cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't hear incoming text messages when I am on the phone - help?

Journeyman

It is imperitive that I received text messages promptly, as I have a sick child. But, on my brand new Optimus S, I am not sure if we will make it. Volume seems low, sound quality seems poor, but I am trying to adjust to these. But, when I am on the phone and a text comes in, the phone doesnt beep or notify me.

I have looked and cannot find how to change the settings to notify me when I am on the phone. Does anyone know how this is done?

Greatly appreciated.

So far, besides sound quality, the phone is pretty slick (also battery life isnt very good).

Any help would be appreciated.

--Paul in MA

3 REPLIES 3
Master

I tested the Optimus we have in our phone room and if you install Handcent SMS, under the notification settings, there is an option to play ringtone while on call.  I tested it myself and it absolutely works.  I hope that helps!

Journeyman

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. So, being new to this phone, where do I get this Handcent SMS? and are there any downsides to this SMS over the one that comes native? are we pretty sure that the messaging system that came on the phone cannot notify during a call? Thisis the one with the green smily face icon...

Wizard

Android phones are very customizable with applications from the Android market.  This allows the user to power up the phone (which results in higher battery usage), or to minimize the various options (which increases battery life).  As a result of the near infinite possibilites, these phones can take a lot of time to customize to the specific user.  Not everyone wants to be able to have this many options, so perhaps Android phones aren't suited for them.

There are other phones that limit what a user can do with the phone, which results in greater ease of use.  For example, the iPhone or Blackberry greatly limit what a user can do compared to an Android device.

If you decide an Android device sounds lit a good fit for you, you'll eventually be trying out various programs, and reading user reviews about apps.  Just read the reviews for Handcent, try out the app if you think it's right for you, and if you don't like it, uninstall and try another app.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat