cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software Updates - Sprint, Google, LG (branched from 9/14 LG Optimus Software Update discussion)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Software Updates - Sprint, Google, LG (branched from 9/14 LG Optimus Software Update discussion)

" What ticks me off more than anything is the very cavalier attidue from Sprint about this.

Their attitude is this is LG's problem, not ours.

I told them that the phone was sold to me by SPRINT, is branded by SPRINT and runs on the SPRINT network.

It is Sprint's RESPONSIBILITY!

Sadly, Sprint is a case study in what NOT to do when handling customers."

Very well put.  I understand that the update came from Android, but as you said, Sprint needs to be aware of this issue and know how to fix it, since they are business partners.

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Wizard

Most people are just guessing at how Sprint, LG, and Android are partnered together. Most assume automatically that because Sprint sells the devices and gives tech support on them, that Sprint is the one who makes the decisions on what they will do with the operating systems on the phones.

Sprint has contracts in place. They have to allow things to be done by Google in order to continue offering Android phones. They offer Android because it is an attraction point for customers, because customers WANT android / open sourced phone that allow the customer to decide what programs (apps) they will use..unlike feature phones which  only give you what the provider tells the manufacturer to incorporate.

LG and Android make most decisions, then they present them to Sprint in a "this is how we will do this phone, for this lifespan, and cover with tech support until this date. Sprint has signed an agreement to offer a certain phone, at a certain price point, and has to allow the OS maker to do things to it's operating system to keep handset costs down. If this weren't the case, then Sprint wouldn't pay a subsidy for the phones, and we would go back to  the days when it didn't matter on the length of contract, you'd pay $400 - $500 - $600 for a phone WITH a 2-year agreement.  But because they pay a subsidy, Sprint can offer the phones at a fraction of the price, but they have to allow things to be changed during the phones life, while the phones are deployed to customers.

Under the same licensing agreement as Android uses, the same can be used by customers in order to root their phones without retalliation by the provider. This GNU  license says you can alter the ROM of the phone and install your own ROM, and make certain changes to the software...and it's perfectly legal and fine to do...you CAN NOT alter the eeprom (hard coded) things in the phone, like ESNs or MSLs. That's the illegal portion of it, and will end your agreement fast, and possibly incur you some criminal charges ..but nobody who devs the custom roms will even speak to you about doing this, as it's NOT condoned, supported or recommended. I know the website I use to get custom firmware ...if you mention ESN swapping, you better have a good reason or you'll be banned.

Highlighted
Journeyman

JonMcR,

Thanks for informative post.
It shows why Sprint has even more responsibility to make things right.

Sprint is the entity that offers the units to the final consumer.
As such, they have the greatest responsibility and culpability.

Message was edited by: dshoem01 - changed title to newly branched post's title.

Highlighted
Wizard

You obviously see things a bit differently, as Sprint can't tell Android not to update the phones. They can suggest they wait, as they've done with this Gingerbread update since MAY, but they can't stop them. Sprint can relay all the technical findings to LG and Android, and the problems they find in test phones running the updates, but in the end, it's Google who pushes the update, NOT sprint. The person in "charge" of pushing out the update and financial burden lies with the company that MADE the software...not the customer (sprint) who re-sells the phones for use on it's network.

Sprint can only do so much, they don't own Android or LG, and they can't force them to hold back an update that Google says will work on the Optimus. That's the facts. They can say "our techs have found 300 trouble tickets with Android on the Optimus", but Google can still say "that's only 300 out of thousands that you've put into service, the update will still push"

And about rooting...

Woud you rather have 3 or 4 months left in warranty (when you have insurance coverage from Asurion on them anyway), or have a working phone? food for thought here.

Message was edited by: dshoem01 - changed title to newly branched post's title

Highlighted
Journeyman

JonMcr,

You are incorrect.

The responsibility to the customer who purchases the phone lies with Sprint.

Sprint created the transaction.

This is black letter law.

The first thing they should do is IMMEDIATELY cease the sales of all LG Optimus Units

and only resume them when the problem is corrected.

This type of response is typical when the problem is so bad that it renders the roduct essentially unuseable for it's designed intent.

This is not to say that Google and LG don't have culpability.

They do, but Sprint is the retail vendor and has the legal responsibility to subrogate and mitigate damage to the consumer.

Highlighted
Wizard

So where do you think Sprint gets the phones? They don't make them.

LG, right?

And who designs the OS for LG?

Google Android Development team...right?

So no, Sprint is not the one primarily to blame when Google Android Devs force an update that Sprint has forwarned doesn't work well with the device. And in the end, all of this financially will be paid for by google..but nobody will ever hear of that ,because it's done behind the scenes.

People just think because Sprint sells you the phone, they are the only one in the game.

If you bought a chair from Walmart, and the first time you sat in the chair, it fell and you broke your back because of a manufacturing flaw, according to your logic here, you'd sue walmart ..not the maker.

Message was edited by: dshoem01 - changed the title to newly branched post's title

Highlighted
Journeyman

They offer Android because it is an attraction point for customers,  because customers WANT android / open sourced phone that allow the  customer to decide what programs (apps) they will use..

But we also insist that the phones actually WORK.  If using Android means that I can't use my phone, I'll take anything else that works.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ford doesn't make the engine in my car, but if they came and replaced the engine one night, and it stopped working, guess who I'd blame?

Highlighted
Journeyman

JonMcr,

Try reading what I actually wrote.

If you don't understand the law, that's not my problem.

Your example is comparing apples to oranges as we are talking about a warranty of merchantability and not product liability.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Warranty+of+merchantability

And for the record, in product liability cases like your example, the retailer is indeed sued as well as the manufacturer.

Message was edited by: dshoem01 - changed the title to newly branched post's title

Highlighted
Journeyman

"Sprint can relay all the technical findings to LG and Android, and the  problems they find in test phones running the updates, but in the end,  it's Google who pushes the update, NOT sprint."

You're wrong.  The Network Administrator is in charge of updating all software on the Network.  Windows doesn't push its updates to my computer at work; they send the updates to the IT department, who works out when to push the updates, or whether they'll do it all.   SPRINT runs this network. SPRINT decides when the updates will be pushed. 

If Sprint is NOT following this industry standard for running a network, then they are incompetent and do not deserve anyone's business.

Highlighted
Wizard

Whatever...you people have it all figured out, and have read the Android licensing and obviously know how phone subsidy works (laughable)..so what's the point in trying to state the facts.

We better get started telling all of these app developers that they are wrong for submitting their apps to google, and should be submitting them to Sprint instead, for approval by Sprint.

Which one of you wants to contact AT&T, Tmo, and VZW app develoeprs know that they should now report to Sprint for their app approvals?

Because it's Sprint's network, and the App runs on Sprint's phone..so Sprint shoudl've been the one approving the apps. Glad you guys informed us of how things should be, now they can change the name of the Android Market to "Sprint Market"...

HAH.

As I said, you folks haven't read ONE IOTA of the android licensing agreement, nor does your posts reflect any knowledge of how phone subsidies work when providers buy a brand (like LG). Just wow.

Highlighted
Journeyman

JonMcR,

Obviously you're an Android nuthugger who doesn't understand the law when it comes to a product being fit for use.

Android licensing and subsidies are completely irrelevant to Sprint's responsibility to its customers.

If you don't understand that then maybe you should just STFU!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat