cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

daylight savings

Journeyman

daylight savings

does sprint automatically change the time or do we have to do it ourselves? 

7 REPLIES 7
Sprint Product Ambassador

daylight savings

Depends on your phone -- most phones pull their time from the network, which does update for DST changes.  I believe some older Windows Mobile phones do not.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

daylight savings

So im guessing the old flip phone with no network isn't gonna magically change itself.. okay thanks.. i hope.

Wizard

Re: daylight savings

Will, my phone pulls its time from the network.  There is no function available for me to adjust the time on the Optimus S.  However, my phone did not have the correct time as of 8:30 am EDT (it showed 7:30 am) on Sunday March 13th.  As of 9:00 am EDT, the phone was still incorrect.  I called *2 to see if something was wrong.  The message said, if you are calling concerning daylight savings time, please reboot your phone.  I never had to reboot the phone in the past, so why now?  I decided not to reboot the phone.  At precisely 9:30 am EDT (I was watching it), the phone magically showed 9:30 am as the time, without rebooting.

My $60 kitchen radio had the correct time, so why was the Sprint network wrong?  And why would Sprint try to tell me it's my fault the phone's time is wrong?

I would have been much more appreciative if Sprint just said, "There are some Sprint network towers that have not been updated with Daylight Savings Time.  This will be rectified at 9:30 am EDT.  We apologize for the inconvenience."

Community Manager

Re: daylight savings

Looks like the same discussion is going on in the LG Optimus forums, and has a possible answer.  So I will move this post over.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/268552#268552

Crusader for Customer Advocacy
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".
Wizard

daylight savings

I suppose it's similar, but there are a couple notable differences.

The discussion you link to is one about manually adjusting time zones.  My time zone is correct, and I do not wish to adjust the time to be different from the network time.  I just wish for the network time to be correct, and for Sprint not to blame me for failing to reboot my phone.  Clearly, my phone does not need a reboot to get the time from the network.

I think it is poor relations to blame the customer when the customer is not at fault.

Community Manager

daylight savings

Since the original post was answered my intent was to help you find a more suitable thread to find an answer to your specific question, which mentioned the LG Optimus.  If the post I linked is not relevant you have a couple of options, post a new one, search to find something more relevant, or you are welcome to continue to post to this thread, but it was already answered so you may not get as much traffic to this thread as one that has not been answered.  I am not implying fault, just trying to get you an answer.

Thank you,

Crusader for Customer Advocacy
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".
Wizard

daylight savings

I see what you mean that the original post is assumed answered, and may soon be marked as answered.  Also, I was not suggesting that you (personally) are implying fault. 

I was saying that Sprint (the company) was implying fault by suggesting my failure to reboot the phone is the cause of it not being updated to daylight savings time.  I don't think it's a good idea to blame the customer.  In addition, at precisely 9:30 am EDT my phone automatically updated to the correct daylight savings time without rebooting.  Thus, it may be possible that the network for my area was not updated at 2:am.

The answer that Will posted can lead a person to believe that when a phone pulls its time from the network, it will automatically update for daylight savings time.  However, the assumption is that the Sprint network is automatically updated with daylight savings time, which may be an incorrect assumption.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat