cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fix for the lg optimus s issues

Highlighted
Journeyman

fix for the lg optimus s issues

There is a problem with the lg optimus s that needs to be addressed.  First, I love my optimus, until a few weeks ago that is.  I had no problems with it for about 3 months, then is suddenly started on its own, discharged the battery when connected to the charger (sometimes) and basically I couldn't count on it to work when needed.  Sprint was no help on this.  I was advised to buy a new battery (on a 3 month old phone)  I actually did this as I did not want to be without a phone.  That didn't help with the issues I was having.  Now, not trusting the Sprint techs, I went online.  I found a simple fix that involved replacing and upgrading the sd card.  Got an 8 gb to replace the 2 gb that came with the phone. Worked and a simple inexpensive fix at that.  Sprint should be fixing this problem, its ridiculous.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Journeyman

My battery is horrible too . . . where is this issue documented?  Thanks.

Highlighted
Wizard

With an Android device, your battery will be less than your typical flip phone.  From what I can tell, here are the typical battery life times:

• Horrible battery life would be 4 hours.  (heavy internet gamers and people who spend a lot of time in elevators or concrete buildings)
  • Average Androids get about 9 hours.  (typical users)
  • Good battery life is about 15 hours.  (typical users who have implemented battery saving techniques and use wifi at home)
  • Awesome battery life is if it lasts 24 hours or more. (wifi only users who have implemented battery saving techniques)
Highlighted
Journeyman

Turning off some of the features like constant sync, screen brightness, live games, etc,  will help with battery life.  also turning off these features during charging will help charge battery faster.   You might want to try downloading Juice Defender, I am using it and it does help save battery.  I still believe its a decent phone for the price, but its not for heavy usage or demand. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too am having battery issues all of a sudden - the Optimus S has worked fine since Dec & just within the past couple of weeks I can't seem to get it to hold a charge all day.  And I haven't changed any of my phone habits (i.e. usage, texting, app downloading).  I've even tried putting the phone into airplane mode at night & it still will die during the night.  Do you think that the new SD card should do the trick?  I have never received any error messages that I've seen other Optimus S users complain about.  Thoughts, opinions?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Upgrading the sd card is a $30 fix and it worked for me.  And when I remember to turn off the sd card during times when I'm not using the phone, then I get great battery life up to a day and a half.  I also bought an extra battery but then there is the issue of getting both batteries fully charged because you need to use the phone to charge them.  I haven't had any weird stuff (original post) since I changed out the sd card.   If anything is stored on your original sd card you will need to download to your computer.  Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Journeyman

correction to above:  I meant turn off the sync when not need.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This worked for me.....hope it works on your phone:

After two weeks of trying different settings on my LG Optimus S, i finally got my phone to where the battery will last 18+ hours on a single charge.  I did not want to load or configure any "task Killer" app, so I stuck with modifying the settings.  The one setting that I've achieved the best results is turning off 3G data when not specifically using it:

Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Data Enabled (unclick this box)

Of course you'll have to enable it if you're web browsing or streaming data, but when not using it and by turning off Data, the 3G won't be actively sucking up your battery's power.  You'll still see the Cell Standby reflect 50% or more (this seems to be common for my area, even with good coverage), and you can even keep "Use GPS satellites" enabled.  I do recommend Prior to this, my LG Optimus battery would barely last 8 hours on a full charge without even using it!  I tried the airplane mode trick throughout the day but it wouldn't extend the battery life by much, and found it to be a rather stupid suggestion....what good is a phone if you can't receive or call people.  That's all there is to it!!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat