cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Store Solved Charging Issue For Me

Journeyman

I took two Optimus S phones to my local Sprint repair center. One was stuck on the Android boot screen. Neither would charge. Tech dude had to do a factory reset on the one that was stuck on the Android screen. Here is how he fixed the charging issue and no, I am not making this up. I had him write down the instructions on a piece of paper and I am reprinting here:

"Go to Menu/Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/All and find Google Services Framework. Do a Force Stop and Clear Data. Reboot phone."

If you are like me, your reaction right now is probably along the lines of "what the . . . ."  When I saw what the dude was doing (he did it right in front of me) I almost laughed at him. After he showed me that my phone was charging I wanted to hug him and buy him a beer.

The whole time he was performing these fixes he was reading from an email. I could see that it had come from another Sprint repair tech. 

Hope this helps some people and makes their day.

UPDATE: Both phones now will charge if I use a wall charger or a car charger. They do not charge if I try to plug a data cable into a USB port on my computer. I will have to try the USB driver update and report back.

14 REPLIES 14
Master

This fix is not one that is approved and while it may have resloved the problem it can cause others.

Journeyman

Can you clarify what issues you were seeing before they did this fix?  It seems there are many different issues happening to different phones.

Were you able to charge using the original wall-USB-charger that came with the phone before this fix?  Do you know if you were experiencing the issue where the phone would spontaneously turn itself back on when it was plugged in?

I'd be willing to give this a shot, since I've already backed up my apps.  But if your phone wasn't experiencing the same behaviors as mine, then I may consider waiting.

Journeyman

Re: Sprint Store Solved Charging Issue For Me

14Knight: Tell that to the tech dude at the Sprtin Store I visited. I didn't know I was allowed to approve the fix. I handed him my phone and this is what he did. Is there an "approved" fix? If so, what is it? What other problems might arise if people try this fix. Be specific since many people are likely to try this. If you are just speculating that's fine, but you should be clear about that.

Journeyman

Re: Sprint Store Solved Charging Issue For Me

fidodoody: The only way the phones would charge was with a car charger. One was stuck on the Android boot screen. He had to factory reset that one. He did the fix on both phones and now they will charge with a wall charger. I look at this as temporary solution only, since as you mentioned there are a multitude of isses after the "update".

Journeyman

UPDATE: I was able to get the two phones to charge to 100% after the fix outlined in the original post. Now that my daughters have had an opportunity to use the phones for a few hours they are telling me that the phone seems a bit more responsive. They seem to like what the update has done to the UI. I haven't had an opportunity to gauge battery life yet. I have read some people saying their battery life took a hit after the update, but I have a feeling that most people are going to have to re-tweak their settings to improve battery life. The update seems to have put everything back to default in terms of screen settings, etc.

I downloaded the Gingerbread keyboard from the market (mentioned in another thread). Word prediction is functional and my daughters seem to like it. I have not seen any of the SD card issues (thankfully). I still haven't figured out the USB driver issue yet. On the whole I am in a much better place now that the phones are charging and I should be OK until the update to the update is released.

Master

From what I've been able to dig up... the Google Services Framework manages Google Account login information for all applications on the device. So anything that interfaces with a Google account would go through this background application. This includes Gmail, Market (and by extension every Android application that supports updates, which is all of them), Youtube, etc.

Since it is so tightly integrated into everything on the phone, it would make sense that clearing hte information could fix issues. However, I can't find anything more than that about it. I can't find EXACTLY what it stores/interfaces with, etc. so there is a good chance it may mess something else up that you can't see or haven't noticed yet. It's not like clearing the data for Contact Storage, where you know that he only information remvoed twith that is contacts. Bcause of how integrated this is... many things could be affected.

As elsewhere here in the Community... to fix USB Charging/Mass Storage you need to now use the LG-provided USB driver from here, the built-in Microsoft one no longer will work correctly with the latest update

http://www.lg.com/us/support/mc-support/drivers/LG%20_USB%20_Drivers_All_4.9.7.zip

Journeyman

Gregin120,

I tried the fix you mentioned and did not correct my issue. My phone will not charge when plugged in with the AC adapter or car charger. It will charge off of the USB with the new LG drivers installed. Just thought I would report back on your possible fix. It is a no go for me. I am willing to try just about anything now. Sprint directed me to LG, LG said I have to send it in which will take 5-7 days once they recieve it. I am not to that point yet as so many people are having issues. SPRINT! you are on your last leg with me, you better come through. I do not under stand why they could just leave the OS alone. It was FINE!

Journeyman

Ending the framework process would only be an issue and create more issues if you did not immediately reboot the phone, which the OP stated had been done.

Why is it that clueless Sprint reps feel the need to chime in and step on peoples toes when they share a viable solution to a problem? Maybe if you spent more time creating threads teaching people phone management and Android basics you wouldnt be putting out fires everytime an update is released.

halcyoncmdr123 wrote:

From what I've been able to dig up... the Google Services Framework manages Google Account login information for all applications on the device. So anything that interfaces with a Google account would go through this background application. This includes Gmail, Market (and by extension every Android application that supports updates, which is all of them), Youtube, etc.

Since it is so tightly integrated into everything on the phone, it would make sense that clearing hte information could fix issues. However, I can't find anything more than that about it. I can't find EXACTLY what it stores/interfaces with, etc. so there is a good chance it may mess something else up that you can't see or haven't noticed yet. It's not like clearing the data for Contact Storage, where you know that he only information remvoed twith that is contacts. Bcause of how integrated this is... many things could be affected.

As elsewhere here in the Community... to fix USB Charging/Mass Storage you need to now use the LG-provided USB driver from here, the built-in Microsoft one no longer will work correctly with the latest update

http://www.lg.com/us/support/mc-support/drivers/LG%20_USB%20_Drivers_All_4.9.7.zip

Wizard

Please refer to this thread for status on the issues being experienced after the update.

Journeyman

I was sooooooo hopeful this would have fixed this same issue on my phone....but it didn't.

Master

been.jammin1 wrote:

Why is it that clueless Sprint reps feel the need to chime in and step on peoples toes when they share a viable solution to a problem? Maybe if you spent more time creating threads teaching people phone management and Android basics you wouldnt be putting out fires everytime an update is released.

The reason we post in threads is because most of the time the "viable solutions" aren't in fact viable, and when there aren't disclaimers posted anywhere near the top people do things to their phone that then invalidate a warranty (i.e. root because some random person on the Internet said it would help without giving them the downsides, like a voided warranty) or break other things. We may not have a working answer to the question at hand, but if we did not provide the alternatives when other users in the Community aren't, then we would be negligent and some people would assume we were endorsing the posts.

There are already threads about the basics of Android and phone management, but most people simply don't read them because they don't care until something breaks. Personally, I have been trying to make even more new threads recently related to basics and frequently asked questions and gettting them featured so they stay on top longer.

I think I was straight forward in my response that I did not know exactly what the framework did, but that based on what I was able to find on the Internet that it was integrated and could potentially cause other issues because of that. I did not state it would, but that it was simply a possibility.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat