and demanded to talk to someone who could help me. I wanted to get out of this contract with the optimus, upgrade to a better phone and resign another 2 year contract. I was transfered 8 times.

I finally reached a lady who asked if I could hold so she can speak with her assocoiates concerning my requests, I held for a few min and she came back this is what she told me VERBAITUM.

"Mrs S>>>>,

My associates have informed me that the problems your having with your phone are not a device issue, rather a service issue. if you pay your 93.and change past due balance your phone problems will go away."

REALLY!?!?!?!?!? I did not have a past due when I started having a problem,my other 3 phones on my account do not have any problems,  i have a past due because I was holding off part of my payment until my issue was resolved. So I paid my past due balance and we will see.\ Is it even legal for them to mess with my service like that???

Ill let you know if it works.

Journeyman

well i paid my past due and am current and still my optimus is muting/hanging up on 80% of my calls and still dials people on its own. So I was told that I had to pay full price for a new phone but my optimus was worth 38 on a trade in. this is by far the worst phone I have ever owned.

Journeyman

my suggestion would be to take a shower with your phone. The steam should fix all your problems. I also have a bridge I would like to sell ya and your winning lottery number are 2,3,4,5,6,and 147.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat